Next Mayor 2019

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:31 am Recall petition for Lucas is out. 10,000 signatures are required at which point he has five days to step down. The group has 9,000+ followers already and an established schedule of where they will be. Imho this group is pursuing it for all the wrong reasons but the result I am not against.

https://fox4kc.com/news/petitioners-fil ... om-office/
I saw them this weekend. They were in an inconvenient spot of a shopping center with too small of a sign.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Not surprising but, the Facebook group for recalling Mayor Lucas continues to be a cesspool of racism and white grievance politics. The Pitch has a decent write up:

https://www.thepitchkc.com/online-campa ... -theories/
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

horizons82 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:08 pm Not surprising but, the Facebook group for recalling Mayor Lucas continues to be a cesspool of racism and white grievance politics. The Pitch has a decent write up:

I haven't looked at the FB group and I have no doubt it's filled with racism. I do have a hard time taking anything The Pitch publishes seriously. I feel they're KC's version of Huffpost or Mother Jones.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:39 am
horizons82 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:08 pm Not surprising but, the Facebook group for recalling Mayor Lucas continues to be a cesspool of racism and white grievance politics. The Pitch has a decent write up:

I haven't looked at the FB group and I have no doubt it's filled with racism. I do have a hard time taking anything The Pitch publishes seriously. I feel they're KC's version of Huffpost or Mother Jones.
There are posts claiming Lucas is being funded by Soros/Gates
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

If you haven't taken anything Mother Jones has published seriously, then I don't really care what you think, TBH.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:39 am I haven't looked at the FB group and I have no doubt it's filled with racism. I do have a hard time taking anything The Pitch publishes seriously. I feel they're KC's version of Huffpost or Mother Jones.
It’s an alt weekly (or used to be before it went web based) I don’t think anybody’s under any illusions of their editorial perspective. I don’t go to the Biz Journal expecting them to critically analyze capitalism or corporation’s flaws.

That said, they shared screenshots of real posts and links to the actual group. Not much editorializing was or had to be done on this one.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WSPanic wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:34 am

If you haven't taken anything Mother Jones has published seriously, then I don't really care what you think, TBH.
I try to stay away from anything that's openly far sided in their bias. Not saying biased media is incapable of putting out the occasional good story, but I think it's important to know where they stand.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:15 pm

I try to stay away from anything that's openly far sided in their bias. Not saying biased media is incapable of putting out the occasional good story, but I think it's important to know where they stand.
Well, I guess you stay away from Fox News then
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

TrolliKC wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:07 pm

That was obviously his implication, as he said “anything that’s openly far sided in their bias”. Don’t understand why there is obvious direct hostility towards someone simply because they don’t trust a biased news source to run frequent non-biased stories.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:14 pm
TrolliKC wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:07 pm

That was obviously his implication, as he said “anything that’s openly far sided in their bias”. Don’t understand why there is obvious direct hostility towards someone simply because they don’t trust a biased news source to run frequent non-biased stories.
True. NPR, AP, The Hill are a few I follow but have written off any of the major news networks, especially CNN and Fox. They're just like Mother Jones, they're capable of good and fair journalism, but too many opinion shows discredit the real journalists integrity.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

according to @kcmikemahoney, bunch, o'neill, and robinson are boycotting today's T+I meeting until lucas removes loar from the committee chair post.

i never understood why loar was the chair of that even before she came out as anti-pedestrian and racist. now i extra don't understand it.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

wahoowa wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:02 am according to @kcmikemahoney, bunch, o'neill, and robinson are boycotting today's T+I meeting until lucas removes loar from the committee chair post.

i never understood why loar was the chair of that even before she came out as anti-pedestrian and racist. now i extra don't understand it.
She's the chair because she signed onto the Quinton train early and wanted to control the airport decisionmaking.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

smh wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:55 am
wahoowa wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:02 am according to @kcmikemahoney, bunch, o'neill, and robinson are boycotting today's T+I meeting until lucas removes loar from the committee chair post.

She's the chair because she signed onto the Quinton train early and wanted to control the airport decisionmaking.
IIRC, Shields was very upset when Loar got it. At the time, I was ambivalent but Shields seems to have turned around some this year.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Played the airport card just today as the martyr that was keeping some horrible contracts from being signed.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:40 pm

Played the airport card just today as the martyr that was keeping some horrible contracts from being signed.
Classic!
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Wasn’t she the one who made incredibly callous comments when a bicyclist was killed last year?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

horizons82 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:27 pm Wasn’t she the one who made incredibly callous comments when a bicyclist was killed last year?
Yup.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

She was worthless before now add in her latest she has no business on council.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

horizons82 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:27 pm Wasn’t she the one who made incredibly callous comments when a bicyclist was killed last year?
This is the quote you're thinking of:

"...Unfortunately people die in this city every day and we just have to make sure that we’re keeping everything in perspective."
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

chaglang wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:09 pm
This is the quote you're thinking of:

"...Unfortunately people die in this city every day and we just have to make sure that we’re keeping everything in perspective."
Facts are facts. Hard to argue with them.