Politics

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

phuqueue wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:45 am
DColeKC wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:31 pm
phuqueue wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:12 pm If you're only planning to repeat points that were already made and answered four days ago, you know you don't really have to mash that reply button, don't you?
If you're only going to discount my input and reply with a "why even reply", you don't really have to mash that reply button. I guess I could have been lazy and quoted someone else's response with, "I AGREE!!!!!"

For fucks sake.
So we're agreed, you actually have nothing to add to the conversation.
DColeKC wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:46 pm
mean wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:13 pm

How is this not literally the definition of apologism? I pointed out a horrible thing the dude said and you are furiously doing the "it's not that bad" dance. Democrats disqualified Howard Dean for making an enthusiastic squeal in 2004, and Trump talks flippantly about sexual assault--whether he did it or not--and it is forgiven, mostly by people who are supposedly the moral ones? To quote Joe Biden, "Come on!" It's gross.

grovester beat me, but same idea
I'm not making excuses for what he said. I'm offering up the idea that things like that are often said amongst men and I'd be very impressed if you two haven't said anything that could be perceived as inappropriate about the opposite sex. From what I've seen of you on here, if you had billions and power, you'd be completely out of control. Saying you could grab pussies would likely be the least of your errors.

Look at the tiny amount of power you have over this forum and how you utilize that.
Not sure what you think the rest of your post is doing here if you're "not making excuses" for Trump. What are you doing, then?

There is a difference between something "that could be perceived as inappropriate" and bragging about sexual assault. In my life as a man, which has included plenty of time in the fabled locker room, I have heard (and yes, regrettably, said) a lot of the former, but never the latter. If it is your genuine belief that this is common, it isn't because men generally boast about assaulting women, it is because you surround yourself with bad men and/or are a bad man yourself. Arguing that others in this thread are just as bad is presumptuous and unfounded.

It's also irrelevant. Nobody in this thread is or is running for president. We don't need to hold random strangers to the same standard that we should be holding the head of state (although we should be holding everybody to at least a basic standard of "don't rape people"), and maybe more importantly, we should definitely be holding the head of state to a much higher standard than we hold random strangers.

I can agree that people who have billions and power are completely out of control, though. That's why nobody should have billions or power.
I’m simply offering a different perspective than has been mentioned on here. You know, context. I’m not discounting what he said or saying it’s even ok, but for so many men to act outraged and shocked he said it is disingenuous at the very least. I’ve heard comments like, “man I’d do (insert perverted action) to her” which in the moment, doesn’t always come across as alarming because we typically know it’s not literal. If that person follows through on that comment against her will, he’s a sexual predator and overall pile of shit. If it were ever proven that Trump has sexually assaulted someone, I’d support him going to prison and ripping his name off of all his buildings.

Of course the POTUS should be on the moral high ground but come on, almost none of them are. JFK was a womanizer and cheated on his wife, he’s a hero. Clinton got a sloppy BJ in the most historical office in the world, he’s a hero. Bush used to snort the ole white girl, no one cares.

As for your comment there should be no billionaires. That’s one of the dumbest arguments liberals make.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Not changing the topic, but how's everyone feeling about the race? Seems like it's getting tighter and many of the swing states are in or close to being within the margin of error. It's starting to feel like this is going to be a real nail bitter. I'd love to have a election night watch party, but it would require too much security!
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:05 pm Not changing the topic, but how's everyone feeling about the race? Seems like it's getting tighter and many of the swing states are in or close to being within the margin of error. It's starting to feel like this is going to be a real nail bitter. I'd love to have a election night watch party, but it would require too much security!
In my opinion, neither Trump or Biden will get over 290 electoral votes. It will be close, but I don’t see it being a blowout for Biden and I don’t see a “red wave” like the Trump voters are talking about. It’ll be closer than 2016 for sure.

