KC in TV and Movies

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: KC in TV and Movies

Post by shinatoo »

Fargo season 4 really caught the look and feel of KC, even though all the exteriors were obviously not KC to anyone that knows KC. However, in the last episode they did throw in a couple of KC shots. Western Auto Lofts and Cold Storage Lofts. Nice of them to link in a little bit of the city...along with that awesome 1950's skyline.
Walker
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Walker »

Loving the show so far
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Great season, freaking biblical.

Wish there had been more explicit shout outs to KC all season, but yeah, they got the vibe right.
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

Bargain Mansions is now prime time HGTV and copious shots of KC lifestyles and neighborhoods throughout the shows. Nice.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

ToDactivist wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:55 am Bargain Mansions is now prime time HGTV and copious shots of KC lifestyles and neighborhoods throughout the shows. Nice.
Bastardizing historic homes all over Kansas City. Yeah!!!!!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:49 pm
ToDactivist wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:55 am Bargain Mansions is now prime time HGTV and copious shots of KC lifestyles and neighborhoods throughout the shows. Nice.
Versus tearing them down?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:49 pm
To be fair, a lot of those houses that she picks up are in ROUGH shape, improving this is hardly bastardizing IMO
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I don't think I've seen an episode of that show since the first season. I hope it has gotten better, but I thought the b-roll footage was pretty bad. They had one shot of the Plaza or the DT skyline interspersed with some random rural or small town shots that weren't even from the KC area (I remember one shot of a horse in a field with a mountain in the background).

I also wasn't crazy about much of the renovation work I saw. There is a lot of middle ground between bastardizing the home and tearing it down. There is another DIY renovation show- Rehab Addict - based in Detroit where they really do a great job of historic renovations that maintain the original character. It seems clear that Bargain Mansions was trying to imitate much about that show, but they fall short on all accounts.

I also think the host is something of a carpetbagger - building her business and brand mostly on urban, historic homes, but living in Leawood. Just like a certain KC realtor who markets herself as "Urban KC Cool", but lives in Red Bridge.

I did just happen to hear Bert Kreischer talking about watching the show on his podcast. So it does seem like it is gaining some national traction. I guess that is good exposure for KC.
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:11 pm I don't think I've seen an episode of that show since the first season. I hope it has gotten better, but I thought the b-roll footage was pretty bad. They had one shot of the Plaza or the DT skyline interspersed with some random rural or small town shots that weren't even from the KC area (I remember one shot of a horse in a field with a mountain in the background).

I also wasn't crazy about much of the renovation work I saw. There is a lot of middle ground between bastardizing the home and tearing it down. There is another DIY renovation show- Rehab Addict - based in Detroit where they really do a great job of historic renovations that maintain the original character. It seems clear that Bargain Mansions was trying to imitate much about that show, but they fall short on all accounts.

I also think the host is something of a carpetbagger - building her business and brand mostly on urban, historic homes, but living in Leawood. Just like a certain KC realtor who markets herself as "Urban KC Cool", but lives in Red Bridge.

I did just happen to hear Bert Kreischer talking about watching the show on his podcast. So it does seem like it is gaining some national traction. I guess that is good exposure for KC.
No question there are better reno shows out there. I was just pointing out the title to this subblog that this show is getting attention as noted above and also seems to have decent clippets of KC as well as her visiting many craftsmen/shops throughout - all good for KC. And if I was watching anywhere outside of the midwest I would be/am shocked at the low prices. Overall glad to see the KC tempo and lipstick added to the aging stock.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:11 pm I also think the host is something of a carpetbagger - building her business and brand mostly on urban, historic homes, but living in Leawood. Just like a certain KC realtor who markets herself as "Urban KC Cool", but lives in Red Bridge.
So in other words, finding economic opportunity within 20 minutes of home is a bad thing?

