KC in TV and Movies

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: KC in TV and Movies

Post by alejandro46 »

Not TV or Movie - Worth a listen to Matt Staub, Chair of Parking and Transportation Commission in Kansas City and member of the Street Car Authority Board on a local podcast. Skip to about halfway to hear Matt's discussion. Mostly hosts inquire about suburban type issues (potholes, traffic, etc.) but some interesting topics.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/e ... 0490423878
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Matt's a good egg. Used to be a regular here, but don't see him around as much anymore.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I finally got around to watching the new Fargo Season 4 trailer (set in 1950s KC) after seeing it mentioned again on Reddit. I saved a couple of screenshots that gave me chills. (You can right-click either image to see them full-size.)

Note: I tweaked the first image a little in Photoshop as the version in the trailer is pretty dark,

On the second image, far right, it looks like they forgot to erase a Bartle Hall Sky Station.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Some creative geography. The modern image of oak tower is killing me
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:19 am Some creative geography. The modern image of oak tower is killing me
Yeah, I noticed that too.

Somebody posted a comparison to a real photo of the 1950s skyline. Apart from minor details, most of the larger buildings at least are reasonably close. Now, replacing everything north of the Lewis & Clark Viaduct with a frozen body of water is another matter, unless it's set specifically in 1951! (Photo below is a repost of a repost.)

Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

The P&L building got enhanced, too.

Unrelated, and I don't know the context, but the header image in this article has someone from "Better Call Saul" wearing a Royals shirt: https://www.npr.org/2020/09/18/91419591 ... the-deggys
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Eon Blue wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:33 pm The P&L building got enhanced, too.

Unrelated, and I don't know the context, but the header image in this article has someone from "Better Call Saul" wearing a Royals shirt: https://www.npr.org/2020/09/18/91419591 ... the-deggys
Kim Wexler, Saul's girlfriend, is from a small town on the Kansas Nebraska border.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Fargo getting rave reviews. Opens with multiracial girl giving history of KC immigrant organized crime.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Reminder that the Fargo series based in Kansas City starts tonight on FX.

Rolling Stone review:

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-revi ... w-1057189/
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I was disappointed. Story development was too slow. Other than set in KC (but filmed in Chicago), not much reference to anything in the city but it was interesting to hear the mafia members talking about how they are disparaged by people in Leawood and Mission Hills. Leawood was incorporated in 1948 so I guess it was around back then.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

A lot of these stories can be slow at the start then get really good. I would give it time. The new Perry Mason on HBO was slow at first but got a lot better. Breaking Bad first season kind of sucked but the rest was amazing
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:22 pm A lot of these stories can be slow at the start then get really good. I would give it time. The new Perry Mason on HBO was slow at first but got a lot better. Breaking Bad first season kind of sucked but the rest was amazing
First episode was good. I'll just let the season play out and then binge-watch them together.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Will give it a chance but it so far lacks the Cohen Bros low dialogue mystique, intrigue and quirkiness. Too much chit chat but hopefully it will kick into Cohenesque gear soon. Signs of it with the nurse character. Also think that Jason Schwartzman was miscast, maybe even Chris Rock. I see the actors, not the characters. Not really buying into them as their roles, but will give it a chance.

BTW, there were no Jewish gangs in early KC history, that was a Minneapolis thing. Read that the season is loosely bounced off Midwest history, not just KC.
benjaminkelley
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by benjaminkelley »

Not TV or Movies, but music video... Last night I discovered that Ministry's video for Just One Fix was filmed on the 1900 Block of Main. I don't think I've ever heard this discussed along with the couple of other music videos filmed here.
You can see Hotel Monroe, The Rieger(Dixie Belle at the time or the place before it?) and Hotel Midwest, as well as the empty lot that is now 1914 Main.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYYGKCanqfA
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Very cool, I'm assuming they came to the area to see Burroughs.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Ah the days of Wax Trax/Sire records.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Not sure where else to put this, but I found it interesting. KC was mentioned in this urban planning video and I don't think I have ever seen the aerial pic they show. It's really amazing how much of KCMO's urban core has been obliterated.

https://youtu.be/-ZDZtBRTyeI?t=177
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Someone put The Day After on Youtube.

https://youtu.be/Iyy9n8r16hs
Elrod
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Elrod »

grovester wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:30 am Very cool, I'm assuming they came to the area to see Burroughs.
Speaking of whom, there's also this U2 effort that was filmed in Kansas City. Burroughs appears at the very end.

https://youtu.be/FWhaGa-2Hq0
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

HGTV has a new show called “Bizarre Builds”. The network says they’re from Missouri but lots of KC stock shots and cameos from things like KCMO trash cans.