KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: KC in TV and Movies

Post by langosta »

phuqueue wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:36 pm
flyingember wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:57 pm
phuqueue wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:11 pm That's exactly what these shows are. Everyone is out to make a buck, and if our economy offered any opportunity to turn a profit with affordable housing, we wouldn't be talking about "affordable housing" in the first place. It shouldn't take house flippers and real estate agents luring upwardly mobile, mostly white yuppies into a community to "bring resources" to it, and let's not pretend that the "resources" following these newcomers are meant for anyone except them.
Except your view is completely backwards on the market.

If we want to drive prices down we need to provide an excess of high end housing across the region. To give buyers and renters the ability to bid down prices and demand lower rent at the high end so it pushes down prices on every unit of housing all the way down through middle class homes and onto true affordable housing

There is a 0% chance that affordable housing can be provided by anything other than a massive amount of market rate development.' The money in affordable housing is in pushing the idea there should only be affordable housing built so that property owners can raise their leasing rates when they only compete with higher priced units of the same. The less competition above them the better off these owners are.

Yes, people doing development want money. This is kind of the point. Let them make their money off the well off and don't try and pretend a business should be a charity.

Anyone with a dollar to spend on the east side should be welcomed. Gentrification is a bad thing for some, but it's hugely beneficial for all if we stop thinking about affordability in each project and start thinking about the bigger market.

When the market is healthy, someone will come in and find a place in it they can compete in without 30 years of incentives
While that sounds like great microeconomics theory, it's not what we actually see happening in cities with extreme affordability crises, but we don't really need to derail the KC in TV and Movies thread by going further down that road right now. Suffice to say, with this response you have strayed pretty far from your original assertion that the flippers' and real estate agents' "goal is to bring resources into a community to create affordable housing for others." We seem to agree that their goal is, actually, just to make money.
Isn't it well established that those areas don't allow you to build anything?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

phuqueue wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:36 pm We seem to agree that their goal is, actually, just to make money.
As a former flipper that is the honest to God truth. One of the problems faced is how much money a flipper can make given the price of the house to buy and the comps in the neighborhood. Of course my flipping was before the collapse of the real estate market over ten years ago but after the collapse there wasn't enough of a profit margin to make a profit in what one may call the starter home market. Before the collapse my partner and I were willing to make just $10,000 profit on a flip since we weren't in it to make a living. Just to supplement retirement income.
The professional flippers who you see on TV (such as We Buy Ugly Houses) are really looking for people who need to get rid of an ugly home quickly. When my wife and I looking to sell the house that we lived in before moving to our current home, we had rented it out for several years to a couple with young kids and big dogs, we checked into a couple of those professional flippers just to see what they would offer - we wanted to sell quickly before winter came so we didn't want to fix it up. Their offers were about $40,000 below what we sold the house for as-is after 5 days on the market.
I really question some of the numbers these flippers on reality TV shows say what their costs are, especially Bargain Mansions. Maybe the contractor is doing the project at cost and getting a cut of the profits on the sale.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

langosta wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:53 pm
phuqueue wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:36 pm
flyingember wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:57 pm

Except your view is completely backwards on the market.

If we want to drive prices down we need to provide an excess of high end housing across the region. To give buyers and renters the ability to bid down prices and demand lower rent at the high end so it pushes down prices on every unit of housing all the way down through middle class homes and onto true affordable housing

There is a 0% chance that affordable housing can be provided by anything other than a massive amount of market rate development.' The money in affordable housing is in pushing the idea there should only be affordable housing built so that property owners can raise their leasing rates when they only compete with higher priced units of the same. The less competition above them the better off these owners are.

Yes, people doing development want money. This is kind of the point. Let them make their money off the well off and don't try and pretend a business should be a charity.

Anyone with a dollar to spend on the east side should be welcomed. Gentrification is a bad thing for some, but it's hugely beneficial for all if we stop thinking about affordability in each project and start thinking about the bigger market.

