Lamp Post District - Mission, KS

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
bchociej
Ambassador

Re: Lamp Post District - Mission, KS

Post by bchociej »

Just a summary update of the Mission Bowl apartments project. Since my last post above, the proposal has passed through the Planning hearing, Community Development Committee, and full Council with unanimous approval of the Preliminary Development Plan. Finance and Admin now to discuss tax incentives related to stormwater improvements, dog park, trails improvements, and maintenance of the disused JoCo Wastewater infrastructure beneath the site. Previously planned stormwater improvements to the Rock Creek channel behind the property are moving along rapidly.

Meanwhile Mission has launched new city branding, slowly becoming more visible on the website but more dramatically so on social media and the banners along Johnson Drive. Now moving through the pipeline are some efforts related to wayfinding signage and park improvements. Dig through the minutes & agendas from the last couple months on missionks.org for details. Or ask and I'll likely be able to dig up some more info for you if you're interested.
City Council Member for Ward 4 in Mission, KS
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

I stopped by Werners to pick up a sandwich to go last week. That deli counter is old school but great
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

bchociej wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:50 am Just a summary update of the Mission Bowl apartments project. Since my last post above, the proposal has passed through the Planning hearing, Community Development Committee, and full Council with unanimous approval of the Preliminary Development Plan. Finance and Admin now to discuss tax incentives related to stormwater improvements, dog park, trails improvements, and maintenance of the disused JoCo Wastewater infrastructure beneath the site. Previously planned stormwater improvements to the Rock Creek channel behind the property are moving along rapidly.

Meanwhile Mission has launched new city branding, slowly becoming more visible on the website but more dramatically so on social media and the banners along Johnson Drive. Now moving through the pipeline are some efforts related to wayfinding signage and park improvements. Dig through the minutes & agendas from the last couple months on missionks.org for details. Or ask and I'll likely be able to dig up some more info for you if you're interested.
That's good because I moved to Mission a few months ago and our parks range from almost non-existent grass squares to terrible.
bchociej
Ambassador

Post by bchociej »

empires228 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:33 am That's good because I moved to Mission a few months ago and our parks range from almost non-existent grass squares to terrible.
As it happens, I sit on the Parks, Recreation, and Trees commission (consists of citizens) and have at least a little bit of input as to how parks are maintained and improved. I am happy to hear suggestions and complaints -- believe me, we're all with you in terms of wishing for much better parks in Mission. Our biggest challenge is, unsurprisingly, funding for major improvements, but there is a lot of planning going on right now to start moving things in the right direction. Happy to discuss more if you would like.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

bchociej wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:39 am
empires228 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:33 am That's good because I moved to Mission a few months ago and our parks range from almost non-existent grass squares to terrible.
As it happens, I sit on the Parks, Recreation, and Trees commission (consists of citizens) and have at least a little bit of input as to how parks are maintained and improved. I am happy to hear suggestions and complaints -- believe me, we're all with you in terms of wishing for much better parks in Mission. Our biggest challenge is, unsurprisingly, funding for major improvements, but there is a lot of planning going on right now to start moving things in the right direction. Happy to discuss more if you would like.
There's the problem.

Start with oversight of the basics. Flower beds should be weeded and mulched. Grass should be over-seeded and maintained. Paths should be cleared of snow.

Don't fund major improvements until this is top notch.
bchociej
Ambassador

Post by bchociej »

flyingember wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:04 am
There's the problem.

Start with oversight of the basics. Flower beds should be weeded and mulched. Grass should be over-seeded and maintained. Paths should be cleared of snow.

Don't fund major improvements until this is top notch.
I hear you loud and clear. These basic maintenance issues have absolutely come to the attention of the new directors of both Parks & Rec and Public Works, as other folks have shared similar concerns. I believe new maintenance and snow removal standards are or recently have been active agenda items on council committees. Just for your information, the overwhelming input for improvements at the moment has to do with adding restrooms in parks where there are none. In any case, I will pass along your concerns and take the opportunity to remind council and city staff that this is an ongoing problem.

Please also share your thoughts with council and city staff, if you are willing, as they are the true decision makers and implementers here. I'm certain they would be glad to hear your input.

Contact info:

Councilmembers -- https://www.missionks.org/pview.aspx?id=16270&catid=657

City staff -- Penn Almoney (Parks), Celia Duran (Public Works) -- https://www.missionks.org/staff.aspx?id=16272&catid=657
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Restrooms is a good one to do and if that's seriously considered things are on the right path. KC Parks has a huge gap here where the best parks have plenty of amenities and no restrooms. You can stay in a park all day with this one thing.
bchociej
Ambassador

Post by bchociej »

Plat, TIF, and IRBs all passed for converting Mission Bowl into apartments (5399 Martway).

Further west, Tidal Wave Auto Spa construction is well underway at 6501 Johnson Dr.
bchociej
Ambassador

Post by bchociej »

Tidal Wave is all but done now.

More notably, a road diet proposal for Johnson Drive to restripe from 4 lanes to 3 (with CARS funding) was on the Community Development agenda tonight. Item starts on page 12 of this large PDF: https://www.missionks.org/wp-content/up ... cket-1.pdf

Many thanks to BikeWalkKC for their very nice Road Diet Guide which begins on page 68 of the same PDF.
mRoyal
Pad site
Pad site

Post by mRoyal »

Johnson Dr happenings:
Snack Shack opening in old Town Topic location.
Sisters Thai Grocery at SW corner of Johnson and Outlook.
Jefferson's Wings in old Pride Cleaners location at Nall and Johnson.
Strouds Express in old Lucky Brewgrill spot.
Tyler's House KC (non-profit) next to Lamar's Donuts.
Interior work being done on old Brothers Music at SE corner of Johnson and Dearborn.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

One of the biggest thing that needs to be done is the removal of invasive honeysuckle plants that have completely taken over parks like Streamway and are killing off the trees and native wildlife.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

mRoyal wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:08 pm Interior work being done on old Brothers Music at SE corner of Johnson and Dearborn.
The result is an atrocious use of some prime space, a very ugly, weirdly bright light window display physical therapy spot Athletico.
bchociej
Ambassador

Post by bchociej »

MS1 isn't meant for medical arts uses but, as I just learned reading the code, I guess it's allowed if nobody else wants to lease it... I agree that it's an odd use. https://ecode360.com/28335186