COVID19

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: COVID19

Post by WoodDraw »

😂
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mgsports wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:18 pm Steinmart closing all its locations including the 2 in Johnson County meaning 2 spaces to fill maybe Sierra Trading Post.
There were still Steinmarts open?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I just saw a drug ad that had a CYA statement that said to tell your doctor if you’re planning to take a vaccine.

I would hate to be that marketing department
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

New city restrictions are tough. I don't disagree they are needed, but will put a big dent in the bar/restaurant biz. I'm still a firm believer in the fact young people are going to gather regardless, why not provide them with a safe, large and properly sanitized space instead of a buddies house?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I honestly think this go around restaurants and bars will ignore the new restrictions. It was easy to shutdown last time because workers and owners were guaranteed some kind of weekly income or loan, this time around they are getting nothing and it could really kill the business once and for all
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:42 am I honestly think this go around restaurants and bars will ignore the new restrictions. It was easy to shutdown last time because workers and owners were guaranteed some kind of weekly income or loan, this time around they are getting nothing and it could really kill the business once and for all
From what I’m hearing, it’s a mixed bag. County Road and Ale House both decided to shut down until January. Same ownership group and I think they’re just trying to save money.

Most of the bars in PNL are trying to figure out how to safely stay open and keep everyone working.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

More people in the US have now been vaccinated than have tested positive for COVID. More than 50 million have been vaccinated or had covid. Many studies estimate that the true case count in the US is 3-20 times more than what is reported.

Missouri (and KC) numbers have gone down a lot over the last few weeks. We are roughly around where we were in September/October. With the belief that reported cases are a fraction of the actuals, I wonder if Covid has burnt itself out (for now) here amongst groups not following the rules. It seems like almost everyone I know who blatantly didn't follow the rules has had it at some point.

As we know AstraZeneca's vaccine study has struggled here. Now J&J's new single shot is a second disappointment with only 60% effectiveness rate. Novavax is the silent hit with a 95.6% effectiveness rate against the original strands and 90% against the new UK one.

KC and MO doing alot better than than the rest of the US

US just not coming off of a peak.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

But yet no one has died from COVID-19 after having received any of the five leading vaccines (according to the NYT). That's a major success, regardless of whether people develop symptoms or not after being vaccinated.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Dave is right here again. A lot of those early trials that showed the highest efficacy did so before the vaccines started to mutate into current forms. I don’t believe we’ve seen ongoing reports of their true efficacy other than they produce antibodies still.

mRNA is easier to adapt to mutations quicker, so it’s worth putting significant resources into.

But az and jj are likely effective at not causing dead people and even hospitalization. Those are two wins.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I'm back in Florida taking care of relative. They are allowing 100% restaurant seating capacity in most areas and mask compliance is terrible. Google Maps has a COVID layer that shows most recent 7 day average of infection rate per 100K people. FL counties' infection rates are generally twice as high as KC area with Miami area about 4 times higher - despite MO being way behind US with vaccinations and FL generally more outdoors in winter. Constant flow of visitors from everywhere could be a factor in FL.

The vaccines haven't been confirmed if they prevent from getting COVID but is apparently more effective at preventing spread within body and avoid being hospitalized. Immunity might start to weaken after 6-8 months, not clear. So those vaccinated might still be able to acquire then spread virus. The experts are saying masks are needed even if vaccinated but compliance could get tougher if many think all they need is a vaccine. And many others may now blow off getting vaccinated if needing to wear mask anyway. And we'll have to see about vax effectiveness with future strains.
kas1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kas1 »

kas1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kas1 »

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Your link isn't accurate? It states that more data is needed before confirmed. Take a look at many credible sources. The vax's are apparently pretty effective with reducing symptoms and preventing hospitalizations but a lot of discrepancies about prevention of spreading. Some sources claim they do, others say they may not - including Johns Hopkins. The consensus appears to be... we don't know yet. The CDC and Fauci still recommend masks for those who take vax so there must not be a lot of confidence.

Either way, sounds like masks will still be needed even for those vaccinated, which could mean many will blow off getting a vax if still having to wear a mask. And mask compliance might become tougher with those who do get one.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

earthling wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:53 am I'm back in Florida taking care of relative. They are allowing 100% restaurant seating capacity in most areas and mask compliance is terrible. Google Maps has a COVID layer that shows most recent 7 day average of infection rate per 100K people. FL counties' infection rates are generally twice as high as KC area with Miami area about 4 times higher - despite MO being way behind US with vaccinations and FL generally more outdoors in winter. Constant flow of visitors from everywhere could be a factor in FL.

The vaccines haven't been confirmed if they prevent from getting COVID but is apparently more effective at preventing spread within body and avoid being hospitalized. Immunity might start to weaken after 6-8 months, not clear. So those vaccinated might still be able to acquire then spread virus. The experts are saying masks are needed even if vaccinated but compliance could get tougher if many think all they need is a vaccine. And many others may now blow off getting vaccinated if needing to wear mask anyway. And we'll have to see about vax effectiveness with future strains.
I recently spent two weeks in Florida on the beach and it was awesome. Felt normal again for the most part and their numbers are better than NY and CA. On par with Missouri even. With the exception of the virus capital of the world, Miami of course.

