NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.

Which would you rather have?

NHL
44%
NBA
56%

Total votes: 195

brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Austin seems like its ripe for a new expansion team, unless there are so many transplants they dont care about sports
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Tampa Bay
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

mgsports wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:29 pmTampa Bay
I thought they were struggling to supoort their 2 existing teams.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Seattle & Vegas NHL teams will do everything in their power to try & stop this at the same time they attempt to build up a fan base.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

normalthings wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:42 pm Nashville. San Diego. Las Vegas. A city in Canada or Mexico.
Nashville has Memphis a few hours away, so I doubt that would happen. San Diego is a terrible sports town. We don't really know how well the Raiders will sell in Vegas but I'd be surprised by multiple teams jumping into that market. You might see them expand to a smaller city with no major league team, like a Louisville or Austin (did get MLS expansion). Canada is a hard no. Vancouver couldn't make it and I don't see demand there. Kansas City would draw from St. Louis, which doesn't have a team, and a vast area of the Midwest states. We have a solid arena that might need a few upgrades but ready to go. I'd still prefer NHL.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Tampa Bay has the Raptors for the season.
Jacksonville or San Jose or Pittsburgh. Yes to KC and St. Louis. New Jersey again.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

Here's a good article in CNBC about Kansas City's odds. It seems like the overall consensus is Seattle is a lock and we've got a good shot but really need to find someone/group to pony up the money

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/14/kansas- ... vegas.html
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Biggest takeaway I took from that was that the "Kansas City Monarchs" has already been registered by an unnamed party. Not the NBA.
tskev
Ambassador

Post by tskev »

“If Kansas has that in their corner, and Las Vegas did not have a solid ownership group, then that could tilt the scales” said Patrick Rishe, sports business director at Washington University in St. Louis.

:roll:
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

The Hunt family has an estimated net worth of 15.3 billion dollars and already has a minority stake in the Chicago Bulls. Maybe the answer is obvious.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:25 am Biggest takeaway I took from that was that the "Kansas City Monarchs" has already been registered by an unnamed party. Not the NBA.
NFL NFL NFL
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

alejandro46 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:24 pm The Hunt family has an estimated net worth of 15.3 billion dollars and already has a minority stake in the Chicago Bulls. Maybe the answer is obvious.
A local billionaire is not required as long as a billionaire is interested in owning an NBA team and analysis shows KC would have a good ROI. Plenty of NFL owners don't live where their teams are.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:24 pm
shinatoo wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:25 am Biggest takeaway I took from that was that the "Kansas City Monarchs" has already been registered by an unnamed party. Not the NBA.
NFL NFL NFL
Thats my suspition, Hunts are holding for the inevidable name change.

Or to name their NBA team...
kas1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kas1 »

The women's soccer team that's coming to Kansas City was said to be changing its name to the Monarchs. Cant find any official source from a brief search.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

Per the team twitter they haven't selected a name yet but are forming a Brand Advisory Council to develop their permanent brand and name to announce next season. https://twitter.com/KCWoSo/status/1349053511296839682
kas1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kas1 »

Right. The point I was trying to make was just that they were already said to be interested in the name and so they are probably the ones who registered it. I randomly came across something recently saying that the idea had been pitched to the players and was received positively.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

The new Owner of Royals.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

If NBA filters it down to KC/Vegas, any interested billionaire NBA fan anywhere will probably look at the data for both markets and decide if they want to jump in. Might even create a bidding war. An owner based in city is hardly needed, but would help if they invest their mindset into city.

Before COVID would have thought Vegas has better shot, but their economy is hardest hit and could take a while to return. KC economy better than avg and well established sports town with plenty of basketball ties.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

The first sports team to be in downtown wins. It literally would be money hand over fist. We have zero current nightlife/entertainment sports teams. Having an NBA or NHL team in T-Mobile would feel different. It would be edgy and young compared to more family oriented Royals or SKC. Wish I had a $B.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Some wealthy families in KC:
Bloch - Uhlmann: possible (but money was just diffused by an estate transfer)
Kauffman: already invested in the Royals, don't think she wants another franchise
Hall: I have a suspicion that business is off (not publicly traded so hard to say), and they have their hands full with Crown Center
Kemper - Thornton: possible. Sandy was sporty as I recall, not sure about Mariner
Gates: A lot more money than people realize, but they better fix those elevators at SF Tower!
Lockton: They all played basketball at SME, so why not?

Others: Brandmeyer, Merriman, Ball, Dunn, Haverty, Helzberg, the Garmin guys, Stowers

I'm not sure any one of these families would plunk down a billion, but they're certainly all liquid in the multiple millions. the GKCCoC is pretty adept at getting the KC "elite" to play ball.
lol