Politics

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Politics

Post by earthling »

phuqueue wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:55 am
normalthings wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:00 pm
Riverite wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:02 pm

People do move, more than you think. I’ve personally heard a number of people tell me that they would flat out refuse a job in a red state. If youre a straight white man it probably isn’t that important where you live, but I can promise you people will find a way if their rights are on the line
Business news has been dominated with stories about relocations due to election and tax. Biden proposed tax levels are helping driving East and West Coat rich to low or no income tax states. They are taking their businesses with them in many cases.
Ah yes, this is why Kansas is famously booming under their beloved governor Sam Brownback.

Kansas has had significant outmigration starting with the Brownback years, worse than MO. Has yet to recover from 'the experiment.;...
https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/data/popu ... ate/Kansas
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

My niece grew up in Lenexa. She graduated with an engineering degree last year from KU. She immediately fled saying she didn't want to live in a state that self-created a big budget hole; didn't fund education in poorer school districts; cut funding for developmentally-disabled people; and elected a governor that probably fantasized about creating The Handmaid's Tale there. Her parents are Republicans. lol.

One of my college friends also lives in Lenexa and all three of his sons left Kansas after graduation from KU.

The Brownback tax miracle didn't convince them to stay apparently.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:18 am Kansas has had significant outmigration starting with the Brownback years, worse than MO. Has yet to recover from 'the experiment.;...
https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/data/popu ... ate/Kansas
Without immigration it would look even worse than it does.

2015-19 the population increase was 12839. International immigration was 27163.

The birth rate is falling too, it's at 85% it's peak.

Kansas is clearly losing people right before they're going to have families, which matches the anecdotes given.

Immigration is unlikely to reverse that, it's quite common that as people become more prosperous that they have less kids.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Riverite wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:02 pm

People do move, more than you think. I’ve personally heard a number of people tell me that they would flat out refuse a job in a red state. If youre a straight white man it probably isn’t that important where you live, but I can promise you people will find a way if their rights are on the line
Business news has been dominated with stories about relocations due to election and tax. Biden proposed tax levels are helping driving East and West Coat rich to low or no income tax states. They are taking their businesses with them in many cases.
Ah yes, this is why Kansas is famously booming under their beloved governor Sam Brownback.
Florida, Tennessee, Texas are the areas of choice in said articles and all are booming.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

FangKC wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:13 pm My niece grew up in Lenexa. She graduated with an engineering degree last year from KU. She immediately fled saying she didn't want to live in a state that self-created a big budget hole; didn't fund education in poorer school districts; cut funding for developmentally-disabled people; and elected a governor that probably fantasized about creating The Handmaid's Tale there. Her parents are Republicans. lol.

One of my college friends also lives in Lenexa and all three of his sons left Kansas after graduation from KU.

The Brownback tax miracle didn't convince them to stay apparently.
Or maybe they left because it isn't exactly "cool" to live in Kansas? Let's see where they end up 5-10 years from now.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

normalthings wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:31 pm
Florida, Tennessee, Texas are the areas of choice in said articles and all are booming.
Each of these states was booming long before there were any "Biden proposed tax levels," and in any case, I'm not clear on what this has to do with whether people would have left MO if it were the largest state to go for Trump (which, lol, of course it wasn't), which is what we were actually talking about.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

So at this time (Thu Nov 5 early morning)...

If Biden gets PA it's over, otherwise he needs 2 other remaining states (am assuming AK goes Trump). GA seems most likely for Biden of remaining and maybe NV next most likely. Though at least 3 sources think Biden already has AZ, which doesn't seem very solid?

Arizona: Curious that FOXN is calling AZ for Biden given Trump is inching his way up in that state with a lot of suburban PHX votes still counting. PBS and AP also called AZ for Biden, most others have not. And odd GOP are protesting counting in AZ when Trump has been slightly gaining overnight. Over 480K votes outstanding with about 70K difference.

Georgia: The surprise switch may not be PA but GA. GA still has many ATL area votes outstanding and Biden is more rapidly trending up than the other remaining states. There are over 200K votes outstanding with under 25K difference at this point. Biden just might pull off GA.

