Remodeling Town Pavillion

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Remodeling Town Pavillion

Post by im2kull »

normalthings wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:23 pm
TOWN PAVILION REIMAGINED

The historic Town Pavilion building gets an art-focused upgrade. Improvements will drastically transform the building and include the removal of the iconic staircase and the addition of a concierge desk, as well as upgrading retail storefronts, installing video walls, creating a feature wall element, and adding security features and equipment. In addition to the aesthetic improvements and new finishes – which will incorporate exposed concrete, bright white walls, and natural wood tones – security turnstiles with visitor management system will be installed to elevate the building to current Class A office standards.

Copaken Brooks Project & Construction Manager

JE Dunn General Contractor

Burns & McDonnell Design Team
Phasing Plan

Phasing plan has been split into 5 phases.

Phase I: December 2020 - February 2021

Phase II: End of February 2021 - Mid March 2021

Phase III: Mid March 2021 - Mid May 2021

Phase IV: Mid May 2021

Phase V: End May 2021 - Mid June 2021
https://www.townpavilionkc.com/team
Terribly shortsighted. And, mediocre.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

i love it
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

im2kull wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:03 pm
TOWN PAVILION REIMAGINED

The historic Town Pavilion building gets an art-focused upgrade. Improvements will drastically transform the building and include the removal of the iconic staircase and the addition of a concierge desk, as well as upgrading retail storefronts, installing video walls, creating a feature wall element, and adding security features and equipment. In addition to the aesthetic improvements and new finishes – which will incorporate exposed concrete, bright white walls, and natural wood tones – security turnstiles with visitor management system will be installed to elevate the building to current Class A office standards.

Copaken Brooks Project & Construction Manager

JE Dunn General Contractor

Burns & McDonnell Design Team
Phasing Plan

Phasing plan has been split into 5 phases.

Phase I: December 2020 - February 2021

Phase II: End of February 2021 - Mid March 2021

Phase III: Mid March 2021 - Mid May 2021

Phase IV: Mid May 2021

Phase V: End May 2021 - Mid June 2021
Terribly shortsighted. And, mediocre.
Elaborate?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I can't even place where those are. Are they removing the main staircase?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:19 am I can't even place where those are. Are they removing the main staircase?
The atrium space fronting main will be gutted. Staircase will be removed and main will be made into a real entrance complete with front desk.

I can't help but think that the rest of the common spaces need renovating.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

TOWN PAVILION REIMAGINED

Did anyone notice the renderings are super white?

White wall, white floors, white furniture. 100% white people
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

The glaring defect with the current configuration is that people walking in the honky tube from the Commerce Building have no method to continue to the 12th and Walnut block honky tube. Much of the Town Pavilion second floor is secured, so a pedestrian must descend to the lobby level at the north end of the building and then return to the second floor at the south end of the building. (It would also be nice to have honky tube access to Cosentino's garage, but that's a P&L building).

Will that defect be remediated?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

We should be tearing down honky tubes in the CBD
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Glad to see continued investment in the building--but one wonders where the suburbanites will have their office lobby weddings now??
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Going to sound like a tap dance competition with those concrete floors though. eck.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

smh wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:44 am Glad to see continued investment in the building--but one wonders where the suburbanites will have their office lobby weddings now??
I went to one of these a couple summers ago. It sucked. Not a good layout for an event.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

herrfrank wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:11 am The glaring defect with the current configuration is that people walking in the honky tube from the Commerce Building have no method to continue to the 12th and Walnut block honky tube. Much of the Town Pavilion second floor is secured, so a pedestrian must descend to the lobby level at the north end of the building and then return to the second floor at the south end of the building. (It would also be nice to have honky tube access to Cosentino's garage, but that's a P&L building).

Will that defect be remediated?
There is a tube now that connects to the Consentinos garage. I have no idea how to get to it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It doesn't connect to the garage. It only connects through that skinny white building (not Cordish) over to the parking garage for Town Pavilion. There is no way to get into Cosentinos or the garage through that honky tube.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:54 am Going to sound like a tap dance competition with those concrete floors though. eck.
I was thinking the same thing, that the acoustics were potentially brutal. Maybe the mottling on the ceiling indicates acoustical plaster?

*usual caveats about materials and renderings, etc
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

smh wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:44 am Glad to see continued investment in the building--but one wonders where the suburbanites will have their office lobby weddings now??
The Crossroads is/was killing it with event spaces. I do not understand the appeal of Town Pavilion for such an event. They didn't seem that frequent.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:36 pm
The Crossroads is/was killing it with event spaces. I do not understand the appeal of Town Pavilion for such an event. They didn't seem that frequent.
Tenant discounts?

Only place remaining on peak weekends for someone who procrastinates?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Haha well I should hope so. Who wants to have a wedding in an office lobby, in view and scent of Planet Sub?? Even if it did have a castle-like staircase.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

smh wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:46 am
Haha well I should hope so. Who wants to have a wedding in an office lobby, in view and scent of Planet Sub?? Even if it did have a castle-like staircase.
Someone who can only afford Planet Sub for their food? It's not that uncommon for wedding food to be pizza and not because it's different, because they're poor.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

flyingember wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:17 am
smh wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:46 am

Someone who can only afford Planet Sub for their food? It's not that uncommon for wedding food to be pizza and not because it's different, because they're poor.
Lol, ok.

Bride: "We blew our budget renting out Town Pavilion for 300 guests. What will we do for food now??"

*Groom spots comforting yellow and blue out corner of eye*

Groom: "I have an idea, honey!"

**jingle plays, fade to black**
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The bride I knew that had her wedding there fell in love with the staircase.

Their food and beverage was solid. They cover all the vendors with curtains so you don't have mama tios sign staring at you.

The bad part is the columns make the space very tight.