OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Transportation topics in KC
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: New Broadway Bridge

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:01 pm Also, here's the west alternative, for comparison.

After further review, It looks to me as though central alignment will actually take out more buildings than the west one.

Is there any talk of BNSF build a rail bridge? I would think that this would be a great opportunity for them to improve their situation. It always seems like trains have to travel slowly over the current bridge
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:42 am
Is there any talk of BNSF build a rail bridge? I would think that this would be a great opportunity for them to improve their situation. It always seems like trains have to travel slowly over the current bridge
Travel between two rail yards should be slow. It's not like the trains are all immediately leaving town.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:42 am

After further review, It looks to me as though central alignment will actually take out more buildings than the west one.
page 4-50 of the state document
https://www.modot.org/sites/default/fil ... 0FEB21.pdf

It's the option with the most taken

West:
Lee Matthews Fluid & Co.
Cogent Fluids/Lee Matthews
Offices and Escape Room

Adjacent:
Boxes & More
Lee Matthews Fluid & Co.
The Barbette
Midwest Technology Corp (MTC)
Unknown light industrial (300 Broadway Blvd.)

Central:
Boxes & More
Lee Matthews Fluid & Co.
Midwest Technology Corp (MTC)
Cogent Fluids/Lee Matthews
Offices and Escape Room
Unknown light industrial (300 Broadway Blvd.)
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

moderne wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:28 pm I don't know if I am looking at it correctly, but it looks like northbound 35 at the NW corner of the bluffs has the right lane as the through lane and the 6th St/Broadway exit on the left?

If I'm looking at it right then technically that left lane is still the thru-lane, since in addition to the 6th-street exit it also has the lane that continues on as I-35.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

You are correct. I was only seeing it as the 6th St exit. I wonder what the traffic count is comparing traffic coming around that bend going to the river crossing or continuing onto 35 east.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

moderne wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:33 pm You are correct. I was only seeing it as the 6th St exit. I wonder what the traffic count is comparing traffic coming around that bend going to the river crossing or continuing onto 35 east.
https://www.modot.org/sites/default/fil ... 0FEB21.pdf

page 2-6
SB bridge traffic is 19,000 per day

page 2-8
56.4% go south on I-35 from it

2-6
NB over 169 is 28,600 per day
39.6% come from I-35 or I-670

https://www.modot.org/sites/default/fil ... c_KC_0.pdf
the north loop carries 62,000 daily
49800 on the west loop

So for I-35 NB on the west loop, In the ballpark of 11325 take 169 while 38475 go another route
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Cost-sharing ordinance was introduced. cost is $250 million

http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/LiveWeb/Docum ... ykdPNZBLV0
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

normalthings wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:17 am Cost-sharing ordinance was introduced. cost is $250 million

http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/LiveWeb/Docum ... ykdPNZBLV0
So the city just has to approve their funding then MODOT will handle the rest?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

4/8: Committee Substitue advanced with recommendation “Do Pass”
4/9: CS assigned to third read calendar
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Approved
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Shortlist to be announced next week. RFP to be released at the end of the month. KCMO has already made a lump sum payment for the project.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Don't know if this is new or not, but BizJournal says this is the preferred route of the bridge. Looks like it may require demolition of some structures.

Quote from the article...
The assessment also crystallized a preferred new bridge design, which calls for removal of the existing bridge, its south approach span and Broadway between Fourth and Fifth streets.

Under that design, the new bridge would be elevated over Woodswether Viaduct. Flyover spans elevated over Interstate 70 and Fifth Street would connect to I-35, while spans over 3rd Street and ramps on walls down to 5th Street would lead to an ultimate Broadway connection.

Compared to alternatives, the preferred design is expected to reduce regional travel times for commuters, reduce traffic volume on local streets and minimize conflict points at intersections. The design also is set to include a shared use path connection for bike and pedestrian access on Fifth Street.
Link: https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... -soon.html
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:27 pm Don't know if this is new or not, but BizJournal says this is the preferred route of the bridge. Looks like it may require demolition of some structures.
Read this thread, there's no "may" about it.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

This thing has sidewalks and a bike path right? I’d love to see a bike path and park around the green space outside the downtown airports levee
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yup!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Riverite wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:49 pm This thing has sidewalks and a bike path right? I’d love to see a bike path and park around the green space outside the downtown airports levee
If Broadway will be open during the duration of construction then the old bridge should be convertible into a pedestrian way.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:35 pm
Riverite wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:49 pm This thing has sidewalks and a bike path right? I’d love to see a bike path and park around the green space outside the downtown airports levee
If Broadway will be open during the duration of construction then the old bridge should be convertible into a pedestrian way.
From the environmental document:
All three build alternatives would include a dedicated and barrier-protected off-travelway bicycle/pedestrian facility along one side of the new crossing. Connectivity to existing walkways south of the river and to Richards Road north of the river would be provided off each bridge approach span. MoDOT will continue to coordinate the layout and location of the off-travelway bicycle/pedestrian facility with stakeholders through the Design- Build process.

South of the river, all build alternatives would cause temporary and permanent impacts to existing segments of the Riverfront Heritage Trail located along Beardsley Road and sections of 3rd and 4th Streets. Trail connectivity would be restored after completion of the project for all build alternatives. The Central and Adjacent Alternatives allow for continuity of the trail under the new bridge along a reconfigured 3rd Street to Beardsley Road. The West Alternative allows for continuity of the trail under the new bridge along a trail extension from 4th Street to Beardsley Road.

During construction, the trail will need to be temporarily closed in the vicinity of active work along Broadway, 3rd and 4th Streets and Beardsley Road. A possible trail detour during construction would travel from Wyandotte to 5th Street to Beardsley Road.

Impacts to the trail and planning for closures and detours will be coordinated by MoDOT with KCRT who manages the trail and associated trailheads. Because KCRT is a private, not-for-profit organization and not a public entity, the Riverfront Heritage Trail does not meet the definition of a resource that is provided protection under Section 4(f) of the DOT Act.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

flyingember wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:28 pm Read this thread, there's no "may" about it.
Apologies.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I never noticed until now that the project includes extending 3rd Street to connect to Beardsley. That's a huge improvement over the awkward jog currently required.