OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Re: We are getting a new airport!!!

Post by horizons82 »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:58 pm Got a link to those approved plans?
It took a minute, but finally found the compass link from September of last year:

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... ttachments

The sections don't call out heights, but if you want to eyeball it, just remember that a standard door is ~7'-0" high.

What I did was pull these sections into a specialty architecture pdf viewer that allows you to calibrate a scale. I was able to do this by pulling some dimension from the art commission pdf which includes actual construction document sections:

https://www.buildkci.com/wp-content/upl ... -1-web.pdf

I will caution, if someone looks thru that art RFQ, don't take much or any stock in the white-only images of the terminal. Those are unvarnished perspectives from a BIM model that lack any ambient lighting, furniture, graphics, or material finishes. The non-section ones don't even have people for a sense of scale.

Other interesting notes from the RFQ packet:

Page 3: The outdoor arrivals level area (for animal relief and passengers) appears to have changed design again. It's now more of a three leaf clover instead of a traditional plaza.
Page 10: An interior fountain has been nixed, at least from the retail node. This is due to it being on top of the baggage sort area. Sucks, but the reasoning makes sense.
Page 15: Confirmation of (at least the space for) 1 non-USO lounge
Page 16: General finishes are shown - looks like we'll have some nice terrazo floors, warm wood (no surprise given the earlier released images) and a relatively colorful palate, at least by modern standards.
Page 20: shows off a perspective not previously released. This gives a good sense of scale for the retail nodes.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

horizons82 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:36 pm
Page 10: An interior fountain has been nixed, at least from the retail node. This is due to it being on top of the baggage sort area. Sucks, but the reasoning makes sense.
As far as I can tell, the document notes an interior fountain in the previously proposed location.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

normalthings wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:58 pm
As far as I can tell, the document notes an interior fountain in the previously proposed location.
In the description for Retail Node A, they state (emphasis is mine):

"COMMISSION DESCRIPTION:
The installation is inspired by Kansas City’s history as “The City of Fountains.” While no water may be used in this location due to its position above the terminal’s baggage system, it is intended to embody the qualities of a fountain and may be hung and/or floor mounted. The
installation is centered on the clerestory “popup.” KCI intends to host musical performances in the space adjacent to the installation. "

The rendering that was shared with the public previously (and is on the right side of said RFQ page) shows an actual water feature. Since this has been nixed and the departures check-in fountain was nixed very early on, I don't think there will be any water features in the new terminal now. Unless I've missed something in the plans? AFAIK, the outdoor arrival-level fountain is still happening.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

horizons82 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:16 pm
normalthings wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:58 pm

In the description for Retail Node A, they state (emphasis is mine):

"COMMISSION DESCRIPTION:
The installation is inspired by Kansas City’s history as “The City of Fountains.” While no water may be used in this location due to its position above the terminal’s baggage system, it is intended to embody the qualities of a fountain and may be hung and/or floor mounted. The
installation is centered on the clerestory “popup.” KCI intends to host musical performances in the space adjacent to the installation. "

The rendering that was shared with the public previously (and is on the right side of said RFQ page) shows an actual water feature. Since this has been nixed and the departures check-in fountain was nixed very early on, I don't think there will be any water features in the new terminal now. Unless I've missed something in the plans? AFAIK, the outdoor arrival-level fountain is still happening.
Interesting! good catch
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

This thing is turning into the aldi's of airport terminals.

It's fine the bones will be there to enhance as needed but it's not going to blow anybody's socks off with it's sexiness.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

It looks like Austin.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:19 pm This thing is turning into the aldi's of airport terminals.

It's fine the bones will be there to enhance as needed but it's not going to blow anybody's socks off with it's sexiness.
It is looking a bit like 2005's airport of the future.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Fountain or not, the new terminal will be so nice compared to the current KCI. Honestly unless it's an amazing modern and high tech fountain, a fountain would probably make the terminal look like a 1980's mall.

They could do something like what they have in Singapore:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmETioVtRG0

Or even better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICixCazf6-k

A lazy (probably cheap) fountain to me would be dated and not very modern or contemporary. This terminal will be nice, but it needs something to make it interesting. 1% for art should go to something really cool.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:22 pm Fountain or not, the new terminal will be so nice compared to the current KCI. Honestly unless it's an amazing modern and high tech fountain, a fountain would probably make the terminal look like a 1980's mall.

Or even better:

A lazy (probably cheap) fountain to me would be dated and not very modern or contemporary. This terminal will be nice, but it needs something to make it interesting. 1% for art should go to something really cool.
Agreed. Good analogy to a 80's mall. I could see an artistic interruption of a fountain taking it's place. They have sent out the call for artists on the project.

https://www.buildkci.com/calls-for-arti ... y-history/
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

I’ll take the second one please!!!
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I would say the 1% for the arts has a questionable track record. Sometimes I find the artists are less concerned with complimenting the design than just doing whatever the fuck they want.

Every place that pitches kc includes a fountain and then they take it out on design because it's too expensive.

Their first two story design looked great, but I agree no fountain is better than a fountain for little kids to throw pennies in.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:01 pm I agree no fountain is better than a fountain for little kids to throw pennies in.
You mean stick their hand in and then lick.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:17 am
GRID wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:22 pm Fountain or not, the new terminal will be so nice compared to the current KCI. Honestly unless it's an amazing modern and high tech fountain, a fountain would probably make the terminal look like a 1980's mall.

Or even better:

Agreed. Good analogy to a 80's mall. I could see an artistic interruption of a fountain taking it's place. They have sent out the call for artists on the project.

https://www.buildkci.com/calls-for-arti ... y-history/
That's what I'm saying, I know. The city has the funding and space to put a really exciting and modern art structure in the terminal which would be much better than a lazy fountain. I just hope the city chooses something decent.

As a user of KCI's rental car facility, I also hope they build that proposed people mover.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I do like the kinetic LED lighting ceiling idea you posted. Very cool. Hell I could see using something like that for general signage.

I haven't heard anything on the people mover in a bit. Wonder where that is?
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:08 am I do like the kinetic LED lighting ceiling idea you posted. Very cool. Hell I could see using something like that for general signage.

I haven't heard anything on the people mover in a bit. Wonder where that is?
They are going to go with a Digital Fountain in Node A.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

City of Fountain.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:08 am I haven't heard anything on the people mover in a bit. Wonder where that is?
I remember seeing the interview with Justin Myer about it, he had said no construction would begin on the project until well after new terminal construction completes.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

video posted today, they were installing the final beam for the elevated road deck that will be the departures drop off area directly in front of the airport. Hopefully we’ll see the approaches added soon. Link below

https://youtu.be/NRgpYYZsiNI
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:24 pm Hopefully we’ll see the approaches added soon.
How very Kansas Citian of you to be hopeful for road approaches