For the Senate, I see it remaining in the GOP’s favor with 51 to 49. Their majority will be reduced and they could lose the Senate during the Mid-Term elections in 2022. Republicans will not take back control of the house.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:33 am On a serious note: Last nights debate was 100 times more watchable than the first one. Both appeared to do well with no major flubs. I do think Biden is going to have to address this Hunter stuff. It won’t impact the election but I really don’t want to end up in the same boat we did with Trump and the Democrats spending all that time investigating. They opened a can of worms and the republicans will do the same damn thing, constantly trying to find dirt on Biden.

One thing I wish Trump would have said to Joe as Joe kept saying “look at my tax returns” in defense of not taking money from his sons dealings. Trump should have said the American people aren’t stupid. Just because your son and brother hold on to your cut in their accounts doesn’t mean you weren’t involved.
The reason why the mainstream media has not picked up the story is because there is no story. It's oddly similar to the Hillary Clinton email "controversy" in 2016 that amounted to nothing. Voters are wiser this time around.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Highlander wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:32 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:33 am On a serious note: Last nights debate was 100 times more watchable than the first one. Both appeared to do well with no major flubs. I do think Biden is going to have to address this Hunter stuff. It won’t impact the election but I really don’t want to end up in the same boat we did with Trump and the Democrats spending all that time investigating. They opened a can of worms and the republicans will do the same damn thing, constantly trying to find dirt on Biden.

One thing I wish Trump would have said to Joe as Joe kept saying “look at my tax returns” in defense of not taking money from his sons dealings. Trump should have said the American people aren’t stupid. Just because your son and brother hold on to your cut in their accounts doesn’t mean you weren’t involved.
The reason why the mainstream media has not picked up the story is because there is no story. It's oddly similar to the Hillary Clinton email "controversy" in 2016 that amounted to nothing. Voters are wiser this time around.
There's no story? There's hard evidence which as of today is being investigated by the FBI. Biden's camp won't deny the legitimacy of the emails, the hard drive or any of the evidence. Wouldn't they deny deny deny if it amounted to "nothing"?

The former business associate, who seems highly credible, handed over 3 phones with emails, WhatsApp messages and documents he says will prove Joe Biden is lying. The FBI won't comment or release it's findings before the election (understandably), but if Biden wins, plan on several more senate hearings and more turmoil. Only to find out politicians are crooks! OMG, NO WAY!
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Highlander is correct.

If the FBI is indeed investigating, they are probably going after Giuliani and whoever is funding this malarkey.

There's a reason this is happening 2 weeks out from an election.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

grovester wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:47 pm Highlander is correct.

If the FBI is indeed investigating, they are probably going after Giuliani and whoever is funding this malarkey.

There's some serious heads in the sand here. I'm sure you all had no hesitation full out believing the russia dossier? Where there was no hard evidence but here we have hard drives, emails, photos, text conversations and eye witness accounts... but NO, it's malarkey.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

BTW, the FBI has admitted Hunters laptop is part of a money laundering investigation. The DNI has said this is not Russian misinformation plot either. Once again, I know it won't stop anyone from voting for Biden. That's not the point but to pretend this is 100% nothing is a joke.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:21 am I’m simply offering a different perspective than has been mentioned on here. You know, context.
It is not necessary for you to explain to a group that is mostly (entirely?) men "how men talk."
I’m not discounting what he said or saying it’s even ok, but for so many men to act outraged and shocked he said it is disingenuous at the very least. I’ve heard comments like, “man I’d do (insert perverted action) to her” which in the moment, doesn’t always come across as alarming because we typically know it’s not literal.
"Man I'd do x to her" is not the same thing as "I actually do x to women," which is what Trump bragged. "Perverted actions" between consenting adults are fine, but sexual assault is more than a "perverted action."
If that person follows through on that comment against her will, he’s a sexual predator and overall pile of shit. If it were ever proven that Trump has sexually assaulted someone, I’d support him going to prison and ripping his name off of all his buildings.
Spoiler alert: it will never be "proven" because it is always the woman's word against the man's, and guess who everybody always believes!
Of course the POTUS should be on the moral high ground but come on, almost none of them are. JFK was a womanizer and cheated on his wife, he’s a hero. Clinton got a sloppy BJ in the most historical office in the world, he’s a hero. Bush used to snort the ole white girl, no one cares.
This is beside the point. The fact that presidents consistently fail to meet the standard we should be setting for them doesn't mean that it makes any sense to hold random strangers to that same standard, as you attempted to do in your other post. In any case, none of the offenses you listed here is equivalent to sexual assault. I'm not sure why you're having such trouble wrapping your mind around the difference between "sex" and "rape." (Although, for what it's worth, you could have mentioned that Bill Clinton is very likely a rapist as well.)
As for your comment there should be no billionaires. That’s one of the dumbest arguments liberals make.
You have Stockholm syndrome.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

