T-Mobile Center (formerly Sprint Center)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: T-Mobile Center (formerly Sprint Center)

Post by KCPowercat »

good grief dude. Enough of the "you just don't get it" lines around here. Differing opinion doesn't have to regress to "I know more than you on this topic".

I was asking a legit question on if I was missing any "investment" you were referring. I guess I wasn't.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:56 pm good grief dude. Enough of the "you just don't get it" lines around here. Differing opinion doesn't have to regress to "I know more than you on this topic".

I was asking a legit question on if I was missing any "investment" you were referring. I guess I wasn't.
On this one, it's pretty clear he knows enough more than you that you don't know that your question wasn't legit
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:56 pm good grief dude. Enough of the "you just don't get it" lines around here. Differing opinion doesn't have to regress to "I know more than you on this topic".

I think it's pretty clear what the investment was, so by you not getting it and me finding that frustrating, I'm sure it comes across as "me knowing more about the topic" than you. Sometimes thats the case. I read a few dozen topics a day on here where it's clear others know more than me.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It doesn't "come across", it's the explicitly posting "I guess you probably don't understand how art installations like the IG sign are so impactful for cities" that I was saying good grief to. Your well accepted and appreciated expertise in P&L/Sprint Center doesn't equate to superior knowledge of instagram "art installations" being "investments" to our city arena. LOL.

Just a different style of posting I guess. I do it a lot to people to without realizing it I know. Happy Friday.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Sprint Center opening day pictures

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:54 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:47 pm We just don't have the same definition of gamechangers. An instagram acrylic thingie and a new roof sign are great and all but pretty basic.

What "investment" specifically are you referring to that I'm missing?
Yeah, I guess we do. A game changer to me doesn't have to directly impact myself for me to consider it a good thing.

Those two upgrades alone are more than a quarter million dollars worth of investment from T-Mobile that they didn't need to do. Yes, they mostly benefit them and that's fine. I guess you probably don't understand how art installations like the IG sign are so impactful for cities. Considering these photo ops provide cities with millions and millions of dollars worth of advertising on social media at zero cost, it's a big deal. Similar to how the "Chiefs Kingdom" sign placed at Union Station last year was huge for Union Station.
People take a photo at Lower Broadway in Nashville. Friends see those posts and it (1) starts a conversation (2) puts a power positive image and idea of Nashville in viewers' minds. Repeat this a billion times and you see why they are where are today (gross oversimplification).

Kansas City is, on the national scale, a backwater to the same degree that Nashville was once a backwater to KC. People just don't know about Kansas City, however, almost everyone who visits KC ends up loving it. It's a phenomenon that multiple established organizations here have started to embrace (not just DColeKC). Creating "snappable" opportunities around KC is critically important as more and more vacation travel is based on social media related trends. I would say that T-Mobile understanding this, and investing in the positive change, is a small but extremely good sign for their presence here.

From my own experiences, social media posts at the city market and first Fridays have been a huge factor in regional residents' rediscovery of downtown. That is why I am worried about the death of Crossroads as a block party having a long-term chilling effect (I agree changes needed to happen). Downtown has to "be on social media" to survive.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

these are two topics being mixed for unknown reasons.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:21 pm these are two topics being mixed for unknown reasons.
I guess I’m just trying to say that little things like the IG sign have a huge impact. The fact that T-Mobile, who many expected to leave ASAP, is making these investments is a good sign for their presence here.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Agreed. It's a great sign (rimshot)
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

I like it. Collison is crying like a baby about it on FB.

Author
CityScene KC
Hard to believe someone approved something this greasy to a publicly-owned facility.

Author
CityScene KC
You don't screw up the design of a good looking building with a garish sign stuck on top. At a minimum, this is something that should have been publicly discussed.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:40 pm I like it. Collison is crying like a baby about it on FB.

Author
CityScene KC
Hard to believe someone approved something this greasy to a publicly-owned facility.

Author
CityScene KC
You don't screw up the design of a good looking building with a garish sign stuck on top. At a minimum, this is something that should have been publicly discussed.
I like Collison but maybe he should be thankful that for over a decade he had his way with virtually no major signage on the building which is very odd for most arenas. Staples Center, MSG, United Center, T-Mobile Arena etc all have predominate exterior signage. I'm actually shocked that for all this time, the main signage was above the main entrance.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

It goes back to the design when it was supposed to be very clean because of the design competition and trying to get a team. Times change, it’s okay. But let’s not pretend it’s not just advertising.

The problem is you lose a lot of value because everyone still calls it the sprint center.

So they have to brand it. It’s fine. It’s not offensive, but the investment was minimal. No one pick this hill to care about, to butcher metaphors. They did a good job
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Slightly different angle

DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Look at this hideous skyline and that atrocious sign.

Walker
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Walker »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:30 am Look at this hideous skyline and that atrocious sign.

I love the sign!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Walker wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:45 am
DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:30 am Look at this hideous skyline and that atrocious sign.

I love the sign!
Me too!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I was hoping to see them swapping out some of the glass today, but they didn't get far with the high winds.

Also looks like the health department approved the Arenas plan for Disney On Ice.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:59 pm I was hoping to see them swapping out some of the glass today, but they didn't get far with the high winds.
What glass?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:07 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:59 pm I was hoping to see them swapping out some of the glass today, but they didn't get far with the high winds.
What glass?
The yellowish (sprint) panels for the appropriate T-Mobile magenta.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:09 pm
What glass?
I don't think I remember those. Cool nevertheless

What are the prospects of seeing Sprint Center re-skinned in my lifetime?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:22 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:09 pm

What glass?
I don't think I remember those. Cool nevertheless

What are the prospects of seeing Sprint Center re-skinned in my lifetime?
After this round of changes, probably not going to see that happen unless naming rights change.

One big project that will happen downtown will be the re-skinning of the KC Live roof though.