Tiffany Springs

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Tiffany Springs

Post by mgsports »

Developersanonymous
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: Tiffany Springs

Post by Developersanonymous »

where did you find this link in the City website?
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

By search board and commissions.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Why is anybody building any retail in any suburban area right now. This country is so overbuilt with suburban retail and it's just now starting to get corrected and we are going to have millions more sq ft of vacant retail in the next year or so. Kansas is still STAR bonding new retail construction in Overland Park. Absolutely asinine. Figure out how to fill up zona rosa and redevelop metro north mall's land. Nothing else should happen north of the river till that happens.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

But at least those OP developments are getting places not sitting empty like some in Olathe are on 119th Street are.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

mgsports wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:22 pm But at least those OP developments are getting places not sitting empty like some in Olathe are on 119th Street are.
Oak Park Mall will be mostly empty and have lost all of its anchors within two years. Mark my words. There is zero reason or demand to be building new retail in most suburban areas and to subsidize new retail construction with tax money, especially in affluent suburban areas, is just off the charts stupid. It's one of the reasons this country is in such bad shape. Our infrastructure and transit and medical care is shit, but we give developers tax breaks to build retail we don't need which causes more stress on infrastructure more decay and blight due to abandoned structures and more suburban sprawl as people flee to the "new" parts of suburbs.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

https://www.statista.com/statistics/105 ... worldwide/

This is quickly correcting itself and that graph does not even include all the vacant retail in America.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:43 pm
mgsports wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:22 pm But at least those OP developments are getting places not sitting empty like some in Olathe are on 119th Street are.
Oak Park Mall will be mostly empty and have lost all of its anchors within two years. Mark my words. There is zero reason or demand to be building new retail in most suburban areas and to subsidize new retail construction with tax money, especially in affluent suburban areas, is just off the charts stupid. It's one of the reasons this country is in such bad shape. Our infrastructure and transit and medical care is shit, but we give developers tax breaks to build retail we don't need which causes more stress on infrastructure more decay and blight due to abandoned structures and more suburban sprawl as people flee to the "new" parts of suburbs.
I've never understood the rationale for using tax incentives for retail developments in suburbia. It really does the city no good at all. The jobs created are generally low paying and the profit doesn't get re-invested in the city, it leaves the metro and goes back to the home office of the various retail companies. If the demand was there, the retail would be there but even relatively new Zona Rosa cannot even keep tenants casting doubt on demand. I guess it does generate property and sales tax but unless residents are routinely leaving the jurisdiction to shop elsewhere, the city is just making it more difficult for the existing tax base to compete with newer tax exempt retail.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... trium.html
1,872 new housing units and about 1.1 million square feet of commercial, retail and office development on 834 Northland acres

Built in phases through 2060. Looked at a few houses here years ago, seemed OK, but I wouldn't want to be in Platte County High School, which is a decent drive. Will be better when new HS is built within the 435-loop.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

That's the first 5%. The city opened up space for 100,000 people

School aged will be 15,000 of that.

With the full buildout Platte County R3 might be a top 5 school district in the metro. They'll need to open 2 high schools and the feeder system to support it. That's a district the size of Lee's Summit today
Last edited by flyingember on Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Hopefully get new Commercial.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mgsports wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:13 am Hopefully get new Commercial.
Hopefully not. There's dozens of under developed or unfinished commercial spaces within 10 minutes. Some spaces have sat empty for years.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

I've spent the last decade driving all over that area since it's still mostly rural & relaxing. All to be chopped down in the name of further progress yet again. Shame.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

The Northland is really KCMO last chance to expand and build it's tax base. It's untapped potential, and been sitting like that for years. Nobody wants to say woo-hoo suburban sprawl! But honestly is shocking how far behind the Northland lacks in amenities compared to other middle/upper middle class areas. Some of it comes with it being so easy to get to any other part of the Metro quickly. We are very spoiled with easy access to downtown and highways to get us to the hot spots of other areas. I live close enough to downtown where I can see the buildings off my deck, but I still have what you would expect from a "quieter" suburban setting. As a resident of the Northland, and having grown up here, I enjoy seeing the development, and hope it brings with it some of the other national chains and such that JOCO gets. I'd also like to see more commercial development to help create business opportunities that flow easily from up here to downtown. Plenty of space to fill in, and use what we have. Ideally love to see more business downtown as well (i wok downtown & a huge champion of it), with more people living close to it in the Northland. People want the family house when they start a family, nothing wrong with that. Come up North and get way more bang for your buck
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I just wish the City would learn its' lesson and zone residential on much smaller physical lot sizes, and return to a grid design. Any house on a large lot with huge yard should be assessed a premium fee on their property taxes to discourage it. Some of the development up there is ridiculous. It will become a financial drain on the City in 50 years when the infrastructure is deteriorating and failing.

These meandering streets with multiple cul-de-sacs also have to be discouraged. Kids have to walk or ride bikes four times the distance they need to just to go to a friend's house, or school. In some cases, their parents end up driving them. Emergency vehicles have to drive extra distance to reach calls. The meandering streets also would make it difficult to create more density later with accessory dwellings, or subdividing large existing lots for additional housing.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

vStreet grids are long past being realistic for new development. What is done, and the city is doing this, is major streets as a grid. You cross a creek only once and then the neighborhood doesn't cross it.

The meandering layouts actually have a very good reason in nearly every case. Water movement. Water movement gets you into environmental protection laws.

There's a neighborhood in Liberty from the 1980s to 2000s that's a great example, Canterbury (the one south and east of Liberty Drive)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Liber ... 94.3770704
Turn on terrain view

A lot of it was graded that way, but you can see how the roads are all based around the creek beds and grade. Like S Wales travels how it does to follow the topography

Amesbury, Bristol and Canterbury all run parallel to one creek, there's a shallow ridge

Streets that run perpindicular to these three streets follow the natural flow of the land towards the last street before the creek
Where Bristol turns towards Dunwich it's following the grade of the land

Homes then are built so they can stair step up and down the hill, having the street follow the grade makes this easier. They're all slightly higher than the street and driveway so water runoff will flow off the roof to between both houses and then towards the street

Backyard water can run downhill between homes. the backyard will be slightly lower than the homes with a low point where the fence line is. Yards become a giant swale
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Foutch Brothers will convert two office buildings, completed in 1987, in the Northland into 108 units of corporate housing.

Foutch will acquire, convert Tiffany Springs offices to multifamily
Foutch Brothers LLC is working to convert 7310 and 7410 NW Tiffany Springs Parkway to house 61 and 47 dwelling units, respectively, as the Corporate Circle Apartments.
Development plans depict 16 studio units, sized around 470 square feet; 81 one-bedroom units, around 600 square feet; and 11 two-bedroom units, around 960 square feet.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/7310 ... 9666?hl=en
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Tiffany Greens on Tuesday Agenda so is a Hy-Vee on Shoal Creek Parkway.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mgsports wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:58 pm Tiffany Greens on Tuesday Agenda so is a Hy-Vee on Shoal Creek Parkway.
That was last week's agenda.

The Hy-Vee mentioned isn't going to be in Tiffany Springs but at N. Oak
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Yes I knew that but reporting that Tiffany Greens was on it.