OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Transportation topics in KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: New Broadway Bridge

Post by KCPowercat »

Does this fall in the 1% for arts ? Could dress it up with that.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I guess I can't really tell how this is improving downtown, other than replacing a worn out bridge. I thought one of the goals was to improve the experience in the north loop. Does this do that?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:19 am Does this fall in the 1% for arts ? Could dress it up with that.
The east side of the bridge has pylons about every 20 feet that light up. Boom. Art

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:02 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:51 pm Worse than I could’ve imagined
I’m disgusted. I see high speed lanes and added capacity. This is the wrong direction for downtown.
I take back these comments. Aside from the high speed right turn lane, it appears that the intersection is smaller than before. They are removing the on ramp from Broadway northbound onto i70 (remove the north loop).

They are also adding a second through lane on 5th/Independence which is probably needed if i70 is closed.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

smh wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:10 pm I guess I can't really tell how this is improving downtown, other than replacing a worn out bridge. I thought one of the goals was to improve the experience in the north loop. Does this do that?
I'm starting to feel this way, as well. Why should this not be fully funded by the state? It just helps suburbanites living in one part of the city blow past DT to get to jobs in another part of the city more easily. Someone tell me how this helps rebuild DT or get more people to live here.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Exactly what I have imagined all along. Looks terrible. Another big step back for KC infrastructure which is stuck in 1975. But at least you don't have to tap the brakes to get to I-35 south!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

RIP.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

flyingember wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:09 pm
normalthings wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:02 pm
I’m disgusted. I see high speed lanes and added capacity. This is the wrong direction for downtown.
It’s actually going to mean far fewer cars into downtown.

Remember, 100% of the cars on the new overpasses travel into downtown via 6th St today.

This caused massive backups on Broadway all the way from 5th to ~12th and Indep Ave towards Delaware.

This project will free up space on Broadway and Indep Ave and enable a better pedestrian experience.

It will encourage working downtown vs taking 635 or 435 around to JoCo because through traffic past downtown won’t be mixed with downtown workers.
When taking people to visit downtown I would take Broadway just because it had some traffic on it and made KC feel less deserted. Most of downtown KCMO's streets are totally empty nearly all the time compared to just about any other city in the country.

I get that you want a better ped experience, but you don't do that by building more freeway overpasses and make the area less interesting by removing historic bridges and replacing them with boring crap. Why would anybody want walk across this new bridge?

I honest to god will never understand the urban planning that happens in KC. Why not build the Crossroads and Country Club Freeways too while you are at it.
Last edited by GRID on Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Not necessarily RIP.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:42 pm Not necessarily RIP.
If the Broadway Bridge stays and becomes part of a larger recreational plan for downtown then they can do what they want with the new bridge. I just don't see that happening.

And if it does happen, I don't see it being properly funded, designed and implemented in a way that it would be successful.

KC just does not seem capable of doing such a thing. Just being honest.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Also curious what happened to the bike path. The ped path in the rendering is just a sidewalk.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Is that white stripe to the right the bike path? Will be a good place to watch Berkely riverfront fireworks and airshows. And I will no longer be terrified seeing pedestrians awkwardly crossing the present bridge. Could 1% for art put statuary gracing it like bridges in Europa or would that just be targetry for vandalism?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

smh wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:05 pm Also curious what happened to the bike path. The ped path in the rendering is just a sidewalk.
It's a 10' bike path. I am pretty sure that is what has been advertised the entire time. It does look like there is unused space on the care side that could be utilized for a wider path.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:45 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:42 pm Not necessarily RIP.
If the Broadway Bridge stays and becomes part of a larger recreational plan for downtown then they can do what they want with the new bridge. I just don't see that happening.

And if it does happen, I don't see it being properly funded, designed and implemented in a way that it would be successful.

KC just does not seem capable of doing such a thing. Just being honest.
I'm honestly surprised we are still an incorporated city.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

They show the ped lane lighting shifting from white to red to blue. Think this can't pass FAA? The northbound bridge at the junction of both flyover ramps seems a lot higher than even the very high north end of the old Broadway bridge. Breaking it up into 2 separate bridges makes it a little less clunky than the HOA and a little more like a flyover from the GM world of the future at the 1964 World's Fair. It makes sense from a maintenance point if one span needs to be shut for major repair. No provision for a conversion of north loop with 70 east L&C viaduct traffic but to exit 35 south. Viaduct east of that exit would have to be deceleration to blvd speed.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

An easy way to improve this project would be to allow for archway apartments or retail spaces. A second would be to allow for development abutting the bridge similar to what it’s like today.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Wait so the pedestrian and bike areas are unprotected?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:41 am Wait so the pedestrian and bike areas are unprotected?
Looks like a low concrete wall, probably 3 or 4 foot. As long as it’s a permanent instillation and not a Jersey Barrier line I’ll be happy
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:20 am
WoodDraw wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:41 am Wait so the pedestrian and bike areas are unprotected?
Looks like a low concrete wall, probably 3 or 4 foot. As long as it’s a permanent instillation and not a Jersey Barrier line I’ll be happy
Yea it should be a standard divider. Looks like the walking path will be wider than most.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:03 am Exactly what I expected and I'm not outraged.
And it's design/build, so theoretically it could get better.