OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: We are getting a new airport!!!

Post by GRID »

bummer. well I will see it first hand tomorrow.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Updates on UPS

"completed plans call for the construction of a 50,756-square-foot warehouse / distribution facility; and for site work for a 16-acre warehouse / distribution facility.

The scope of work includes, but is not limited to, the following: site development of approximately 16 acres that includes storm water structures, retention and detention ponds; employee parking; heavy-duty asphalt paving; concrete staging pads; and a conventional steel building. Remote structures on the site include above ground de-icing storage tanks with dispensing systems. All mechanical and electrical requirements, as specified in the Project Manual and drawings, are included in this project. "
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

normalthings wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:14 am Updates on UPS

"completed plans call for the construction of a 50,756-square-foot warehouse / distribution facility; and for site work for a 16-acre warehouse / distribution facility.

The scope of work includes, but is not limited to, the following: site development of approximately 16 acres that includes storm water structures, retention and detention ponds; employee parking; heavy-duty asphalt paving; concrete staging pads; and a conventional steel building. Remote structures on the site include above ground de-icing storage tanks with dispensing systems. All mechanical and electrical requirements, as specified in the Project Manual and drawings, are included in this project. "
So would this lead to KC becoming a distribution center for UPS and some of the bigger benefits like basing highly paid air crews in KC?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Highlander wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:04 pm
normalthings wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:14 am Updates on UPS

So would this lead to KC becoming a distribution center for UPS and some of the bigger benefits like basing highly paid air crews in KC?
I think 16 acres refers to the entire site (including apron space, buildings, retention pond, etc). From the wording, it sounds like they could be building to accommodate future structures? I wouldn't expect anything that hasn't already been announced.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

Build KCI posted a short video showing the current construction stage of the concourse connector and a rendering of what it will look like once completed.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

It feels like design should be done with. Or why are they waisting money on a 16 second shitty video?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:36 pm It feels like design should be done with. Or why are they waisting money on a 16 second shitty video?
What?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The lack of pretty pictures of this project is starting to upset me
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:53 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:36 pm It feels like design should be done with. Or why are they waisting money on a 16 second shitty video?
What?
Just feels like they should be nearing design completion. And the video didn't show much!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Any chance the dispute over a cement contract, as reported by the Star, is going to slow or halt terminal construction at KCI? Or is that just the Star being the Star and trying to dredge up controversy where there isn't any?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Highlander wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:45 pm Any chance the dispute over a cement contract, as reported by the Star, is going to slow or halt terminal construction at KCI? Or is that just the Star being the Star and trying to dredge up controversy where there isn't any?
IIRC, airfield paving is one of the last things to go in.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Calls for Artists now open for the largest public art project in Kansas City history

https://mailchi.mp/kcmo.org/calls-for-a ... fe669466f6
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

~$500 million in bonds are being sold now to pay for the rest of the new terminal

In this issuance, KCAD refinanced their existing debt and borrowed $30 million for a new $60 million runway project.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

New update video posted to BuildKCI’s YouTube. With glass panel installation beginning, I imagine it shouldn’t be too terribly long before interior work will also begin. I’m really enjoying seeing the progress, although I did notice from one of the angles in the video the shot made the ceiling of the terminal seem fairly low. I hope it isn’t actually that low once complete, as airports I’ve been too with low ceilings always made me feel cramped and claustrophobic (old LaGuardia, Sacramento terminal A) link below

https://youtu.be/6RLa3WtWjP4
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Well the exterior appears to be the exact same boring cheap precast concrete design and color that is ubiquitous across KC buildings. Very disappointing.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:58 am Well the exterior appears to be the exact same boring cheap precast concrete design and color that is ubiquitous across KC buildings. Very disappointing.
From the renderings I have seen, I think it’s either supposed to be painted or have some type of metal paneling
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Ceiling heights shouldn’t really be an issue, per the plans submitted with the city. They won’t be cathedral like, but definitely better than old LaGuardia. I think it’ll be comparable to Midway or Love Field. Which makes sense given Southwest is the largest user.

Base on rough dimension pulls from the approved docs:

- Check in hall will be over 30ft
-most corridors should be in the 20ish range
- retail nodes between 25ish to 34ft
- Security, the connector between A & B gates, and bag claim, should be around 16ft
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:57 am
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:58 am Well the exterior appears to be the exact same boring cheap precast concrete design and color that is ubiquitous across KC buildings. Very disappointing.
From the renderings I have seen, I think it’s either supposed to be painted or have some type of metal paneling
I wouldn’t hold your breath. The type of panel that’s been installed is typically a complete product.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

horizons82 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:05 am Ceiling heights shouldn’t really be an issue, per the plans submitted with the city. They won’t be cathedral like, but definitely better than old LaGuardia. I think it’ll be comparable to Midway or Love Field. Which makes sense given Southwest is the largest user.
I fly in and out of Midway at least 4 times year and really don't mind it. The ceiling height is pretty good.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

horizons82 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:05 am Ceiling heights shouldn’t really be an issue, per the plans submitted with the city. They won’t be cathedral like, but definitely better than old LaGuardia. I think it’ll be comparable to Midway or Love Field. Which makes sense given Southwest is the largest user.

Base on rough dimension pulls from the approved docs:

- Check in hall will be over 30ft
-most corridors should be in the 20ish range
- retail nodes between 25ish to 34ft
- Security, the connector between A & B gates, and bag claim, should be around 16ft
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:57 am
I wouldn’t hold your breath. The type of panel that’s been installed is typically a complete product.
Got a link to those approved plans?