OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Transportation topics in KC
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:17 pm
So that ugly parking lot could be a city development TOD RFP if they wanted?
So the idea is you have to be able to connect a property to an active rail line to maintain the rights of a railbanked row. The Country Club ROW abuts the Union Pacific line that goes through Swope, they can connect to this route today and lay track into Westport on it.

If you cut it in half you lose half. There was a bridge in Booneville that if the railroad had removed it the entire Katy Trail south of Booneville could/would have lost this protection because it would have disconnected the corridor from the rest.

If the city has something built at Cleaver they could be legally required to give up the row to the north of Cleaver.

In my opinion it would be better to maintain the row and keep it around for some other use, like easy connectivity to Broadway. Give an engineer in 20, 30 or 40 years a second option that would take the train out of traffic for four blocks and speed up the line a little.

It could be useful if there needs to be a southern maintaince facility someday. Lay single track with ties and buy land from St. Lukes to create a combined maintaince building + parking. Maybe setup a spur route over to SW Tfwy kind of like the riverfront line.

I'm not saying any of this would happen, but having the row seems more important than getting rid of the parking lot. It enables opportunity.

Imagine St. Louis Metrolink without it's protected row. It would never have reached the airport.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:56 am I absolutely love the UMKC station. This design would look great at the Riverfront or for a future lengthening in Brookside/Waldo. I hope that having 2 nub tracks came about with that in mind.

@DaceKCMO Will, there be bike parking at the streetcar stations? Would love be to be able to bike to the station, lock my bike up, train to work/store, and come back to it on my way home
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Trolley trail trailhead I would hope that's a given but good question.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Yes, not sure if it will be covered or secured yet.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Full Funding Agreement was awarded!!!!

http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/liveweb/Docum ... ZBFw9AttlG
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

TRACK TO THE FUTURE
Tom Gerend and others expect lightning to strike again for development along the streetcar extension. Millions in investment already have poured in.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... nvest.html
Projects, properties to ponder
Exact Partners’ interest in the Main Street corridor extends beyond its two new apartment projects — it has three more projects in the works. The largest is a $75 million multiphase effort at the northwest corner of 37th and Main streets, where the developer has done separate test fits for a concert venue with a Class A restaurant and a food hall beneath a hotel in the former Kansas City National Guard Armory.

Exact Partners completed $2.58 million in multiparcel transactions for much of that corner between November 2018 and May 2019. It plans to close on two more properties near planned streetcar stops — at 3215 and 3901 Main St. — before Christmas.

Property records and interviews reveal activity all along the streetcar extension route, including:

• Entities affiliated with New York-based developer Alchemy Ventures gobbled up at least seven properties within blocks of the streetcar extension, to the tune of $7.2 million, between March 2018 and April 2020.

• Main & Main LLC, which shares a Kansas City address with Americo Life parent Financial Holding Corp., paid $6.6 million in July for the shuttered Country Club Plaza Holiday Inn. The seller, an affiliate of Chicago-based Janko Group, previously considered razing or renovating the 241-room hotel.

• GLI Hospitality picked up the Best Western Plus Seville Plaza Hotel at 4309 Main St. for $8.5 million in August 2018, and G1 Real Estate in May 2020 snagged the Seville Plaza apartments at 4545 Main St. for $2.35 million.

• In September 2019, Overland Park-based Price Brothers acquired eight parcels comprising much of the northeast corner of 31st and Main, including a Lutfi’s Fried Fish restaurant.

• An affiliate of Antheus Capital, the New Jersey-based parent company of Mac Properties, on Nov. 4 nabbed approximately 1.6 acres along Main Street between Armour Boulevard and 36th Street. The parcels include Pancho’s Mexican Food and surface parking.

• Clemons Real Estate and FTW Investments have leased space in the former Hostess Brands LLC building at 3 E. Armour Blvd., with an option to buy in the next year.