You're right, I'm emotionally attached to Bill Gates. I love him so much.

What year you living in? The majority of people will believe accusations these days without any proof. I.E - Kavanaugh.

Sometimes I wonder if you ever get sick of telling me everything I say isn't correct. I think if I said black is black, you'd find an angle to argue my comment.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:04 pmThere's some serious heads in the sand here. I'm sure you all had no hesitation full out believing the russia dossier? Where there was no hard evidence but here we have hard drives, emails, photos, text conversations and eye witness accounts... but NO, it's malarkey.
mean wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:19 amIt is reasonably clear that the Russians wanted to install Trump and attempted to influence the election in order to do so. On that count I don't have any issues. Whether the Trump campaign knew about it seems less clear, although it doesn't seem SUPER unlikely given the meetings between various people around Trump and Kislyak, but we don't really know yet afaict. And whether there was any collusion seems yet less clear. My fear is that Putin is particularly clever and deliberately created the appearance of knowledge/collusion to induce an investigation which would come up at least mostly empty, thereby vindicating and strengthening Trump while simultaneously weakening the media. In this scenario, Trump firing Comey only helps because it makes Trump look worse, strengthening the "liberal media's" collusion narrative which, of course, when the facts come out, make them look like the fake news Trump has been accusing them of being while making the Russia collusion story a baseless conspiracy theory widely believed by the left. Now, in the national narrative, who are the dummies believing in fake news and conspiracy theories? Unfortunately, I think Putin might just be that crafty. Of course, that's just my pet conspiracy theory (I take it an extra level deep, fam (DID I USE THAT RIGHT LOL GOTTA STAY HIP))
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

mean wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:35 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:04 pmThere's some serious heads in the sand here. I'm sure you all had no hesitation full out believing the russia dossier? Where there was no hard evidence but here we have hard drives, emails, photos, text conversations and eye witness accounts... but NO, it's malarkey.
mean wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:19 amIt is reasonably clear that the Russians wanted to install Trump and attempted to influence the election in order to do so. On that count I don't have any issues. Whether the Trump campaign knew about it seems less clear, although it doesn't seem SUPER unlikely given the meetings between various people around Trump and Kislyak, but we don't really know yet afaict. And whether there was any collusion seems yet less clear. My fear is that Putin is particularly clever and deliberately created the appearance of knowledge/collusion to induce an investigation which would come up at least mostly empty, thereby vindicating and strengthening Trump while simultaneously weakening the media. In this scenario, Trump firing Comey only helps because it makes Trump look worse, strengthening the "liberal media's" collusion narrative which, of course, when the facts come out, make them look like the fake news Trump has been accusing them of being while making the Russia collusion story a baseless conspiracy theory widely believed by the left. Now, in the national narrative, who are the dummies believing in fake news and conspiracy theories? Unfortunately, I think Putin might just be that crafty. Of course, that's just my pet conspiracy theory (I take it an extra level deep, fam (DID I USE THAT RIGHT LOL GOTTA STAY HIP))
Thank you. I sincerely appreciate you posting this. It's clear you're intelligent and able to think without bias.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

...but you realize that I'm not vindicating Trump there, right? I'm alleging that the Russian conspiracy could simply be deeper and more complex (and cleverer) than anyone thought, but that it's still a legit conspiracy against America.