Nevada: NV count hasn't changed since early yesterday, hard to tell trend. Over 200K votes outstanding only about 8K difference. Could go either way.

Penn: Biden inching his way up at a fairly good rate compared to others, many remaining votes in Philly area. Biden might get PA but GA seems to be higher chance based on rate of change overnight. 800K outstanding votes with under 200K difference.

North Carolina: Trend over last day toward Biden doesn't seem to be enough, Trump might get NC.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-e ... tion_usmap
https://www.foxnews.com/elections/2020/general-results
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Trump's easiest path to 270 is to lose 60 pounds
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:52 pm Trump's easiest path to 270 is to lose 60 pounds
I actually laughed out loud.
mykn

Post by mykn »

Time for some anarcho-Bidenism baby
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

mykn wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:57 am Time for some anarcho-Bidenism baby
What?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The question now is what crazy/dangerous things a mean-spirited Trump may attempt during the rest of his lame duck presidency. Could get worse than examples in link, such as riling up KJU/N Korea, attempt to shutdown govt during pandemic, incite violence with white nationalists, etc. Trump could continue some types of damage long after he's out of office, especially if enabled by someone like OAN, etc. Seems likely he'll continue a different form of power when back to reality TV given 10s of millions of adamant MAGA nationalist supporters.

edit: More here...
https://newrepublic.com/article/160059/ ... t-sabotage
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

earthling wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:40 pm The question now is what crazy/dangerous things a mean-spirited Trump may attempt during the rest of his lame duck presidency. Could get worse than examples in link, such as riling up KJU/N Korea, attempt to shutdown govt during pandemic, incite violence with white nationalists, etc. Trump could continue some types of damage long after he's out of office, especially if enabled by someone like OAN, etc. Seems likely he'll continue a different form of power when back to reality TV given 10s of millions of adamant MAGA nationalist supporters.

edit: More here...
https://newrepublic.com/article/160059/ ... t-sabotage
This is a bad and difficult situation. On one hand, after Trump won, the left spent years saying it wasn't legitimate. Basically attempting to undermine his presidency. Now, you have Trump throwing a fit which I hate, but it is his right to legally challenge the election. I just wish he would shut up and let the lawyers work. It's one thing to throw a fit because you lost, it's a new level if you start using the office to incite violence or other horrible things.

I'm still not 100% it's a win for Biden. More like 98% sure. After these last 4 years, nothing would surprise me.

What I do find interesting is the turnout and that Trump picked up millions more votes than last time. I think if it weren't for the Pandemic, Trump would have won easily.
mykn

Post by mykn »

Riverite wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:12 pm
mykn wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:57 am Time for some anarcho-Bidenism baby
What?
Just a meme from some lefty circles
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

And not to forget, upcoming in 2021... NY State vs. Trump for fraud charges.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

earthling wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:18 pm And not to forget, upcoming in 2021... NY State vs. Trump for fraud charges.
unless it's a criminal case that it's really just a bunch of hot air that you shouldn't be paying any attention to.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

im2kull wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:56 pm
earthling wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:18 pm And not to forget, upcoming in 2021... NY State vs. Trump for fraud charges.
unless it's a criminal case that it's really just a bunch of hot air that you shouldn't be paying any attention to.
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

The left spent years saying it wasn't entirely legitimate because it wasn't entirely legitimate. Is that even debatable? I assume he'd have won regardless, but the left wasn't trying to undermine his presidency, the undermining was done by the people who got convicted. They undermined themselves.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The tell is Trump’s lawyer Cohen went to jail, partially over tax evasion.

NY has been looking into tax evasion.

They likely already know what happened, it’s just about confirming who at this point.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There is likely more than just a tax evasion case. There are also probably going to be state charges of money-laundering, conspiracy to defraud, etc. There are also probably going to eventually be multiple-state prosecutions because whatever he was doing in one state, he was doing in another.

There are also sexual assault-related cases.
Last edited by FangKC on Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.