Politics

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Politics

Post by longviewmo »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:29 pm
Major KC Fan wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:20 pm Today’s events have depleted my emotions like few others I have witnessed over my lifetime. Our American democracy was literally under attack by a group of pathetic seditious “deplorables” that don’t deserve the title of Americans. They have every right to demonstrate with their street and boat parades, etc. but to attack our government while our duly elected Congress is conducting the people’s business, as ordained by the Constitution, is beyond the pale.
The role of the Chief Instigator, King Orange, and his supplicants (Hawley, Marshall-are you listening?), in fueling this travesty strips them of any claim of being “patriots”.
The Republican Party, once a standard of freedom and democracy in this country, seems irreparably ruined. I am totally saddened by this event and fear for the next few weeks that we have to endure before we can move forward.
Years of the language you just used absolutely helped fuel today’s events. Calling his supporters (even the law abiding ones) deplorable and the duly elected POTUS names like King Orange for 4 years was one of many ingredients that lead to today’s explosive situation.
Just ignore eight years of calling Obama a whole litany of stupid and often racist names? Cheeto Jesus is just reaping what he’s sown since he launched with the birther crap.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

longviewmo wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:24 am
Major KC Fan wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:20 pm Today’s events have depleted my emotions like few others I have witnessed over my lifetime. Our American democracy was literally under attack by a group of pathetic seditious “deplorables” that don’t deserve the title of Americans. They have every right to demonstrate with their street and boat parades, etc. but to attack our government while our duly elected Congress is conducting the people’s business, as ordained by the Constitution, is beyond the pale.
The role of the Chief Instigator, King Orange, and his supplicants (Hawley, Marshall-are you listening?), in fueling this travesty strips them of any claim of being “patriots”.
The Republican Party, once a standard of freedom and democracy in this country, seems irreparably ruined. I am totally saddened by this event and fear for the next few weeks that we have to endure before we can move forward.
Years of the language you just used absolutely helped fuel today’s events. Calling his supporters (even the law abiding ones) deplorable and the duly elected POTUS names like King Orange for 4 years was one of many ingredients that lead to today’s explosive situation.
Just ignore eight years of calling Obama a whole litany of stupid and often racist names? Cheeto Jesus is just reaping what he’s sown since he launched with the birther crap.
It's classic snowflake concerns to ignore racist bullying while having troubles with name calling bullying

They're both bad but the former is way worse

I've decided many Trump supporters have extremely thin skin that makes the most insecure Obama supporter look like a saint.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Is Joe Manchin now the most powerful senator? He doesn't always side with the Dems on issue, i could even see the GOP courting Manchin to switch teams
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

grovester wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:38 am
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:53 am So what are we all thinking? Term limits for congressional members yet or what?
What part of what happened yesterday made you ask this question?
Nothing about yesterday, more so to do with both houses of Congress and their inability to pass a coherent stimulus bill, because both sides feel the need to constantly slip in BS that doesn’t pertain to the bill in the least.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:42 am
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:53 am So what are we all thinking? Term limits for congressional members yet or what?
Nothing about yesterday, more so to do with both houses of Congress and their inability to pass a coherent stimulus bill, because both sides feel the need to constantly slip in BS that doesn’t pertain to the bill in the least.
Understood.

The last bill was deliberately made, by agreement on both sides, to be a combination stimulus and regular spending bill.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

flyingember wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:32 am

It's classic snowflake concerns to ignore racist bullying while having troubles with name calling bullying

I've decided many Trump supporters have extremely thin skin that makes the most insecure Obama supporter look like a saint.
I certainly don’t remember it being mainstream to call Obama names while he was in office and there certainly wasn’t any late night hosts and hundreds of celebrities publicly calling Obama names. Nor were there any mainstream public folks with platforms calling Obama voters stupid, ignorant, deplorable, racist or hillbillies.

So pretend all you want but the name calling for 4 years just slowly stirred the pot. Acting like both sides haven’t contributed to the divisiveness over the last 4 years is ignorant at best.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:16 am

I certainly don’t remember it being mainstream to call Obama names while he was in office and there certainly wasn’t any late night hosts and hundreds of celebrities publicly calling Obama names. Nor were there any mainstream public folks with platforms calling Obama voters stupid, ignorant, deplorable, racist or hillbillies.

