Politics

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Politics

Post by mean »

I agree to the extent that such a sentiment is not used to justify holding massive superspreader events like it's no big deal.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

mean wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:20 am I agree to the extent that such a sentiment is not used to justify holding massive superspreader events like it's no big deal.
Absolutely. People need to accept that until we have vaccines or better more reliable treatments, things will be significantly more limited.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

If none of those infected in his circles (over 2 dozen) become seriously ill, he and his base will use that as a case to their point that COVID is overblown even though people at that level get the best treatments available. And treatments/procedures are improving. Not exactly healthy Chris Christie with history of asthma will test this.

And even if Trump loses election, he'll likely continue to be a loud mouth agitator empowering his base, including white supremacists, 'USA!' supremacists and Christian supremacists. Undoing much of his damage may not be possible long term unless there is enough of a corruption case to imprison him. He'll otherwise probably get back to reality TV to keep his face (and Trump Brand TM) out there. If mainstream networks won't take him, OAN and others will be happy to.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

earthling wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:01 pm If none of those infected in his circles (over 2 dozen) become seriously ill, he and his base will use that as a case to their point that COVID is overblown even though people at that level get the best treatments available. And treatments/procedures are improving. Not exactly healthy Chris Christie with history of asthma will test this.

And even if Trump loses election, he'll likely continue to be a loud mouth agitator empowering his base, including white supremacists, 'USA!' supremacists and Christian supremacists. Undoing much of his damage may not be possible long term unless there is enough of a corruption case to imprison him. He'll otherwise probably get back to reality TV to keep his face (and Trump Brand TM) out there. If mainstream networks won't take him, OAN and others will be happy to.
Even mainstream networks who vehemently oppose him will keep him around if he loses. For or against, controversy brings clicks which brings ad revenue. This is why mainstream media is garbage
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Given that the Church of Trump will probably continue to be in the 10's of millions for many years, probably so.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

earthling wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:01 pm If none of those infected in his circles (over 2 dozen) become seriously ill, he and his base will use that as a case to their point that COVID is overblown even though people at that level get the best treatments available. And treatments/procedures are improving. Not exactly healthy Chris Christie with history of asthma will test this.

I was a little surprised over how quickly Trump got over CV19 (if he is truly over it; I would not be surprised also if landed back in the hospital). He's definitely a CV19 high risk individual.

I don't think Trump will become an agitator along ideological grounds. He has no particular ideology to foment; he simply is a guy who loves power and that's why he wants to be president. If the democratic party was the easier route to the presidency, he would have gone that route.

That said, more than ideology, he is far more motivated to get back at anyone who has opposed or criticized him in the past so I could see him potentially launching into tirades against Biden/Harris if they win or even members of his former administration and that would probably fit in well with the objectives of OAN and other right wing "news" agencies.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Generally agree he is not an ideology type himself but there's a base of a few ideologies he's pandered to and empowered and if they continue to feed his ego, he'll continue to try to empower them... at least until he finds a larger base who feeds his ego even more. Also seems likely if he loses election, FOXN will probably rarely pay attention to him and focus on conservative(s) with power and pump viewers up on a few for next election.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:32 pmThis is why mainstream media is garbage
Yeah, Fox News sucks
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:14 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:32 pmThis is why mainstream media is garbage
Yeah, Fox News sucks
If you don’t consider CNN and MSNBC on par with or even worse than Fox News, I would question your reality.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:05 am
Yeah, Fox News sucks
If you don’t consider CNN and MSNBC on par with or even worse than Fox News, I would question your reality.
They are bad but not at the same level. Fox News viewers are less informed than people who view no news at all.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.busine ... 12-5%3famp
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Riverite wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:40 am

Yeah, Fox News sucks
They are bad but not at the same level. Fox News viewers are less informed than people who view no news at all.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.busine ... 12-5%3famp
That study was 8 years ago and as ratings have went up, along with a more day to day interest in politics, I’d like to see that study updated. People assume old whites people are who watch Fox, but MSNBC actually pulls in more older white folks than Fox News.

