OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: We are getting a new airport!!!

Post by GRID »

The new MCI reminds me a lot of the existing BWI, only the MCI garage is taller. But the garage is very close to the terminal and you have your typical two level arrivals and departure levels. There is nothing exciting about the BWI main terminals. The new terminal C is okay, but nothing amazing. Actually the new MCI terminal looks much nicer.

BWI "works" very well and I think that's where the new MCI will shine. KC will finally have a modern functioning airport terminal that people don't avoid like the plague. It will be an okay place to spend 30-60 minutes before a flight or for layovers.

I hope they build the people mover to the rental car facility (and sat parking).

I also would hope they install tech in the garage that tells you what floors have how many spaces and then give each flor a direct ramp to enter after the toll plaza. The main BWI garage has this and it's great. That way you can choose which floor and not have to go around multiple floors to get to an empty one or sit behind slow drivers trying to find empty spaces in the first floors when the top floors are empty.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah that was from the video drive up. Those new renderings display the same point. The garage dominates the approach. Every second of the day. No confirmation bias.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:02 pm Yeah that was from the video drive up. Those new renderings display the same point. The garage dominates the approach. Every second of the day. No confirmation bias.
If rail or APM happens, the station for that will go "in front of" the garage from the approach perspective.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Grid info think there is a direct ramp for each floor planned. Opposite side of the terminal.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Has there been any word of the airport doing a soft opening/stress test prior to official opening? Berlin recently did this for their new terminal where they had people check in for fake flights to test baggage systems, check-in/gate agent training with the new systems, and ground movements with aircraft on the new taxiways and ramps. They had volunteers show up to act as passengers, and it actually looked like a pretty cool experience, not to mention getting to experience the airport prior to official opening.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

We are still over 2 years away from opening.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:12 am We are still over 2 years away from opening.
I’m aware, Berlin had done this nearly 4 months from opening, but had put out requests for volunteers significantly earlier, from the video I had seen someone mentioned something about them having requests as early as 2018.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I don’t even know when I’ll leave my apartment next and they want me to volunteer for something in two years? Lol

Joking aside, it’s a fairly basic design at a not that busy airport. It’s probably going to be more training than stress testing.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Where are the international gates going to be?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:33 am Has there been any word of the airport doing a soft opening/stress test prior to official opening? Berlin recently did this for their new terminal where they had people check in for fake flights to test baggage systems, check-in/gate agent training with the new systems, and ground movements with aircraft on the new taxiways and ramps. They had volunteers show up to act as passengers, and it actually looked like a pretty cool experience, not to mention getting to experience the airport prior to official opening.
Yes. Testing will occur.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:14 pm Where are the international gates going to be?
Southside of the inner concourse.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:16 am
KCPowercat wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:12 am We are still over 2 years away from opening.
I’m aware, Berlin had done this nearly 4 months from opening, but had put out requests for volunteers significantly earlier, from the video I had seen someone mentioned something about them having requests as early as 2018.
We can't even get renderings out of them.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:40 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:16 am
We can't even get renderings out of them.
It’s two different companies

One is a sub contractor, the other is the city
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

Do we know how or if the economy lots will be reconfigured or rebranded once the new terminal opens, since we won't need three separate lots for three separate terminals? Will they just leave them as-is and run three different shuttles to the new terminal, one for each lot?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Sani wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:55 am Do we know how or if the economy lots will be reconfigured or rebranded once the new terminal opens, since we won't need three separate lots for three separate terminals? Will they just leave them as-is and run three different shuttles to the new terminal, one for each lot?
I believe we will have a primary lot and then overflow.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Isn't that the whole idea of a new economy lot and APM being attached to that and the rental car facility? I'm sure we'd keep at least one of the current lots too but probably don't need them all.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

Is the APM definitely happening? I mean, it'd be awesome, but they aren't cheap. How would it run, like a reverse J from Rental Car Center --> Terminal --> Economy Parking? Maybe put in a station at the Marriott as well?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Sani wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:38 pm Is the APM definitely happening? I mean, it'd be awesome, but they aren't cheap. How would it run, like a reverse J from Rental Car Center --> Terminal --> Economy Parking? Maybe put in a station at the Marriott as well?
There is a plan for it somewhere on KCRAG. I assume an APM is no longer in the cards.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Why?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

It was all news about a study, it was never in the cards unless the study said it was. Plan to open 2-4 years after the terminal best case.
https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/kc ... ew-airport

But let’s say it is happening, it absolutely needs to be built using standard gauge rail, or designed so it could be converted.
Interestingly. If one is built it would be about 1.5 miles from lot B to the new terminal

If we assume NKC gets 4 miles of rail funded to 32nd there’s the first two projects of the ~20.5 mile route to get rail to the airport. Rail to the airport would be 25% done between them. That’s a great start to the system.