Politics

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Politics

Post by flyingember »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:41 pm
flyingember wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:08 am CNN was 4% opinion content the same year.
Do you happen to have a source for this? I too am quite skeptical of that figure
The Project on Excellence in Journalism report in 2006

It looks like CNN has added more opinion content since then and MSNBC a ton.

In 2013 percent opinion content:

MSNBC: 85%
Fox 55%
CNN: 45%

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... r-opinion/

By 2019 MSNBC was only 4% of people's main source for news.

My guess is CNN moved towards Fox and Fox lessened their opinion (it was the opinion shows that had the big advertiser loss) while MSNBC hurt themselves in a big shift towards opinion content

In other words, people want news, not opinion and the big problems don't come from the specific network, but by having too many opinion shows that people can't identify as such.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

flyingember wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:28 am
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:41 pm
flyingember wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:08 am CNN was 4% opinion content the same year.
Do you happen to have a source for this? I too am quite skeptical of that figure
The Project on Excellence in Journalism report in 2006

It looks like CNN has added more opinion content since then and MSNBC a ton.

In 2013 percent opinion content:

MSNBC: 85%
Fox 55%
CNN: 45%

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... r-opinion/

By 2019 MSNBC was only 4% of people's main source for news.

My guess is CNN moved towards Fox and Fox lessened their opinion (it was the opinion shows that had the big advertiser loss) while MSNBC hurt themselves in a big shift towards opinion content

In other words, people want news, not opinion and the big problems don't come from the specific network, but by having too many opinion shows that people can't identify as such.
So.... you were wrong? People do apparently want opinion shows as they continue to score high in ratings. I can’t stand any of the opinion hosts personally. The 3 main networks still pull in a few billion a year from ad revenue. I think their biggest competitor is going to be the YouTube news types and podcasts. If I’m going to watch someone’s opinion, I’d like to watch someone who’s not employed by a massive news company. Joe Rogen for example. I enjoy he has no loyalties and can say what he wants.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

With Georgia possibly going for Biden and less likely but possibly Texas and North Carolina looking stronger Biden and South Carolina losing GOP momentum (whaaaat?), MO is looking more and more hardcore right wing extremist as polls go. If Trump loses in a landslide and Biden gets the larger Southern states, MO could end up as one of the few largest states with 2 major league metros going for Trump. That could become a perception problem for MO viewed as extremists long term. Too early to really discuss but crosses the mind.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:47 pm With Georgia possibly going for Biden and less likely but possibly Texas and North Carolina looking stronger Biden and South Carolina losing GOP momentum (whaaaat?), MO is looking more and more hardcore right wing extremist as polls go. If Trump loses in a landslide and Biden gets the larger Southern states, MO could end up as one of the few largest states with 2 major league metros going for Trump. That could become a perception problem for MO viewed as extremists long term. Too early to really discuss but crosses the mind.
It's not a given KC goes for Trump.

Multiple state house seats were all very close in the primaries (looking at party voter totals) with seven in the suburbs that could go either way depending on turnout
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Wasn't suggesting KC will or won't, but if there's a landslide and MO is largest state that goes for Trump, could become a perception problem for MO long term. MO is apparently polling stronger Trump (many polls aggregated) than even Texas and South Carolina. I doubt TX will not go Trump but seems more likely than MO going for Trump at this point. And realize polls aren't everything, what matters is who shows up to vote.
Last edited by earthling on Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

I follow multiple polling sites/political strategists and at this point the states of MO & KS will most likely go for the Orange Man. That being said, the metro counties/cities in each state, especially KC & STL will vote blue. Presuming Biden wins (please!) our House Representatives will be our bridge to the new administration when seeking support for local initiatives, funding, etc. Also keep in mind that KS has a moderate Democratic governor with strong connections to the Biden camp. And we just might have a Democratic senator elected in KS!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Agree KC and STL will vote blue but not sure I understand the negative perception of being a red state? The beauty of this country is there are 50 states of varies different political leanings. Money/corporations sure don’t shy away from red states. Texas is kicking ass for example.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

The perception of being a red state isn't the problem. Red states have values. The problem is being perceived as a gullible bunch of dupes who fall for the cult leader's pussy-grabbing, value-free bullshit.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If Trump loses, the fact that Missouri or Kansas voted for him will be forgotten within a few months. It won't have any real effect on business, or lingering perceptions of the states.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

mean wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:17 pm The perception of being a red state isn't the problem. Red states have values. The problem is being perceived as a gullible bunch of dupes who fall for the cult leader's pussy-grabbing, value-free bullshit.
Interesting. Still hung up on the fact he said he “could” grab a pussy but never has been proven to just randomly grab pussies. You ever play sports? I can’t Believe comments like that are new information to some people.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

FangKC wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:04 pm If Trump loses, the fact that Missouri or Kansas voted for him will be forgotten within a few months. It won't have any real effect on business, or lingering perceptions of the states.
If there are other larger states that go for Trump with no landslide that will probably be the case. But if TX goes blue (probably won't but if it did) as well as pretty good chance of GA, NC, FL and most Great Lake states, the largest red states might be IN, TN and MO. That could turn into a perception problem at least until next round of elections if GOP can clean up its enabling of conservative extremism and various forms of supremacy. Might also prompt waves of hard right conservatives moving from new blue states toward red states.

