OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: We are getting a new airport!!!

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:06 pmWhy?
Rental car companies are hurting badly and they would have to sign off on (pay for) the APM
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

The new airport terminal won’t be completed for several years and the article implies that the transit system is projected for several years after that. We should know by the end of this year just how effective the vaccination effort against COVID will be.
Once we get back to “normal” and hopefully restart the economy, whatever rental car companies are left will be needed if travel returns to normal patterns. I actually think travel could explode due to pent up demand. I know we are eager to travel again. At that point the transit system could become a reality. We just need to study and plan now for the anticipated uptick.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Major KC Fan wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:52 pm The new airport terminal won’t be completed for several years and the article implies that the transit system is projected for several years after that. We should know by the end of this year just how effective the vaccination effort against COVID will be.
Once we get back to “normal” and hopefully restart the economy, whatever rental car companies are left will be needed if travel returns to normal patterns. I actually think travel could explode due to pent up demand. I know we are eager to travel again. At that point the transit system could become a reality. We just need to study and plan now for the anticipated uptick.
I agree, I think travel will rebound within the next year or two due to a lot of pent up demand and vaccination. I know savings rate of American households has been going up with everyone staying home.

The distance from the new terminal to the rental car facility is a mile-ish. I would also highly encourage the KCI team to use standard gauge rail versus a mono-rail type APM so that this can serve as a trailhead for a longer transit route to the airport in the decades down the road.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

alejandro46 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:20 pm I would also highly encourage the KCI team to use standard gauge rail versus a mono-rail type APM so that this can serve as a trailhead for a longer transit route to the airport in the decades down the road.
I don't know if it would make a huge difference to have the system coordinate with any future light rail, like MetroLink in St. Louis, or if the APM was an entirely separate system, like AirTrain at JFK or SFO. If the intra-airport transit is going to have multiple stations at the Rental Car Center, terminal, economy parking, etc., then having it as part of the light rail system means you have to make it free within the airport and then confirm fares are collected for any travel beyond the airport, assuming we can't do the fare-free setup on that system like we have for the Streetcar.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Sani wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:21 pm I don't know if it would make a huge difference to have the system coordinate with any future light rail, like MetroLink in St. Louis, or if the APM was an entirely separate system, like AirTrain at JFK or SFO. If the intra-airport transit is going to have multiple stations at the Rental Car Center, terminal, economy parking, etc., then having it as part of the light rail system means you have to make it free within the airport and then confirm fares are collected for any travel beyond the airport, assuming we can't do the fare-free setup on that system like we have for the Streetcar.
Free fare zones are done on other systems. I have 100% confidence that any future shared transit system at the airport could handle this well.
Take rail out of the picture, running city busses as a common system could work the same way.

Here's one example
https://www.rideuta.com/Fares-And-Passes/Free-Fare-Zone
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

flyingember wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:08 amFree fare zones are done on other systems. I have 100% confidence that any future shared transit system at the airport could handle this well.
Take rail out of the picture, running city busses as a common system could work the same way.

Here's one example
https://www.rideuta.com/Fares-And-Passes/Free-Fare-Zone
It's definitely doable, no question. I guess I'm wondering if the higher cost of an airport system that is standard light rail vs. an APM would make it less likely to get anything built at all. But no one ever accused me of being an optimist.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Facebook photo dump from the past few weeks.

Last Y column installed
MEP install ongoing
Drywall has started

https://www.facebook.com/pg/BuildKCI/ph ... e_internal

Head House

The dark steel will hold up the full height glass facade. That bit of horizontal steel at the bottom of the photo is the vestibule canopy.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?van ... 7708267455

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Runway 1L is going to be rebuilt. This will become the main runway once the new terminal opens.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

This is going up much faster than I expected. Is it ahead of schedule? How many on-site workers, peak concurrent.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

normalthings wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:21 am Runway 1L is going to be rebuilt. This will become the main runway once the new terminal opens.
What's the timeframe on that? I can see from the satellite view that 1R/19L was rebuilt sometime in the last few years.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Sani wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:47 am
normalthings wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:21 am Runway 1L is going to be rebuilt. This will become the main runway once the new terminal opens.
What's the timeframe on that? I can see from the satellite view that 1R/19L was rebuilt sometime in the last few years.
Bidding now. Hope to get it done before the terminal opens.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:19 am This is going up much faster than I expected. Is it ahead of schedule? How many on-site workers, peak concurrent.

I’m guessing how ahead/behind they are at this point became irrelevant since the opening date would have been picked based upon the current status, and they announced than on Dec 9, 2020

At that point the calendar would have been effectively reset. Before it was always “early 2023” which could be Jan to April or so.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:57 pm
Steel for the lounge is going up
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

https://open.spotify.com/episode/7dzQvU ... jsOFkHLu9A

Justin Meyer & David Long of the Aviation department interviewing for the Airport Experience podcast. Not much new information, but they go in depth pretty well into the project.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Heather will be happy let's hope
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

This is really cool, but they should have an airlock where the kids come out and are just soaked in disinfectant lol
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

The glass on the control tower looks cheap.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:26 pm Heather will be happy let's hope
She loves it!

An interesting stat that touches on the complexity of the new terminal project: The MEP team alone had to address ~7,000 conflicts during design.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Shows you the scale of things