So pretend all you want but the name calling for 4 years just slowly stirred the pot. Acting like both sides haven’t contributed to the divisiveness over the last 4 years is ignorant at best.
He wasn't called names, it was worse

https://www.google.com/search?q=obama+r ... e&safe=off
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

flyingember wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:38 am

I believe DColeKc is trying to express the point that, while President Obama did in fact have people staunchly opposed to him, for a variety of reasons, he wasn’t publicly mocked by mainstream giants across the media, and that’s the difference in the two presidency’s. President trump was given no chance to truly present his presidency before CNN, MSNBC, and the mountains of Hollywood Celebrities who openly voiced hate towards the office of the president. Fox News did much the same thing with President Obama’s presidency, and you certainly had many (significantly smaller portions) of people who were spewing hate. It’s all about the amount, and by whom the hate was being spread, that is being pointed out here.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

grovester wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:04 am
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:42 am

Understood.

The last bill was deliberately made, by agreement on both sides, to be a combination stimulus and regular spending bill.
My issue is the fact that it shouldn’t have taken as long as it did. Why is it that items that don’t pertain to the issue of the bill are constantly added to said bill? Both sides are guilty of it, and career politicians exacerbate the problem ten-fold.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:21 pm
flyingember wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:38 am

I believe DColeKc is trying to express the point that, while President Obama did in fact have people staunchly opposed to him, for a variety of reasons, he wasn’t publicly mocked by mainstream giants across the media, and that’s the difference in the two presidency’s. President trump was given no chance to truly present his presidency before CNN, MSNBC, and the mountains of Hollywood Celebrities who openly voiced hate towards the office of the president. Fox News did much the same thing with President Obama’s presidency, and you certainly had many (significantly smaller portions) of people who were spewing hate. It’s all about the amount, and by whom the hate was being spread, that is being pointed out here.
Yes, you explained far better than I did what I was trying to say. I'm not pretending the birther thing didn't happen or that effigies of Obama were hung, but the amount of people pushing those negatives were minuscule compared to the popularity of calling Trump and his supporters names. Also, I almost never saw anyone bash someone who supported Obama, yet this time around millions of people opening say things like, "If you voted for Trump you're racist" or "Trump supporters are literarily dumb, how could anyone vote for him". It's one thing to openly attack the person who ran for office, even expected, but to insult people for a vote they cast isn't how a democracy is supposed to function.
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

Term limits are a hot button to rationalize a way to stop incompetent or dangerous politicians. We already have term limits-it’s called an election. Just as we value experience in the corporate world, we should also value experienced, principled career politicians. The office of the presidency wasn’t term-limited until Republicans feared another FDR term. It’s probably the one office that I do agree on a stated limit as it holds so much power in one person. A Senate full of Josh Hawleys is a scary thought when events such as yesterday occur. Thankfully some of the most political Republicans have suddenly fallen back on the side of constitutional order due to this event and have the experience to return to governing instead of posturing. I’m not sure a Congress full of newbies would take that course.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Fox railed against Obama for wearing a tan suit. Sure not all of media attacked Obama the same way, but he also acted presidential and didn’t spout conspiracy theories constantly.

Stop making excuses for the traitors. They made their bed and they should lie in it. Trump is not fit to be president, and that was clear from the start, he said before the first election that he would concede. Republicans have been chasing these peoples votes with closeted racism since the start of the southern strategy.

It’s time to reflect on why this happened and who instigated. If you supported him I would take a long hard look at why you believe what you do. And if you say economics then I suggest you look into the new study that says trickle down doesn’t work.

It’s time to listen, not to excuse
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Major KC Fan wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:50 pm Term limits are a hot button to rationalize a way to stop incompetent or dangerous politicians. We already have term limits-it’s called an election. Just as we value experience in the corporate world, we should also value experienced, principled career politicians. The office of the presidency wasn’t term-limited until Republicans feared another FDR term. It’s probably the one office that I do agree on a stated limit as it holds so much power in one person. A Senate full of Josh Hawleys is a scary thought when events such as yesterday occur. Thankfully some of the most political Republicans have suddenly fallen back on the side of constitutional order due to this event and have the experience to return to governing instead of posturing. I’m not sure a Congress full of newbies would take that course.
Thoroughly disagree on this take. You can’t rely on voting to be the only stop to politicians who have been in office too long. I do understand your closing point, it is important to have people who have experienced things in office, but you’d have a solid mix of people, as not every elected official would cycle at the same time. People who’ve been in congress for multiple decades however seem to lead a less than productive career towards the end, and serve to block items in the gov far more than producing lasting results.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