But of course, Trump has a shot to win. He's building back momentum in FL...
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -6841.html
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Being disconnected from American society as a whole being abroad basically the entire presidency, how is the climate of the states in regard to vocal support for or against the President? Are people actively berated for being one side or the other? Does this happen often in public? The first question I’m ALWAYS asked when traveling once people find out I’m American is “what do you think of Trump?”. It’s an issue that I know will only escalate regardless of answer, so I usually respond with “I’m not for or against as I’m not heavily involved in politics”, but I haven’t experienced anything in the states.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Bigger issue for Missouri is electing people like Grietens and Hawley.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

earthling wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:47 pm With Georgia possibly going for Biden and less likely but possibly Texas and North Carolina looking stronger Biden and South Carolina losing GOP momentum (whaaaat?), MO is looking more and more hardcore right wing extremist as polls go. If Trump loses in a landslide and Biden gets the larger Southern states, MO could end up as one of the few largest states with 2 major league metros going for Trump. That could become a perception problem for MO viewed as extremists long term. Too early to really discuss but crosses the mind.
Considering that there's currently a pile of left wing extremists camping on the lawn at city hall, and chaining themselves to the Jackson County Courthouse doors (Forcing its closure) I DON'T think you have to be worried about an "Image" problem for KC because of "Trump" supporters...

It's completely ignorant to say so.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

That hardly represents the state, perhaps ignorant to think it does. We'll see how it turns out if a landslide and MO not with the significant majority. Is plausible that frustrated lefties will leave the state and frustrated hard righties in new blue states move to MO and remaining red states. Harder core ideology types often make that a factor if moving, maybe not most but a notable many is plausible.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

im2kull wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:55 amConsidering that there's currently a pile of left wing extremists camping on the lawn at city hall, and chaining themselves to the Jackson County Courthouse doors (Forcing its closure)
Oh no, not the courthouse! Won’t someone think of the courthouse!?
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

MO is already viewed the way that you fear it will be
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:01 am Being disconnected from American society as a whole being abroad basically the entire presidency, how is the climate of the states in regard to vocal support for or against the President? Are people actively berated for being one side or the other? Does this happen often in public? The first question I’m ALWAYS asked when traveling once people find out I’m American is “what do you think of Trump?”. It’s an issue that I know will only escalate regardless of answer, so I usually respond with “I’m not for or against as I’m not heavily involved in politics”, but I haven’t experienced anything in the states.
Trump has ENORMOUS amounts of public support. Flags flying everywhere, signs posted everywhere, people talking about him everywhere. Car parades (Thousands of cars at a time.. not just a few) happening in city cores, boat parades (Thousands of boats at a time) happening everywhere (Even in California), people standing in huge lines for days just to see him at a free rally event, people flocking airports to see him fly in, and on and on. There is a level of visible support that has never before been seen for a sitting president in American history. Across the nation. To say otherwise is a complete lie.

Bidens support on the other hand is limited to a handful of yard signs, a few callous highway ads, lots of TV ads, and a TON of "Trump Hate" online and in real life (angry "protests" by 25-100 people with them wrecking havoc, Trump signs being torn down, homes and vehicles being defaced and vandalized, trump supporters being harassed and fought, etc, etc).

What's interesting is that I have no doubt that there's a large amount of "Silent" support for trump (That stays silent for fear of retaliation from the extreme left) but I have not seen anything indicating silent support for Biden. Nearly all the Biden support seems to come from those who either have signs in their yard or are on the extremely vocal (This thread is a great example), or violent spectrum. There doesn't seem to be any silent support for Biden at all.

I'm sure some extreme leftist is about to come along and try to dispute my comments, so before all that noise happens there's the following to note:
1. I voted for Bernie. I am a Democrat. I travel the country & beyond regularly. I'm just not so out of touch with reality to act an ignorant idiot.
2. When was the last time you saw BOAT PARADES happening for a sitting president? Numbering in the thousands and across all states nonetheless?
3. When was the last time you saw CAR PARADES happening for a sitting president?
4. When was the last time you saw PUBLIC SPEECHES (IE: In person fireside chats) given by a sitting president, throughout his presidency, to consistently over capacity crowds numbering in the tens of thousands at professional sport and event venues throughout the United States?

None of these occurred prior to the Trump presidency. Not a single one.
I don't think people understand the significance of that.

I want to say that this election won't go for Trump, but in reality I think all actual indications are that it will be another landslide win for him (Yes, his 300+ electoral votes is considered a landslide to Hillarys 232. 300+ has always been considered the irrefutable landslide mark.).

DColeKC wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:04 pm
mean wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:17 pm The perception of being a red state isn't the problem. Red states have values. The problem is being perceived as a gullible bunch of dupes who fall for the cult leader's pussy-grabbing, value-free bullshit.
Interesting. Still hung up on the fact he said he “could” grab a pussy but never has been proven to just randomly grab pussies. You ever play sports? I can’t Believe comments like that are new information to some people.
Ditto. People who actually believe that he was being literal or have "Grabbed" pussies are completely out of touch with the realities of "How men talk" (Especially young ones) and are either living under a massive rock, or are just THAT stupid. Please, stop.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:17 am
im2kull wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:55 amConsidering that there's currently a pile of left wing extremists camping on the lawn at city hall, and chaining themselves to the Jackson County Courthouse doors (Forcing its closure)
Oh no, not the courthouse! Won’t someone think of the courthouse!?
Allowing lawlessness is NOT especially conductive to courting businesses.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

phuqueue wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:18 am MO is already viewed the way that you fear it will be
Yes, I spend more time outside MO than in now and see it (mostly living in FL/NYC/LA now, though still based out of KC and voting there). If MO is one of largest remaining red states, could draw more right ideology purists frustrated from new blue states and lose more locals on hard left. Not saying it will happen but plausible. Less likely to happen if many other large states go Trump and not a landslide.