The problem here is that the onion has so many layers, and the layer you tune out on is the one that your bias feels comfortable with. I've been making this argument literally for years on here. In this very thread.

edit: Not to mention, you think I'm intelligent and capable of thinking without bias when you think I'm agreeing with you, and you think I'm a monster who wields his "power" inappropriately when you think I'm disagreeing with you? Are you bipolar or something? To be clear, I don't mean that to be disrespectful, it's a genuine sense of completely failing to understand exactly who you think I am.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

So Trump highly likely needs FL to win. FiveThirtyEight thinks Biden has strong chance to win FL (70/30) at this point.
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/20 ... t/florida/

Meanwhile...
The Florida Division of Elections reported Friday that 4,771,956 people have voted either by mail or in-person early voting, more than the 4.61 million total votes cast for Trump in 2016. The votes cast just under two weeks from Election Day is roughly 33 percent of all registered voters in the state.

According to the report, 2.1 million Democrats have voted in-person or by mail in the Florida general election so far, compared to 1.6 million Republicans.

There are currently 14.4 million registered voters in Florida. In 2016, 9.5 million of the then 12.8 million registered voters cast their ballots in the general election, according to the Division of Elections.
https://www.newsweek.com/number-early-v ... 16-1541754

And...
Nearly 3 million Latinos nationwide have voted early, compared to about 1.4 million who cast ballots at this point in 2016. Nearly 500,000 are young Latino voters under the age of 30; about 65 percent (311,633 voters) of them voted for the first time, according to TargetSmart data as of Thursday evening.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/you ... n-n1244492
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:04 pm

There's some serious heads in the sand here. I'm sure you all had no hesitation full out believing the russia dossier? Where there was no hard evidence but here we have hard drives, emails, photos, text conversations and eye witness accounts... but NO, it's malarkey.
https://www.newsweek.com/wsj-newsroom-f ... ds-1541553

https://www.salon.com/2020/10/23/a-fox- ... -_partner/
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

mean wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:21 pm ...but you realize that I'm not vindicating Trump there, right? I'm alleging that the Russian conspiracy could simply be deeper and more complex (and cleverer) than anyone thought, but that it's still a legit conspiracy against America.

The problem here is that the onion has so many layers, and the layer you tune out on is the one that your bias feels comfortable with. I've been making this argument literally for years on here. In this very thread.

edit: Not to mention, you think I'm intelligent and capable of thinking without bias when you think I'm agreeing with you, and you think I'm a monster who wields his "power" inappropriately when you think I'm disagreeing with you? Are you bipolar or something? To be clear, I don't mean that to be disrespectful, it's a genuine sense of completely failing to understand exactly who you think I am.

No, I appreciate you taking the time to post something you said 3 years ago that proves my assumption wrong. It was new information to me and obviously changed my opinion. It’s not about agreeing or disagreeing with me.

As for my comments about power; I don’t think you abuse it, my point was, what if you were one of the admins of the entire country. Would you be able to control that power and not let it go to your head? I think it’s very hard to have power and remain humble.

Not sure how you ask someone if they’re bipolar without being disrespectful. I did participate in dozens of hours of therapy 2 decades ago with my girlfriend at the time who was clinically diagnosed with Bipolar disorder.

Sadly, I lost her and our child she was carrying. Unless there’s a shrink on here, I’m confident I’m toward the upper rankings of bipolar knowledge. Btw. It has nothing to do with understanding who others are. Being open minded and willing to learn isn’t a mental disorder.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

grovester wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:11 pm

Cool. Two articles from two far left media sources.(according to media bias websites)
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:05 am
grovester wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:11 pm

Cool. Two articles from two far left media sources.(according to media bias websites)
Yes, Wall Street Journal and Fox News.

Do you even click bro?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Yes bro, I clicked and read both articles. A far left publication quoting selective information isn’t exactly enough for me.

I’ll wait for more information and I honestly hope he’s cleared because I don’t want more special investigations and senate hearings.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Where do you even get your news from? If the WSJ is too “far left” for your tastes I can’t imagine there’s any news source left that you’re willing to entertain. Yet, you hold such strong convictions you must be getting your ideas from somewhere right?