Americo Plaza Tower (Former Holiday Inn)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Walker
Strip mall
Strip mall

Americo Plaza Tower (Former Holiday Inn)

Post by Walker »

From Jasty 5, a 30-floor tower and other structures are being kicked around by Americo. It nows looks like the Holiday Inn will be coming down within a few days.

I found a general schedule for the demolition of the existing structure. No permits or plans for new construction have been filed.

Start Date
12/21/2020
End Date
01/20/2021

Demolition Debris Hauling: https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... b=moreinfo
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Americo Plaza Tower (Former Holiday Inn)

Post by GRID »

30 floors seems tall for that area. Maybe not that tall, there are quite a few 20 story buildings in the area I guess. It just brings back memories of the sailors project and how much uproar that generated (although that project had 40-50 story buildings planned). Something like that should be going up in place of the library building downtown though. Nobody would bat an eye at a 30 story building there where the plaza location will likely get a lot of pushback.

A residential tower that tall there would have incredible views of the entire plaza and even downtown. It would be pretty amazing.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

That seems high to me as well, especially since it sits on top of that hill.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

FangKC wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:01 pm That seems high to me as well, especially since it sits on top of that hill.
Oh, I didn't even think about that hill. Yeah, it will appear very tall there. That location is clustered around several high rise buildings and is very commercial so maybe it won't have as much pushback as I think. Maybe Main Street will evolve into something more like a smaller version of midtown or buckhead atlanta. Build it up. Why is that lot just south of QT still vacant, but this space where a hotel must be torn down is more viable? Sometimes I don't understand development I guess. That empty lot much be really expensive.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

American Century owns those parcels.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

From the "Plaza Bowl" ordinance.
The purpose of the Plaza Bowl Overlay is to establish land use regulations and limit
building heights for an area generally located on the south and north sides of 47th Street
(extending northerly to the north side of 46th Terrace), between Madison Avenue on the
west, and J.C. Nichols Parkway on the east. These restrictions may be more prohibitive
than those of the underlying zoning.
From the Main Street Overlay:

Walker
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Walker »

So Plaza Bowl has no effect here. Looks like you could fit a 20-floor residential building under the current zoning.

A 30-floor residential building is a minimum of 270'. The American Century tower is 236' albeit at the top of the hill. This capstone apartment tower could end up being effectively within 30 feet of American Century. Even a 300' residential building would not look too out of place.
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

The proposed tower would fit in nicely with the cluster of high rises already there. The Main Street extension of the streetcar is probably a prime reason for this newest proposal. The increased development activity along the extension will likely grow as we get a handle on COVID and the economy revs up again. The proposal also does nothing but accentuate the Plaza “bowl” effect that the plan envisioned. As for the vacant lot(s?)that American Century owns in the area that’s on AC to act on regarding development. Being in the business of making money they should be smart enough to join the momentum and find a deep-pocketed partner to help them make that money. Increased development near the southern end of the line would only help increase utilization between downtown and the Plaza, something that Main Street backers have been desiring for a very long time. I say bring it on, though public incentives in that area should be at a very minimum, if at all.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Found some more information on Michael Merriman of Americo, and the family's historic ties to Waddell & Reed and DST. Jim Fitzpatrick used to work for The KC Star.

https://jimmycsays.com/2017/05/29/micha ... -mac-deal/
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Walker wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:43 pm So Plaza Bowl has no effect here. Looks like you could fit a 20-floor residential building under the current zoning.

A 30-floor residential building is a minimum of 270'. The American Century tower is 236' albeit at the top of the hill. This capstone apartment tower could end up being effectively within 30 feet of American Century. Even a 300' residential building would not look too out of place.
Yeah I don't think it's too out of place with the AC towers. And if the open lot across street from AC next to QT is developed with similar height the stretch should look pretty good.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

A bookend for the bowl with the Sulgrave being the bookend on the other side of the bowl.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Maybe QT is seeking another Midtown location so they can sell the 45th Street location on Main for a massive return?
Walker
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Walker »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:40 pm Maybe QT is seeking another Midtown location so they can sell the 45th Street location on Main for a massive return?
WHy can't QT buy an existing gas station and renovate the convenience store to their spec?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Because their spec is an interstate truck stop.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Walker wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:37 pm From Jasty 5, a 30-floor tower and other structures are being kicked around by Americo. It nows looks like the Holiday Inn will be coming down within a few days.

I found a general schedule for the demolition of the existing structure. No permits or plans for new construction have been filed.

Start Date
12/21/2020
End Date
01/20/2021

Demolition Debris Hauling: https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... b=moreinfo
Is this where the hotel was? The one immediately South of current Marriot? If so, I thought they were converting that to a new hotel, a higher end chain hotel?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Walker wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:37 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:40 pm Maybe QT is seeking another Midtown location so they can sell the 45th Street location on Main for a massive return?
WHy can't QT buy an existing gas station and renovate the convenience store to their spec?
Because QT's model is a convenience store that also happens to sell gas on the side.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:08 pm
Because QT's model is a convenience store that also happens to sell gas on the side.
The old one on Armour in NKC got heavy foot traffic from students from the high school. When it moved it became far less accessible.

They were so interested in I-35 customers that they turned their back on the neighborhood.

That should tell you their goals are maximizing how many commuters they can serve.
Walker
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Walker »

FangKC wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:08 pm
Thats what im trying to say. The gas station profits are made on the convenience store sales. Why not build a big C-store but normal-sized parking lot and gas fillup. They could fill an interesting bodega niche in midtown-westport.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

dukuboy1 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:01 pm
Is this where the hotel was? The one immediately South of current Marriot? If so, I thought they were converting that to a new hotel, a higher end chain hotel?
Kimpton Hotels was going to redevelop the site, but they dropped out.
FangKC wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:56 pm Kevin Collison is reported that Kimpton is dropping out of the redevelopment of the Holiday Inn.

https://cityscenekc.com/kimpton-wins-ci ... 1-opening/
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

FangKC wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:16 pm
dukuboy1 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:01 pm
Kimpton Hotels was going to redevelop the site, but they dropped out.
FangKC wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:56 pm Kevin Collison is reported that Kimpton is dropping out of the redevelopment of the Holiday Inn.

https://cityscenekc.com/kimpton-wins-ci ... 1-opening/
got it, thank you