And that's the same as someone who moves across the country to try and exploit the locals?
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

flyingember wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:13 pm
KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:11 pm I also think the host is something of a carpetbagger - building her business and brand mostly on urban, historic homes, but living in Leawood. Just like a certain KC realtor who markets herself as "Urban KC Cool", but lives in Red Bridge.
So in other words, finding economic opportunity within 20 minutes of home is a bad thing?

And that's the same as someone who moves across the country to try and exploit the locals?
No, I just think you should practice what you preach. If you make yourself out to be a big proponent of urban living, and you make your money extolling the virtue of these neighborhoods, maybe you should back up your talk and actually live there.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:43 pm

No, I just think you should practice what you preach. If you make yourself out to be a big proponent of urban living, and you make your money extolling the virtue of these neighborhoods, maybe you should back up your talk and actually live there.
Why is that important? What if their goal is to bring resources into a community to create affordable housing for others? Maybe not as charity, but more in that direction.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Why shouldn't it be important? If their goal is to bring resources into and improve a community, why are they not bringing their resources into that community and trying to help sort out whatever problems are there instead of (or in addition to) making money off other people who are moving there and may or may not have such a goal? That doesn't sound like a genuine interest in community service, it sounds like nakedly aggressive "screw you, I got mine" capitalism.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

flyingember wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:45 am What if their goal is to bring resources into a community to create affordable housing for others?
This is venturing into the hypothetical. There is nothing I have seen about Tamara Day to indicate that is the goal -her renovation projects are not affordable housing. But I don't care if she is just in it to make money. Maybe the carpetbagger descriptor isn't the most accurate, but I do think there is something a disingenuous about her. It is like a salesman pushing a product that they wouldn't use for themselves.

Again, to compare it to the Rehab Addict show, the star of that show lives in a home and neighborhood like those she renovates. You can tell that she truly cares about preserving historic architecture and urban neighborhoods. I don't think Tamara Day has the same motivations. That is fine. Personally, it just makes her and the show less appealing to me.

As for Ms "Urban Cool KC" Franny Knight, I have some issues with her from personal experience/interactions that I won't get into - but I just find it a bit phony when you build your whole image and marketing campaign around being "urban", but you live in the suburbs.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:11 pm I don't think I've seen an episode of that show since the first season. I hope it has gotten better, but I thought the b-roll footage was pretty bad. They had one shot of the Plaza or the DT skyline interspersed with some random rural or small town shots that weren't even from the KC area (I remember one shot of a horse in a field with a mountain in the background).
I also wasn't crazy about much of the renovation work I saw.
I also think the host is something of a carpetbagger - building her business and brand mostly on urban, historic homes, but living in Leawood.

Caught a few of her shows from the current season. If you consider suburban homes in Leawood and Lees' Summit urban then I guess it would be an urban show. Had to stop watching it since what she says for her rehab costs are unreal as to being too low and her style of design isn't my cup of tea nor my wife's.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

flyingember wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:45 am
KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:43 pm

Why is that important? What if their goal is to bring resources into a community to create affordable housing for others? Maybe not as charity, but more in that direction.
I've never seen the particular show in question, but my wife is into these HGTV shows about renovating and flipping houses, and, uh, ***spoiler alert*** they are never about creating "affordable housing." mean nailed it with:
That doesn't sound like a genuine interest in community service, it sounds like nakedly aggressive "screw you, I got mine" capitalism.
That's exactly what these shows are. Everyone is out to make a buck, and if our economy offered any opportunity to turn a profit with affordable housing, we wouldn't be talking about "affordable housing" in the first place. It shouldn't take house flippers and real estate agents luring upwardly mobile, mostly white yuppies into a community to "bring resources" to it, and let's not pretend that the "resources" following these newcomers are meant for anyone except them.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

phuqueue wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:11 pm That's exactly what these shows are. Everyone is out to make a buck, and if our economy offered any opportunity to turn a profit with affordable housing, we wouldn't be talking about "affordable housing" in the first place. It shouldn't take house flippers and real estate agents luring upwardly mobile, mostly white yuppies into a community to "bring resources" to it, and let's not pretend that the "resources" following these newcomers are meant for anyone except them.
Except your view is completely backwards on the market.

