proposed Valentine QuickTrip

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: proposed Valentine QuickTrip

Post by moderne »

Roanoke neighborhood has lots of heavy hitters living in it. Hope they can kill this.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

chaglang wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:33 am Suspect they will ask to vacate and close that stretch of Summit and make access to 39th go through their parking lot.
The Reintjes family will never allow that.

Speaking of that block, I briefly temped (like one week) at USBA while home from college in the 1980s, which occupied half of the building proposed for demolition. That building is huge (60k+ square feet), but the first floor was largely one giant bullpen -- old school. I was glad to find a longer temp job at Marion Merrell Dow in their new HQ on Ward Parkway for the rest of that summer.

USBA moved to Corporate Woods in 2004 because of staff complaints about the commute from JoCo and "concerns" about 39th Street
:-O
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Please god no. SW Trafficway is one of the few truly urban feeling major thoroughfares in kc. Don't make that intersection look like you are on Burlington in NKC or Metcalf Ave.

We were in Zurich last year and there is a new development of like 5 stories of residential. In main level of the parking garage was a full blown QT like gas station/convenience store and even a drive through for a mcdonalds (the actual restaurant was first floor retail facing the sidewalk). It seems like such a great idea. I think this is about the only way you will see drive throughs and gas stations in very urban areas in European cities and it's something the USA should give a try.

Look at this aerial. You would never know there was a drive through McDonalds and large gas station there.

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.3876217 ... a=!3m1!1e3
Last edited by GRID on Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

Not a good use of that land-the intersection is already a mess w/o QT there-and I love me some QT. I like the Zurich plan.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

That location for a QT seems odd, especially since another QT is less than a mile away. I would say if they feel there is a need for something like this in the Valentine area why not look to the open tract of land from 33rd to 34th street on East side of SW Trafficway by PVCC. again I'm not sure if this development is even needed but that location would be a better fit. It would only have access from SW Trafficway for those traveling North. Maybe at 33rd St you add a left turn lane, but stoplight is already there where you could make it protected turn only, never a yielded left turn. But that lot is bordered by Jefferson on the far East end. From a location standpoint that seems better, better access overall, but again only if it is really needed.

Also this might be a good spot to try that development example from Zurich
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

dukuboy1 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:38 pm That location for a QT seems odd, especially since another QT is less than a mile away. I would say if they feel there is a need for something like this in the Valentine area why not look to the open tract of land from 33rd to 34th street on East side of SW Trafficway by PVCC. again I'm not sure if this development is even needed but that location would be a better fit. It would only have access from SW Trafficway for those traveling North. Maybe at 33rd St you add a left turn lane, but stoplight is already there where you could make it protected turn only, never a yielded left turn. But that lot is bordered by Jefferson on the far East end. From a location standpoint that seems better, better access overall, but again only if it is really needed.
IIRC they tried this in 2014 or so and everyone freaked out.
herrfrank wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:43 pm The Reintjes family will never allow that.
That's who owns the building to the north, correct? KCMO let QT build across Holly for the Westport QT, so it's not inconceivable they would allow something similar here.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

dukuboy1 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:38 pm That location for a QT seems odd, especially since another QT is less than a mile away. I would say if they feel there is a need for something like this in the Valentine area why not look to the open tract of land from 33rd to 34th street on East side of SW Trafficway by PVCC
QT already proposed that exact location. Coleman Highlands shot it down. This Roanoke proposal is even worse. There are murmers of trying to landmark the building in order to stop this. It is an interesting building...maybe not my first choice to landmark...but if it can stop this proposal I'm all for it.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I'd imagine that this new QuikTrip would replace the one on Westport Road. Maybe even the one on Main Street. Both are of the older style and QuikTrip has been demolishing and replacing their locations here in St. Louis for sometime, including merging two locations into one.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:54 pm I'd imagine that this new QuikTrip would replace the one on Westport Road. Maybe even the one on Main Street. Both are of the older style and QuikTrip has been demolishing and replacing their locations here in St. Louis for sometime, including merging two locations into one.
No, the Quick Trip on Westport Rd is brand new. They combined the old location with the lot across the street and made a mega QT.

BTW, there is yet another QT on 31st, down the hill from SW Trafficway
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I like QT. With this and the Westport location, it feels like they want me to not.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

What criteria would allow this to be landmarked? If it's going on the National Register, it could be torn down anyway. Becoming a local landmark might save it, but the precedent of landmarking a marginal building simply to prevent a proposed development is a terrible precedent (altho I suspect it's a precedent HKC would love). Also you typically need the owner's consent for landmarking.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Thanks for the update. Maybe that spot of land off SW Trafficway by 33rd street could be a good fit for a mixed development, like the example from Zurich. Maybe have commercial at street level, maybe a mini-QT just convenience store, no gas. Like the 7-11 or bodegas
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I don't care if QT is shot down since I don't really frequent them but u have got to wonder how many people would support this project if it was a Trader Joe's or Amazon Grocery Store
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:04 pm I don't care if QT is shot down since I don't really frequent them but u have got to wonder how many people would support this project if it was a Trader Joe's or Amazon Grocery Store
Dramatically more, despite that a QT is far more likely to bring tax dollars in from Kansas residents
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Valentine neighborhood circulating a petition.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

flyingember wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:39 pm
brewcrew1000 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:04 pm I don't care if QT is shot down since I don't really frequent them but u have got to wonder how many people would support this project if it was a Trader Joe's or Amazon Grocery Store
Dramatically more, despite that a QT is far more likely to bring tax dollars in from Kansas residents
In defense, those other businesses would have dramatically less crime, gasoline smells, pollution, and packs of motorcycles revving their engines as they fuel up before going on a tear thru midtown and downtown.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

My goodness, HKC is a reliably hot mess of NIMBY classism. Lots to unpack in that FB post:
Intrusions and disruptive uses in or adjacent to our prized neighborhoods are to be avoided at all costs... And it is a matter of city-wide concern that Southwest Trafficway and 39th Street serve the arterial purposes for which they have clearly evolved and been designed to serve over many decades.

And there is further need to establish as basic planning principle that no additional grab-and-go retail is appropriate in this Midtown corridor. Impairments to traffic where it is supposed to flow too often result in traffic moving where it does not belong. And gaining momentum in Midtown is a demonstrated desire to restrain the seeming dominance of motor vehicles.

QuikTrip has untapped markets and unmet demand many places in the City -- they need not be a menace to historic places.
Translation: We can't decide if we like traffic or not. We like to zip up and down SWTFWY, but we don't like people driving past our homes. And we definitely hate QT enough to ban small scale retail in Midtown, but we also want to reduce our reliance on cars and we want to preserve our historic, walkable neighborhoods. Those concepts all work together, right? Anyway, if we have to have QTs, just stick 'em on the east side where the houses are old but not historic.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Critical_Mass wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:08 pm
flyingember wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:39 pm
In defense, those other businesses would have dramatically less crime, gasoline smells, pollution, and packs of motorcycles revving their engines as they fuel up before going on a tear thru midtown and downtown.
Those two probably, but some grocery chains run gas stations. If Hyvee wanted to build there, with a fuel station included, I doubt the community would have a problem

don't underestimate people fighting the name and not the reality of the situation
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If I had a house that bordered the proposed Quik Trip there, my primary objection would be the light pollution coming into my windows at night because those QTs are brightly lit all night.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0574741 ... !1e3?hl=en