The difference is their respective behavior while in office. Trump lowered the level of discourse in politics to a new low. He was/is a shameless liar (he consistently lied about things that were not even debatable) and he said a lot of ridiculous things in his presidency that were incredibly stupid not to mention his numerous ethical breaches. There was no comparison between him and Obama; the latter went through his tenure with a great deal of dignity, competence and professionalism while Trump displayed none of these qualities. I agree that Trump was vilified by the press but I also think he brought that upon himself. I struggled to listen to Trump's populist message without being kind of offended by the lack of insight and depth; it was just a lot of undefined "make America great again" nonsense that sounded wonderful to some but lacked any real plan or clarity. Little wonder he became an object of scorn.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Riverite wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:57 pm Fox railed against Obama for wearing a tan suit. Sure not all of media attacked Obama the same way, but he also acted presidential and didn’t spout conspiracy theories constantly.

Stop making excuses for the traitors. They made their bed and they should lie in it. Trump is not fit to be president, and that was clear from the start, he said before the first election that he would concede. Republicans have been chasing these peoples votes with closeted racism since the start of the southern strategy.

It’s time to reflect on why this happened and who instigated. If you supported him I would take a long hard look at why you believe what you do. And if you say economics then I suggest you look into the new study that says trickle down doesn’t work.

I'm not making excuses for anyone. Why can't you be honest? I'm talking about what led up yesterday and yes, Trumps rhetoric 100% was much of it, if not most of it, but that doesn't mean the people who have name called and trashed Trump supporters didn't have a part in firing up his base. I've been saying this for years now. It's not smart calling half the population names and insulting their intelligence over a vote cast. The divisiveness wasn't solely due to Trump and his supporters.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Highlander wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:08 pm

The difference is their respective behavior while in office. Trump lowered the level of discourse in politics to a new low. He was/is a shameless liar (he consistently lied about things that were not even debatable) and he said a lot of ridiculous things in his presidency that were incredibly stupid not to mention his numerous ethical breaches. There was no comparison between him and Obama; the latter went through his tenure with a great deal of dignity, competence and professionalism while Trump displayed none of these qualities. I agree that Trump was vilified by the press but I also think he brought that upon himself. I struggled to listen to Trump's populist message without being kind of offended by the lack of insight and depth; it was just a lot of undefined "make America great again" nonsense that sounded wonderful to some but lacked any real plan or clarity. Little wonder he became an object of scorn.
No argument on your take from me. Obama and Trump were drastically different presidents and men.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:24 pm
Riverite wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:57 pm Fox railed against Obama for wearing a tan suit. Sure not all of media attacked Obama the same way, but he also acted presidential and didn’t spout conspiracy theories constantly.

I'm not making excuses for anyone. Why can't you be honest? I'm talking about what led up yesterday and yes, Trumps rhetoric 100% was much of it, if not most of it, but that doesn't mean the people who have name called and trashed Trump supporters didn't have a part in firing up his base. I've been saying this for years now. It's not smart calling half the population names and insulting their intelligence over a vote cast. The divisiveness wasn't solely due to Trump and his supporters.
I mean clearly it was a bad choice, they brought nooses I mean what the fuck do you call that?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Riverite wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:42 pm

I mean clearly it was a bad choice, they brought nooses I mean what the fuck do you call that?
I call what happened yesterday a disgrace, illegal and an act of terrorism. Anyone who broke a law, should be arrested and prosecuted. Nooses aren't illegal, but storming the capital is.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

You just used whataboutism in this paragraph.
"Trump was at fault, but what about the people name calling?"

That method is a propaganda method used to make excuses. You literally just made excuses after saying you're not making excuses.

Trump went out to a group of people and told them to march on the capital. No one name calling him made him do that or anyone do what he said.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

flyingember wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:59 pm
You just used whataboutism in this paragraph.
"Trump was at fault, but what about the people name calling?"

That method is a propaganda method used to make excuses. You literally just made excuses after saying you're not making excuses.

Trump went out to a group of people and told them to march on the capital. No one name calling him made him do that or anyone do what he said.
That's such a bullshit response. I'm not attempting to lessen the blame for what happened, which is what making excuses is. I'm talking about the fact that yesterday's speech by Trump wasn't the only thing that caused the situation to happen. This was a long time coming and one of many components that fueled the fire and divisiveness involves the way the anti-trump crowd has acted and spoken as well.

There is no excuse to storm the capital or to become violent. This is a bigger picture argument I'm making. Much like the death of George Flyod alone wasn't the reason our country saw historic protests this summer but years and years of racial injustice fueled that fire. Until some of you get off the idea that I'm "always defending Trump", you'll never look at my posts with a clear view.