• A buyer is circling the historic Katz Drug Store building at 3948 Main St., according to multiple real estate sources.

• Hallmark Cards Inc. owns vacant tracts on two sides of Grand Boulevard’s intersection with 27th Street, totaling about 6.8 acres near the streetcar extension’s first planned stop. Property brochures tout the sites’ potential for high-rise office or multifamily developments.

• Andrew Brain and Platform Ventures LLC are advancing a $45 million proposal to build 133 apartments in the vacant Westport High School building at 315 E. 39th St., plus a 20,000-square-foot office building, adjacent to the Plexpod Westport Commons coworking space.

In all, Midtown holds 88.5 acres of vacant property, together valued at $13.7 million, said Kevin Klinkenberg, executive director of Midtown KC Now. The land’s value would skyrocket to $110 million if each acre were developed based on average neighborhood value per acre.
During Midtown’s heyday in the 1950s, the population in 12 neighborhoods peaked at 73,518 — a figure Klinkenberg said dwindled to 28,971 as of 2017.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

From that article:

Peter Cassel said he was not convinced the streetcar extension would be completed — until the FTA’s funding announcement in August.

Now, the streetcar will help Mac Properties’ director of community development tell “simple stories” about residents who could live in the Chicago-based builder's numerous apartment communities dotting the nearby Armour Boulevard corridor — for example, that residents could live in Midtown and take the streetcar to their offices Downtown or on the Plaza.

“As the streetcar puts Midtown on the map, and as Midtown gains new infrastructure, that makes it an easier place to live,” Cassel said. “That will strengthen Midtown, and that will strengthen Kansas City.”
I read this as a national developer already invested in KC was not confident of the extension until just a few months ago. I wonder if the recent announcement has changed the minds of national developers not yet in KC.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

flyingember wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:19 am
im2kull wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:16 pm
chaglang wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:55 am

So as taxpayers we now have an ownership stake in Sherry DeJanes' fence.
I'm not sure I'm following..?
You must have missed the lawsuit.
Saw that the fence came down today.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:33 pm 100% funded: https://www.kmbc.com/article/federal-tr ... n/34917831
Great to hear that they are saying this can be opened before 2025.
How is the budget looking? I would assume by the additions/upgrades that costs are coming in lower than expected?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:43 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:33 pm 100% funded: https://www.kmbc.com/article/federal-tr ... n/34917831
How is the budget looking? I would assume by the additions/upgrades that costs are coming in lower than expected?
What additions/upgrades?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:59 pm
What additions/upgrades?
The cross over and double-sided platform at UMKC stick out to me as a cost adding feature. Before it was shown as a single switch and standard platform
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

So full speed ahead yes? When do we start collecting the local assessments?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

This schedule was on Twitter

Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

Great news! This should rev up even more development along the route than what has already been announced.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Very exciting!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:00 pm

What additions/upgrades?
The cross over and double-sided platform at UMKC stick out to me as a cost adding feature. Before it was shown as a single switch and standard platform
Oh, yeah, that's definitely an addition but multiple crossovers were always on the want list. The initial design phases (10%, 30%) also apply to the budget, so as you refine the design you determine that something cost more or less than the original assumption and the contingency is reduced -- although the FTA still requires an insane contingency that projects are more or less encouraged to spend or you have to relinquish it.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:50 pm

What additions/upgrades?
Oh, yeah, that's definitely an addition but multiple crossovers were always on the want list. The initial design phases (10%, 30%) also apply to the budget, so as you refine the design you determine that something cost more or less than the original assumption and the contingency is reduced -- although the FTA still requires an insane contingency that projects are more or less encouraged to spend or you have to relinquish it.
Aside from converting the other switch backs to cross overs, what are the other items on the wish list?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

normalthings wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:08 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:50 pm
Aside from converting the other switch backs to cross overs, what are the other items on the wish list?
Center running.

I kid, I kid. That train has left the station. :D