Bannister Mall/Cerner

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Bannister Mall/Cerner

Post by empires228 »

https://fox4kc.com/news/large-florida-b ... e=facebook

Cerner has been dropped by a large healthcare provider in Florida.
beermestrength
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by beermestrength »

Hope Cerner isn't headed down the road of Sprint. Successful company brought to its knees by bad management.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

More like DST. Mentioned before an IT architect friend told me many Cerner back end systems are antiquated, stuck in 90s application architecture (like DST), and they have no plans to modernize some key systems. Priorities are out of whack. Now they are apparently trying to diversify more broadly rather than reinforce their lead. Is possible that Cerner has peaked and perhaps board/stockholders are pressuring them to diversify unaware of core problem.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I don't think Cerner is headed down the same path as Sprint. Certainly has been a little rougher seas so to speak with the death of Neal Patterson & retirement of Cliff Illig all within a 2 year span. Not to mention C-suite departures and shakes ups. However I think they will rebound and and continue their success. It has been a boom company that still has the huge VA deal. I agree they should look at innovating where they can and upgrade application architecture that makes sense to do so. However Sprint was crushed by their acquisition of Nextel. That was a bad bet and even worse merger.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Taco Bell and Hanpton Inn coming to property.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Will you have to have a cerner badge to get though the gates to eat at taco bell? That project is a joke. Largest tif in the country and the city got pretty much nothing out of it.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

It's to have Retail on property maybe on land designated for Retail.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

GRID wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:08 am Will you have to have a cerner badge to get though the gates to eat at taco bell? That project is a joke. Largest tif in the country and the city got pretty much nothing out of it.
Lot of jobs, and if they stick around long enough to outlive the TIF it will produce substantial tax revenue. Not to mention it removed a huge blighted area. Wouldn't call that "pretty much nothing".

Did they make a bunch of unrealistic promises about people moving into the area and benefits to the school district, yes, yes they did. But if you, or any of the politicians, believed any of that, then shame on you.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 63916.html

So did Cerner pledge to build retail or just that retail would result from their development on the abated land? The article is not clear. In any event, it doesn't sound like anything other than a couple of fast food franchises and a hotel. Never expected much more than that.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

shinatoo wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:13 pm
GRID wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:08 am Will you have to have a cerner badge to get though the gates to eat at taco bell? That project is a joke. Largest tif in the country and the city got pretty much nothing out of it.
Lot of jobs, and if they stick around long enough to outlive the TIF it will produce substantial tax revenue. Not to mention it removed a huge blighted area. Wouldn't call that "pretty much nothing".

Did they make a bunch of unrealistic promises about people moving into the area and benefits to the school district, yes, yes they did. But if you, or any of the politicians, believed any of that, then shame on you.
Over 2 BILLION in incentives. Have you even really digested that? The city will never get a return on that investment. Never.

So at the very least, they should have required a better design. Something other than a gated and secured office park with 50 acres of surface parking lots. That campus is straight out of 1985, it's rare to even see such developments anymore. For 2 billion in incentives, the development either should have better interaction with the surrounding area or it should be a full blown mixed use district that the neighborhood could at take advantage of. That development is nothing more than a massive corporate welfare grab by Cerner and they should be ashamed.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

GRID wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:22 am
shinatoo wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:13 pm

Over 2 BILLION in incentives. Have you even really digested that? The city will never get a return on that investment. Never.

So at the very least, they should have required a better design. Something other than a gated and secured office park with 50 acres of surface parking lots. That campus is straight out of 1985, it's rare to even see such developments anymore. For 2 billion in incentives, the development either should have better interaction with the surrounding area or it should be a full blown mixed use district that the neighborhood could at take advantage of. That development is nothing more than a massive corporate welfare grab by Cerner and they should be ashamed.
The city didn't write them a check. If Cerner hadn't moved in, there would be nothing generated from that plot and the City would have to administer and derelict building, costing them money.