https://pos.org/whos-watching-a-look-at ... -watchers/
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Yeah, Fox News sucks
If you don’t consider Fox News on par with or worse than CNN and MSNBC, I would question your reality.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

538 on Biden's higher chances to win. Trump needs Florida to have a chance, which has been trending lately towards Biden. Seems to be Biden's to lose but it of course depends on who actually shows up to vote in battleground states.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/20 ... -forecast/

Florida trends...
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -6841.html
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Sounds like there were around 153 million registered voters in 2018 and 5.6 million have already voted, for around 3.5% turnout already

This claims Florida is #1 in early voters, looking to be about 10% of those registered in the state already having voted
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 623292001/
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:22 am

Yeah, Fox News sucks
If you don’t consider Fox News on par with or worse than CNN and MSNBC, I would question your reality.
I consider all three equally as bad. You simply claimed Fox News sucks when referring to mainstream media.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

earthling wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:24 am 538 on Biden's higher chances to win. Trump needs Florida to have a chance, which has been trending lately towards Biden. Seems to be Biden's to lose but it of course depends on who actually shows up to vote in battleground states.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/20 ... -forecast/

Florida trends...
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -6841.html
The polls in 2016 looked almost identical with Clinton leading at this stage. Hard to predict what's going to happen besides it's going be close and the surge in mail-in voting will for sure be a big wrinkle.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Yeah, Fox News sucks
There was an April 2020 lawsuit where the Fox News ownership said they had the right to give opinions on the air

In 2006 68% of their content contained personal opinion

Their actual news content is decent and well researched but their biggest shows aren't news shows, they're political opinion where the content can be lies by design and they would say they have the right to say whatever they want because it's opinion.

MSNBC isn't great, in 2006 27% of content contained opinions. It's basically Fox News for left leaning content but at a smaller level.

CNN was 4% opinion content the same year.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:02 am The polls in 2016 looked almost identical with Clinton leading at this stage. Hard to predict what's going to happen besides it's going be close and the surge in mail-in voting will for sure be a big wrinkle.
wow, that's so wrong that it's sad how you're just making things up

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/20 ... nal-polls/

5 points up on Oct 8

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/po ... /national/
9.8 points up today

Biden has twice the lead as Clinton did two years ago.

The last time Biden was just 5 points up was May
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

flyingember wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:08 am

Yeah, Fox News sucks
There was an April 2020 lawsuit where the Fox News ownership said they had the right to give opinions on the air

In 2006 68% of their content contained personal opinion

Their actual news content is decent and well researched but their biggest shows aren't news shows, they're political opinion where the content can be lies by design and they would say they have the right to say whatever they want because it's opinion.

MSNBC isn't great, in 2006 27% of content contained opinions. It's basically Fox News for left leaning content but at a smaller level.

CNN was 4% opinion content the same year.
They all have idiotic opinion hosts who drive me insane. Hannity, Cuomo, Maddow etc. They all also have a few great journalists who keep it level headed. CNN has spent a ton of money for getting things wrong where as Fox has spent a ton of money for sexual harassment. They all suck balls.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

flyingember wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:12 am
DColeKC wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:02 am The polls in 2016 looked almost identical with Clinton leading at this stage. Hard to predict what's going to happen besides it's going be close and the surge in mail-in voting will for sure be a big wrinkle.
wow, that's so wrong that it's sad how you're just making things up

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/20 ... nal-polls/

5 points up on Oct 8

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/po ... /national/
9.8 points up today

Biden has twice the lead as Clinton did two years ago.

The last time Biden was just 5 points up was May
No, I'm not making things up. I was referring to an article I read earlier this week, but it was only referencing a few polls to compare. This is the first I'm seeing the information you shared. I wasn't making things up and nothings sad, after seeing this new information (to me) I was wrong.