When the market is healthy, someone will come in and find a place in it they can compete in without 30 years of incentives
While that sounds like great microeconomics theory, it's not what we actually see happening in cities with extreme affordability crises, but we don't really need to derail the KC in TV and Movies thread by going further down that road right now. Suffice to say, with this response you have strayed pretty far from your original assertion that the flippers' and real estate agents' "goal is to bring resources into a community to create affordable housing for others." We seem to agree that their goal is, actually, just to make money.
Isn't it well established that those areas don't allow you to build anything?
Well I didn't intend to derail this thread further, but just to answer the question: I know NYC best and won't claim to be deeply versed in the situation in California or DC or other hyperexpensive places, but NYC is coming off a decade-long construction boom that has left the city, and Manhattan in particular, with a glut of vacant high-end luxury apartments (an estimated 6+ year supply of them), and in that segment, prices have indeed fallen and developers have begun offering lots of incentives to try to entice buyers. Yet at the same time, prices at the bottom of the market have continued to rise. (Both of those links are immediately pre-covid -- covid has sparked a rush to Brooklyn that has hit Manhattan prices hard, so looking at more current numbers muddies the picture with confounding data.) And of course, Manhattan being what it is, it's hard to describe even the homes at the bottom of the market as "affordable" -- the median price in that segment, which I imagine mostly consisted of shoebox studios and maybe a smattering of 1BRs, was $480,000.
aknowledgeableperson wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:56 am
phuqueue wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:36 pm We seem to agree that their goal is, actually, just to make money.
As a former flipper that is the honest to God truth. One of the problems faced is how much money a flipper can make given the price of the house to buy and the comps in the neighborhood. Of course my flipping was before the collapse of the real estate market over ten years ago but after the collapse there wasn't enough of a profit margin to make a profit in what one may call the starter home market. Before the collapse my partner and I were willing to make just $10,000 profit on a flip since we weren't in it to make a living. Just to supplement retirement income.
The professional flippers who you see on TV (such as We Buy Ugly Houses) are really looking for people who need to get rid of an ugly home quickly. When my wife and I looking to sell the house that we lived in before moving to our current home, we had rented it out for several years to a couple with young kids and big dogs, we checked into a couple of those professional flippers just to see what they would offer - we wanted to sell quickly before winter came so we didn't want to fix it up. Their offers were about $40,000 below what we sold the house for as-is after 5 days on the market.
I really question some of the numbers these flippers on reality TV shows say what their costs are, especially Bargain Mansions. Maybe the contractor is doing the project at cost and getting a cut of the profits on the sale.
Since we're just agreeing with each other, I don't have anything more to add to this, but I usually feel compelled to acknowledge when we're actually agreeing with each other.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Atchison Kansas featured in a 1950 Santa Fe RR film. If Santa Fe was started there, how did their mainline end up going through KC?

https://youtu.be/B9VqccMWF-c
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The answer is later railroad acquisitions and consolidations made by the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe railroad that included a Chicago and Detroit to Kansas City route. Then Chi-KC became the primary route to Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, and California. The Atchison route became a secondary route, and had much less traffic.

It also helped that Kansas City had a rail bridge over the Missouri River before Atchison, Leavenworth, and St. Joseph.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atchison, ... Fe_Railway

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_Ci ... nt_Railway

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannibal_Bridge
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KC will be featured in a new Ford Ad.

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... 0d86f992ea
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

shinatoo wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:22 pm Fargo season 4 really caught the look and feel of KC, even though all the exteriors were obviously not KC to anyone that knows KC. However, in the last episode they did throw in a couple of KC shots. Western Auto Lofts and Cold Storage Lofts. Nice of them to link in a little bit of the city...along with that awesome 1950's skyline.
Finally saw the whole season, it wasn't bad but the other seasons were a tad stronger. I feel like they could have filmed the gangster homes in brookside, they had a brookside feel. Wonder where that was filmed in chicago?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

How It’s Made: Apple Cider

Filmed at Louisburg Cider Mill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMiZA6BdalA
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

Just watched Robert Altman's "Kansas City" for the first time since it came out 25 years ago. Wonderful KC jazz highlighted by the Lester Young and Coleman Hawkins characters playing dueling saxophones. Historical interior and exterior scenes of the original Ship bar when it was north of City Hall. And lots of Union Station right before rehab.