Also, there will never be 2 billion in incentives because Cerner will never develop enough projects to take advantage of those incentives, as is plainly illustrated by the article.

Questionable if they will even build out all of the office buildings they have proposed.
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

I have a strong suspicion that the current management is not that keen on the whole project anymore. It will remain an island far into the future, and probably never be built out. But this is just a reflection of the neglect that south KC has seen for decades. It seems stuck in the early 1980s (or earlier). Look at the area around Holmes and 99th. Not exactly a hot bed of new investment.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I think it's a good sign they are trying to shed land to actual developers. Not for Cerner but for the area.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Buildings 3 and 4 are set to open within the next month or two.

The gated offices are standard for all campuses pursuant to Cerner's security requirements that we are audited on. Cerner WHQ is not gated due to the nature of the business there.

I have no inside knowledge re: the overall project. I do some work on it on a low level. I like the building design but hate the surface parking lots. Have lost my car there a time or two. Seriously so bad. I think they just got the tax breaks and were just willing to say "yes" to whatever at the time - growth was incredibly strong back in the peak period of meaningful use.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

If they break they TIF agreement then simply nullify the TIF?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Grocery store eyes empty big-box space near Cerner’s Innovations Campus

Price Chopper soon could occupy part of a former Kmart at East Bannister and Hillcrest roads, a stone's throw from Cerner's Innovations Campus in south Kansas City.
The documents anticipate completing construction around May 2021.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... ZXF4In0%3D
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Also future Pad Sites to.
crazywarriorman
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by crazywarriorman »

A larger issue is a majority of Cerner's employee's (especially the ones at this campus) are young professionals or new grads straight out of college. They're young, no families, dealing with student loans, and they sure as hell don't want to buy a house in Raytown. They want apartment living that has amenities and is close to entertainment. The closest thing that offers that would be over the state line in Overland Park. I talked to many people who worked at this campus and none of them lived closer than 15 minutes away.

I've heard from many friends that I worked with at Cerner that they've been relocated to this campus, and that the company planning to sell their Legends building - the Continuous Campus - and move everyone over to the newly completed towers. I assume this is due to MO incentives and minimizing headache with taxes in two different states.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

This project would have worked if 1/4 of the 2.2 billion in incentives granted for this project would have gone to creating a brand new, massive mixed use development. Plenty of people would have chosen to live in the development and that is what would have created far more impact on the aging surrounding neighborhoods. I have been screaming since the day this project was announced that it will do nothing for SKC if it's built as planned.

How is a walled off single use office park, that locals can't even drive through with more surface parking than the truman sports complex going to do anything for SKC? It's just not. The amount of incentives this project got for what is being built is off the charts asinine. Even the absurd Amazon HQ projects didn't get incentives like Cerner did and those projects are very urban with structured parking (likely underground) etc.

Cerner not doing a proper HQ (in SKC or Downtown) is by far the biggest missed opportunity in the history of the KC area in my opinion. And that says a lot because KC has a shit ton of missed opportunities.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:38 am This project would have worked if 1/4 of the 2.2 billion in incentives granted for this project would have gone to creating a brand new, massive mixed use development. Plenty of people would have chosen to live in the development and that is what would have created far more impact on the aging surrounding neighborhoods. I have been screaming since the day this project was announced that it will do nothing for SKC if it's built as planned.

How is a walled off single use office park, that locals can't even drive through with more surface parking than the truman sports complex going to do anything for SKC? It's just not. The amount of incentives this project got for what is being built is off the charts asinine. Even the absurd Amazon HQ projects didn't get incentives like Cerner did and those projects are very urban with structured parking (likely underground) etc.

Cerner not doing a proper HQ (in SKC or Downtown) is by far the biggest missed opportunity in the history of the KC area in my opinion. And that says a lot because KC has a shit ton of missed opportunities.
Most of the high-quality Cerner talent (top 15 uni)that I knew have left the firm to join others that offer urban live-work.