Interesting to see that even the high risk 65+ crowd doesn't want to be shuttered in their homes and would rather be out and about.

EDIT: I'm referring to "Deaths per 100k" which is what we should be looking at the hardest.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:17 am Dave is right here again. A lot of those early trials that showed the highest efficacy did so before the vaccines started to mutate into current forms. I don’t believe we’ve seen ongoing reports of their true efficacy other than they produce antibodies still.

mRNA is easier to adapt to mutations quicker, so it’s worth putting significant resources into.

But az and jj are likely effective at not causing dead people and even hospitalization. Those are two wins.
Novavax is the first "real world" trial against SA (60%, ~50% including previously HIV positive persons) and UK (90%) variants. Their trial and Moderna/Pfizer lab trials on the UK & SA variants show that the SA variant is by and large the "worst." I am hopeful that the booster shots against SA being developed by those firms can be completed shortly.

Getting a moderately effective vaccine is 100% better than getting nothing. I am very pro-vaccination.
Last edited by normalthings on Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Agree however if masks are still required for those who have taken vax, hopefully that won't discourage vax rate. And will most who take vax continue mask compliance. Much of US is still in 'freedumb' Trumpism mode.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

earthling wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:47 pm ^Agree however if masks are still required for those who have taken vax, hopefully that won't discourage vax rate. And will most who take vax continue mask compliance. Much of US is still in 'freedumb' Trumpism mode.
I get so sick of hearing this redneck analogy of "freedom" crap. Sure, there's a bunch of people who don't think the virus is serious or just don't care. Hell, some know it's serious and are willing to risk their own lives as opposed to live a life hiding at home. (I know I know, it's about protecting others) I don't know how many times I've seen someone get out of their truck and start to walk into a store, stop, go back and grab their mask before entering. I've not once been witness to one of these guys or gals ignore a mask policy or throw a fit. These are the exact same people y'all continue to call dumb and Trumpers. They may hate wearing a mask and may hate all the restrictions, but they're doing their part too.

It's also hypocritical as hell. How many Trump hating liberal types have we all seen out and about like there's nothing going on. Young college kids who are all about the planet, free things and equality just house partying it up like it's 1999. Democratic governors of states going to fancy restaurants without a mask. To pretend only dumb, redneck Trump lovers often downplay this virus is shortsighted.

Sorry for the rant.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:05 pm
earthling wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:47 pm ^Agree however if masks are still required for those who have taken vax, hopefully that won't discourage vax rate. And will most who take vax continue mask compliance. Much of US is still in 'freedumb' Trumpism mode.
I get so sick of hearing this redneck analogy of "freedom" crap. Sure, there's a bunch of people who don't think the virus is serious or just don't care. Hell, some know it's serious and are willing to risk their own lives as opposed to live a life hiding at home. (I know I know, it's about protecting others) I don't know how many times I've seen someone get out of their truck and start to walk into a store, stop, go back and grab their mask before entering. I've not once been witness to one of these guys or gals ignore a mask policy or throw a fit. These are the exact same people y'all continue to call dumb and Trumpers. They may hate wearing a mask and may hate all the restrictions, but they're doing their part too.

It's also hypocritical as hell. How many Trump hating liberal types have we all seen out and about like there's nothing going on. Young college kids who are all about the planet, free things and equality just house partying it up like it's 1999. Democratic governors of states going to fancy restaurants without a mask. To pretend only dumb, redneck Trump lovers often downplay this virus is shortsighted.

Sorry for the rant.
I think that not following Covid rules is pretty bi-partisan at this point. For example, Missouri is in line or below many blue and blue leaning states when it come to per capita covid numbers.

My anecdotal evidence is that strong liberal friends are now more likely to blatantly disregard the rules. In my experience, my more conservative and rural friends and family try to follow the rules but do not always know the true extent of what needs to be done. My bigger city "blue" friends have a much better understanding of what needs to be done yet do far more rule breaking. I have been surprised to see 100% masking at KMCI and KSTL but not in coastal city airports.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The difference is that Trump and Trumpists not only discouraged masks for so long, he mocked many for wearing them. I'm not aware of any moderate to left leaders who mocked others for wearing masks. Sure there are many of any disposition tired of masks and not compliant but Trump's position is not exactly something to pass off as insignificant. It's still a factor.

So given that masks might still be required after taking vax and we had a world leader mocking people for wearing them, that might impact vax rates.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

earthling wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:37 pm The difference is that Trump and Trumpists not only discouraged masks for so long, he mocked many for wearing them. I'm not aware of any moderate to left leaders who mocked others for wearing masks. Sure there are many of any disposition tired of masks and not compliant but Trump's position is not exactly something to pass off as insignificant. It's still a factor.
While I agree that Trumps handling of mask wearing was terrible, I truly think even if he was all for masks from the beginning, all those people who don't think the virus is serious and refuse to wear mask would still think the same way. Trump had plenty of power, but I don't think he was the main driver in the fact many on the right don't take the virus seriously. For them, it comes down to the government telling them how to live and they've always been on that path.

And when he mocked Biden for wearing a giant mask, even when he's hundreds of feet way from people, that was funny. ;)