If we want to drive prices down we need to provide an excess of high end housing across the region. To give buyers and renters the ability to bid down prices and demand lower rent at the high end so it pushes down prices on every unit of housing all the way down through middle class homes and onto true affordable housing

There is a 0% chance that affordable housing can be provided by anything other than a massive amount of market rate development.' The money in affordable housing is in pushing the idea there should only be affordable housing built so that property owners can raise their leasing rates when they only compete with higher priced units of the same. The less competition above them the better off these owners are.

Yes, people doing development want money. This is kind of the point. Let them make their money off the well off and don't try and pretend a business should be a charity.

Anyone with a dollar to spend on the east side should be welcomed. Gentrification is a bad thing for some, but it's hugely beneficial for all if we stop thinking about affordability in each project and start thinking about the bigger market.

When the market is healthy, someone will come in and find a place in it they can compete in without 30 years of incentives
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There is creation of affordable housing being done -- mostly east of Troost but even in areas like Hickman Mills and Ruskin Heights.

It's usually done by individuals buying abandoned houses, foreclosures, or old former rental houses that need renovation done to update them enough for resale. I wouldn't call them developers since they are often doing one at a time, or even house-flippers, because that often implies yuppie investors buying and renovating houses for big profits that result in gentrification.

The problem is that not enough of this is being done. To get around the gentrification issue, and complaints that there isn't enough affordable housing in those same neighborhoods, there needs to be more public investment in training people in the construction trades from those same neighborhoods. That approach addresses high unemployment in those neighborhoods, jobs skills, and the need to create affordable housing for people in those neighborhoods without creating hyper-gentrification efforts. There also needs to be local construction investment banks to finance this type of development combined with public subsidies on those individual properties--mainly property tax freezes.

This also helps individual property owners on the block because their properties are often devalued because of vacant, blighted properties nearby.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

How does training programs give people the money to renovate a house? Unless they're licensed in everything they still need to pay someone to check electrical, plumbing and the like for the permits.

Trades training programs are a great idea but isn't a solution for affordable housing.

And what else would you call someone buying a home, doing just enough work to flip them if not flippers? Does someone need to fit a certain demographic stereotype to flip a house?
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

flyingember wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:57 pm
phuqueue wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:11 pm That's exactly what these shows are. Everyone is out to make a buck, and if our economy offered any opportunity to turn a profit with affordable housing, we wouldn't be talking about "affordable housing" in the first place. It shouldn't take house flippers and real estate agents luring upwardly mobile, mostly white yuppies into a community to "bring resources" to it, and let's not pretend that the "resources" following these newcomers are meant for anyone except them.
Except your view is completely backwards on the market.

If we want to drive prices down we need to provide an excess of high end housing across the region. To give buyers and renters the ability to bid down prices and demand lower rent at the high end so it pushes down prices on every unit of housing all the way down through middle class homes and onto true affordable housing

There is a 0% chance that affordable housing can be provided by anything other than a massive amount of market rate development.' The money in affordable housing is in pushing the idea there should only be affordable housing built so that property owners can raise their leasing rates when they only compete with higher priced units of the same. The less competition above them the better off these owners are.

Yes, people doing development want money. This is kind of the point. Let them make their money off the well off and don't try and pretend a business should be a charity.

Anyone with a dollar to spend on the east side should be welcomed. Gentrification is a bad thing for some, but it's hugely beneficial for all if we stop thinking about affordability in each project and start thinking about the bigger market.

When the market is healthy, someone will come in and find a place in it they can compete in without 30 years of incentives
While that sounds like great microeconomics theory, it's not what we actually see happening in cities with extreme affordability crises, but we don't really need to derail the KC in TV and Movies thread by going further down that road right now. Suffice to say, with this response you have strayed pretty far from your original assertion that the flippers' and real estate agents' "goal is to bring resources into a community to create affordable housing for others." We seem to agree that their goal is, actually, just to make money.