COVID-19 Casualties

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: COVID-19 Casualties

Post by taxi »

KC Pinoy
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

taxi wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:38 amKC Pinoy
That place always had weird hours, i wanted to go several times pre covid but were never open
snigglefritz
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by snigglefritz »

taxi wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:38 amKC Pinoy
Such a bummer. It's getting harder to find a place that does really good Bao buns without being crazy overpriced.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:10 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:47 pm Clubhouse Experience (although not sure how much COVID19 impacted them)
Bummer. That outdoor space never caught on. At least they built out a full kitchen so filling the space should be easier.
That outdoor space probably could have saved them from covid if it were done better. But the way it was set up made it feel too disconnected. That's more the fault of the original architect of the building than the business itself, as the bar space is sunken at a lower level than the courtyard, with indirect access to the outside. What's needed is a sliding or garage style entrance that can be fully opened right where where that landscaping or that sofa is, in order to integrate the bar area with the courtyard. The existing entrances are completely isolated from the bar.

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Doesn't appear that Charisse is open. Their last social post is early August, no reservations on Tock, and the phone number doesn't ring through.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

i think i saw a charisse social media post that said they were going to press pause and reserve capital for a real reopening when things got closer to normal. my walking around impression of their business is that it's heavily reliant on business lunch traffic so it makes sense that they called it off for now because that's just not happening.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yup I remember seeing that. Hopefully they can make it back. Need the bankers back in the office to float them at lunch.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Glace, may be as much about lease renewal, but will be missed.

Their Mission Rd. location will remain open.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

my favorite ice cream in KC and it wasn't even close.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Corner Restaurant
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:46 am Corner Restaurant
Really liked that place, I think increased competition would have done them in the long haul. Big Biscuit and Snooze are always packed. That is 2 vacant properties now at Westport/Broadway, it would be nice if Westport Cafe moved into the corner spot or something
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:07 pm
Really liked that place, I think increased competition would have done them in the long haul. Big Biscuit and Snooze are always packed. That is 2 vacant properties now at Westport/Broadway, it would be nice if Westport Cafe moved into the corner spot or something
Yeah it's hard on some of these closings how much COVID really did them in versus other problems (lease, building, competition). Sounds like the same for Glace
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:24 pm
Yeah it's hard on some of these closings how much COVID really did them in versus other problems (lease, building, competition). Sounds like the same for Glace
Think through two years

In 2019 if their lease went up they're still filling seats. Same if there's new competition.
They're bringing in revenue no matter the outside pressures and might be able to change to survive

Move forward to 2020. Covid was the trigger of underlying problems in their business model. They're not bringing in income suddenly due to no sit down customers, no catering, no events at the entertainment venue. Do they already have a online ordering option for pickup? Will people use it so they can employ some chefs?

That's the fundamental difference, having customers or not leads to different challenges.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:24 pm
Went to Corner Cafe at Christmas. Packed. Excellent food. I hate to see that place go. That said, the Star article indicates that the building had some major issues that were not discovered until the CV19 shutdown so this closure is only indirectly due to CV19.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Highlander wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:23 pm That said, the Star article indicates that the building had some major issues that were not discovered until the CV19 shutdown so this closure is only indirectly due to CV19.
Rats. Like, for real, rats.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Highlander wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:23 pm I hate to see that place go. That said, the Star article indicates that the building had some major issues that were not discovered until the CV19 shutdown so this closure is only indirectly due to CV19.
Co-morbidity!
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

wahoowa wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:28 pm i think i saw a charisse social media post that said they were going to press pause and reserve capital for a real reopening when things got closer to normal. my walking around impression of their business is that it's heavily reliant on business lunch traffic so it makes sense that they called it off for now because that's just not happening.
Charisse was my favorite lunchtime watering hole downtown. They did charge coastal prices, but the wines by the glass were always solid, French bottles, and the food was freshly made. It's surprising how many other "fine dining" spots use frozen or canned food in the prep.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

The Rieger
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Rieger closing, at least temporarily.