Like all Altman movies the plot can be hard to follow. I remember Altman stating he always wanted to make a film about his hometown, but the reviews were mixed when it came out. I never saw it listed on cable and wondered why.

Maybe the dialog of Seldom Scene, the owner of the Hey Hey Club, had something to do with it. "White people are consumed with greed. Just can't get enough. Never get enough of anything. Even they don't need it, they got to have it...and don't care how they get it."
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Terrible movie but great music. If he had not died so tragically young Bennie Moten would be as famous to the world as Louis Armstrong. His name would be the most famous jazz musician associated with KC and not Charlie Parker. With Charlie Parker jazz ceased to be the dominant form of popular music and was replaced by rock and roll.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

I think one of the reasons that Altman's "Kansas City" didn't get as much play nor box-office as expected, is because an arguably much better period drama about KC had just been released six years earlier, namely the Merchant-Ivory adaptation of "Mr. and Mrs. Bridge."

Even as a fan of Jennifer Jason Leigh, I found the film fairly dull. Mostly because of the thin storyline. What's strange is that there were several nonfictional kidnappings in KC from the period (Nellie Don, the Katz Brothers, Bobby Greenlease), elements of which might have added some depth as well as verisimilitude.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

“Mr. and Mrs. Bridge” was a Ward Parkway film, “Kansas City” an 18th and Vine film. Different worlds different movies.

I think Altman’s film was a tough valentine to his hometown. How can a city with such a rich black musical heritage still have as strict a dividing line as Troost?
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Holy Frit is an excellent doc that's part of this year's virtual Slamdance Film Festival. It's mostly about the making of the largest in the world stained glass window that is installed in the Oh So Very Large Church of the Biggest Resurrection Ever in the Leawood Book of World Records. So their pastor and several members are featured and they used some local crew for the shoots that were here in KC. Even some local artists made it in there, along with some shots of the Plaza, US/skyline and P&L. I highly recommend it – very well made, great characters and just the right amount of non-manufactured drama.

For those of you so inclined, Slamdance has become a very cool, truly independent festival "by filmmakers for filmmakers". From its origins of a festival for those outcasts and anarchists who didn't get into Sundance, they've become known for their innovative and edgy programming. And while film festivals all over now are struggling with the new reality of trying to survive virtually, these cats made an unprecedented move of charging only $10 for a pass. Sundance, for comparison's sake, has more money than God and almost as much as the CoR and charged $350 this year.

There are a ton of other great movies available with this pass through Feb. 25th.

https://slamdance.com/

http://holyfrit.com/
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Katty Kay, on MSNBC's Morning Joe, this morning used Kansas City as an example comparing the 500,000 COVID losses to the population of Kansas City, Missouri.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Exciting sports related development that will showcase downtown KC across the world. More info in coming months.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

World Cup. Cool. That will be a lot of fun! We can show the world our 4 ft sidewalks and ample driving lanes! jkjk. Great news.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

smh wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:00 am World Cup. Cool. That will be a lot of fun! We can show the world our 4 ft sidewalks and ample driving lanes! jkjk. Great news.
different event
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Hmm, well, I will let you replace the first two words, but the rest still applies. hahaha. Still, excited to learn more!
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

normalthings wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:18 pm Exciting sports related development that will showcase downtown KC across the world. More info in coming months.
Seems like the Olympics decided to film a commercial downtown. Will be a global commercial for the Olympics themselves. Involves climbing a building......
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »