Politics

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Politics

Post by earthling »

^His stuttering shouldn't be an issue in any form, and not relevant with his pretty apparent progression toward dementia. Outside his haters, haven't seen anyone relate the two. Have had a few relatives/acquaintances with dementia, is pretty easy to spot progression signs for those who have been around it for decades.

Biden comes across as more of a team player than needing to feed a huge ego. And therefore (if he wins) wouldn't be surprising if he resigns early to not only allow first woman president but also give her 2-3 years at helm to increase chances of winning another term (for DEM party as well as team player). His apparent progression toward dementia might determine the timing, an excuse, or maybe he will be encouraged/pressed by those close to him. Is a a plausible scenario that wouldn't be surprising (not suggesting high chance). Depends on his actual diagnosis of state of mind over near future that probably only a few will really know.

Might be wise to cautiously allow KH 'live' campaign for him if she has pollster support (not the Palin loose cannon way). My guess is that many considering Biden had someone else in mind for VP and his poll numbers could go down for a few weeks until they come around to potentially 4 more years of the self-ordained King. If she gets immediate acceptance with battleground states, makes Biden campaign a bit easier.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I don't think his childhood stutter is any excuse for his current and obvious mental issues. It's not his fault, the man is older and it happens sadly. Trump seems sharp but has his own mental issues however not "cognitive" related.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:57 am Trump seems sharp
How
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:26 am
DColeKC wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:57 am Trump seems sharp
How
Meaning in a cognitive sense. His intelligence is debatable.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Is it though? It's a bit like debating whether water is wet, and then somehow getting dragged into an argument about how saturated with water something needs to be to be objectively classified as "wet" while also being distracted by whether something saturated with a non-water liquid would also classify as being wet. It's a joke, a sham, a complete illusion. Truth is irrelevant as long as you can get people fighting about what is true. It's so transparent that it would be funny if it wasn't working.
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

I don’t think mangling words, rambling into nonsensical unrelated topics and taking “executive time” till noon each day to watch Fox News and tweet about conspiracy theories shows much sharpness. His inability to grasp written intelligence reports and embrace of disproven conspiracy theories really throws into doubt his cognitive abilities and critical thinking skills. The revolving door and vast vacancies of nearly every appointed position in his first term has created a very unstable and unreliable government that the world (except Russia and a few other authoritarian governments) are reluctant to engage. I’ll take an older “happy warrior” that surrounds himself with competent, truthful public servants any day.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Major KC Fan wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:05 pm I don’t think mangling words, rambling into nonsensical unrelated topics and taking “executive time” till noon each day to watch Fox News and tweet about conspiracy theories shows much sharpness. His inability to grasp written intelligence reports and embrace of disproven conspiracy theories really throws into doubt his cognitive abilities and critical thinking skills. The revolving door and vast vacancies of nearly every appointed position in his first term has created a very unstable and unreliable government that the world (except Russia and a few other authoritarian governments) are reluctant to engage. I’ll take an older “happy warrior” that surrounds himself with competent, truthful public servants any day.
Going to be hard to respond without sounding like a Trump defender, but why not. So Trump is up and awake earlier than Obama was typically and takes his first meeting 1 hour after Obama did. Biggest difference between Obama's schedule and Trumps is the fact Trump is up early watching TV, Tweeting and talking on the phone where as Obama has a daily morning workout routine. Trump and Obama are both night owls often staying up until 1 or 2 in the morning. The last president to start early was Bush at 6:45am every damn day.

I don't think being a talker and rambling off topic is uncommon to politicians considering it's half of what they do. He didn't come from a government background where you spend hours with staffers reading and going over bills, reports etc. He's likely had a system for years and applies that to how he works in the the role. Just because he prefers to hear the intelligence briefing instead of reading it doesn't mean anything. I'm the type of learner that would prefer to hear it, take notes and follow up by reading it. That's how it will stick in my mind the best.

When you discus the revolving door or appointees, it's not exactly popular to work for this administration. Some took the role and quickly got out not because of the work environment, but because of the negativity involved by working there and the damage it can do to ones personal life and interests. This was exasperated by the constant negative coverage of Trump and attacks by opposition encouraging anti-trumpers to "cause a disturbance" anytime you see them in public.

I've not seen anything as obvious as Bidens normal conversations that indicate Trump has any cognitive issues. Does he talk too damn much? Say stupid shit? Tweet too much? Go off topic and make grand statements? Yes to all that, but he doesn't full on fall apart mid sentence. This is why the in-person debates are so critical this time around.

Side note: I feel the democrats opposition has set a very dangerous precedent. They made it scary to work for Trump invoking the boycott and cancel culture. If this becomes the norm, it will be hard for any president to find highly qualified people to take positions within the administration.

I'm not going all in on the Trojan Horse concept, but I bet it's been discussed in very high detail and the ideal plan would be for her to be POTUS within 2 years. Granted, Biden has only hurt his chances by selecting her.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Actually the phrase you're looking for is "Trump apologist".
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

grovester wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:05 pm Actually the phrase you're looking for is "Trump apologist".
Call it whatever you want. I understand that if anyone pushes back on any criticisms of Trump, they must surely be "insert name". I'm so sick of being insulted any time I try to simply clarify accusations made against him or play devils advocate that I think I'm going to vote for the guy. I think thousands of people are like me.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Listen to this. It's what he sounds like with a script.

Rose garden, July 14th, 2020.

https://youtu.be/rpIcP6VRtHI

A bit of the official White House transcript of the speech.
But the headlines are always testing. Now, the testing is a good thing, but at the same time, it’s — it’s fodder for the fake news to report cases. So we’re doing 40 million-plus, going to be very close to 45 million people. And when I turn on the news, I see, “cases, cases, cases.” They don’t talk about deaths being cut down to a level that — actually, “tenfold,” they use. I got that from one of the very respected media outlets — “Tenfold.” Cut tenfold. Yes, but they don’t talk about that; they talk about cases. And the cases are created because of the fact that we do tremendous testing. We have the best testing in the world.
But we have — we have an incredible Javits Center that we built with thousands of beds. I think it was 2,800, all ready to go. And they could have sent people there or they could have sent senior citizens there instead of sending them into the nursing homes. And after all of that work and getting it done, the Army Corps of Engineers — I mean, the job they did was incredible. They built it in a matter of days.

When it was all completed — FEMA, everybody was there — doctors. We ended up getting doctors. They said, “We can’t man it.” I said, “So we’ll man it and woman it.” And that’s what we did. We brought in doctors, nurses, everything. We’re all set. We said, “Where are the people?” They didn’t send the people. Very few people came in. They could have sent them into the Javits Center. They could have sent them to the hospital ship, which was virtually unused, but we were there.

By contrast, my administration acted very early to ban travel from China, from Europe, saving all of these lives. Incredible. And I want everyone to know, I want every citizen know that we’re using the full power of the federal government to fight the China virus and to keep our people safe.
And we had to close it down — because we did the right thing by doing that. As I said, we saved millions of lives. But China was saying, “This is incredible what’s going on.” China was, for the first time, respecting the United States. And now they want to do something that’s much different: Joe Biden.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:33 pm
grovester wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:05 pm Actually the phrase you're looking for is "Trump apologist".
Call it whatever you want. I understand that if anyone pushes back on any criticisms of Trump, they must surely be "insert name". I'm so sick of being insulted any time I try to simply clarify accusations made against him or play devils advocate that I think I'm going to vote for the guy. I think thousands of people are like me.
No serious person compares him to Barack Obama like you did, only apologists and sycophants.

And yes, there are thousands like you.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:47 pm Listen to this. It's what he sounds like with a script.

Rose garden, July 14th, 2020.

https://youtu.be/rpIcP6VRtHI

A bit of the official White House transcript of the speech.
But the headlines are always testing. Now, the testing is a good thing, but at the same time, it’s — it’s fodder for the fake news to report cases. So we’re doing 40 million-plus, going to be very close to 45 million people. And when I turn on the news, I see, “cases, cases, cases.” They don’t talk about deaths being cut down to a level that — actually, “tenfold,” they use. I got that from one of the very respected media outlets — “Tenfold.” Cut tenfold. Yes, but they don’t talk about that; they talk about cases. And the cases are created because of the fact that we do tremendous testing. We have the best testing in the world.
But we have — we have an incredible Javits Center that we built with thousands of beds. I think it was 2,800, all ready to go. And they could have sent people there or they could have sent senior citizens there instead of sending them into the nursing homes. And after all of that work and getting it done, the Army Corps of Engineers — I mean, the job they did was incredible. They built it in a matter of days.

When it was all completed — FEMA, everybody was there — doctors. We ended up getting doctors. They said, “We can’t man it.” I said, “So we’ll man it and woman it.” And that’s what we did. We brought in doctors, nurses, everything. We’re all set. We said, “Where are the people?” They didn’t send the people. Very few people came in. They could have sent them into the Javits Center. They could have sent them to the hospital ship, which was virtually unused, but we were there.

By contrast, my administration acted very early to ban travel from China, from Europe, saving all of these lives. Incredible. And I want everyone to know, I want every citizen know that we’re using the full power of the federal government to fight the China virus and to keep our people safe.
And we had to close it down — because we did the right thing by doing that. As I said, we saved millions of lives. But China was saying, “This is incredible what’s going on.” China was, for the first time, respecting the United States. And now they want to do something that’s much different: Joe Biden.
This is a good example. He's not reading verbatim from a script and that's half the problem! If he would have read the script, the speech would have been 5 minutes and done but he ad-libs and interjects. I'd love to see the actual script Vs the transcript to see what percentage was verbatim. Guessing like 10% if that. I could post a few examples of Biden just flat out fumbling and sounding sadly confused but you can look those up. It's not only his speech but his wild comments. Asking a reporter if "they are a junkie" and "do you do cocaine" when the reporter asked him about taking a cognitive test. Or the whole, "You ain't black" deal... yikes. Just doesn't seem nearly as sharp as he was even few years ago.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

grovester wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:51 pm
No serious person compares him to Barack Obama like you did, only apologists and sycophants.

Are you serious? Why are comparisons to a past president off limits? That's so childish. How do we know if what anyone does is good or bad if we don't look at the past? I'm not comparing them as men or even presidents, I'm comparing their schedules. It was made to sound like taking his first meeting at 11am is so insanely different from past presidents when it's not. You're right, there are hundreds of thousands like me who are so sick of smug people like you, we might vote for Trump even though we don't like the guy just to spite you and all the other people who so ignorantly lump anyone who doesn't jump on the Trump hate train as stupid, apologist, deplorable and whatever other words you want to use. You're no better than the toothless, confederate flag flying, racist white trash hillbilly who calls anyone who says anything negative about Trump a "snowflake".

Let's check on your cognition.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

DColeKC wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:00 pmThis is a good example. He's not reading verbatim from a script and that's half the problem! If he would have read the script, the speech would have been 5 minutes and done but he ad-libs and interjects. I'd love to see the actual script Vs the transcript to see what percentage was verbatim. Guessing like 10% if that. I could post a few examples of Biden just flat out fumbling and sounding sadly confused but you can look those up. It's not only his speech but his wild comments. Asking a reporter if "they are a junkie" and "do you do cocaine" when the reporter asked him about taking a cognitive test. Or the whole, "You ain't black" deal... yikes. Just doesn't seem nearly as sharp as he was even few years ago.
You avoided the issue though.

You claimed he "seems sharp." As this excerpt shows, he is not sharp, unless your requirements for being sharp are, "can read things aloud". You're admitting he can't speak well on his own.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:20 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:00 pmThis is a good example. He's not reading verbatim from a script and that's half the problem! If he would have read the script, the speech would have been 5 minutes and done but he ad-libs and interjects. I'd love to see the actual script Vs the transcript to see what percentage was verbatim. Guessing like 10% if that. I could post a few examples of Biden just flat out fumbling and sounding sadly confused but you can look those up. It's not only his speech but his wild comments. Asking a reporter if "they are a junkie" and "do you do cocaine" when the reporter asked him about taking a cognitive test. Or the whole, "You ain't black" deal... yikes. Just doesn't seem nearly as sharp as he was even few years ago.
You avoided the issue though.

You claimed he "seems sharp." As this excerpt shows, he is not sharp, unless your requirements for being sharp are, "can read things aloud". You're admitting he can't speak well on his own.
Fair enough. I should say he seems sharper than Biden even if that’s not saying much. I’ve always said he’s a terrible public speaker especially having to follow one of the best public speaking presidents of all time.

I think if you want to say Trump has cognitive issues, you have to admit Biden does too.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

DColeKC wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:33 pmFair enough. I should say he seems sharper than Biden even if that’s not saying much. I’ve always said he’s a terrible public speaker especially having to follow one of the best public speaking presidents of all time.

I think if you want to say Trump has cognitive issues, you have to admit Biden does too.
Yes.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

mean wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:49 pm Is it though? It's a bit like debating whether water is wet, and then somehow getting dragged into an argument about how saturated with water something needs to be to be objectively classified as "wet" while also being distracted by whether something saturated with a non-water liquid would also classify as being wet. It's a joke, a sham, a complete illusion. Truth is irrelevant as long as you can get people fighting about what is true. It's so transparent that it would be funny if it wasn't working.
As soon as I said it, the forum delivered. Good job guys. We can wrap it up and go home.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

mean wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:14 am
mean wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:49 pm Is it though? It's a bit like debating whether water is wet, and then somehow getting dragged into an argument about how saturated with water something needs to be to be objectively classified as "wet" while also being distracted by whether something saturated with a non-water liquid would also classify as being wet. It's a joke, a sham, a complete illusion. Truth is irrelevant as long as you can get people fighting about what is true. It's so transparent that it would be funny if it wasn't working.
As soon as I said it, the forum delivered. Good job guys. We can wrap it up and go home.
Just wanted to prove you right. ;)
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:06 pm

Are you serious? Why are comparisons to a past president off limits? That's so childish. How do we know if what anyone does is good or bad if we don't look at the past? I'm not comparing them as men or even presidents, I'm comparing their schedules. It was made to sound like taking his first meeting at 11am is so insanely different from past presidents when it's not. You're right, there are hundreds of thousands like me who are so sick of smug people like you, we might vote for Trump even though we don't like the guy just to spite you and all the other people who so ignorantly lump anyone who doesn't jump on the Trump hate train as stupid, apologist, deplorable and whatever other words you want to use. You're no better than the toothless, confederate flag flying, racist white trash hillbilly who calls anyone who says anything negative about Trump a "snowflake".

Being called an "apologist" in direct response to a long literal apologia that you wrote actually is not the same thing as racism. If you want to vote for Trump then just fucking go vote for Trump, but don't try to lay your decision at someone else's feet, that you would have voted otherwise but people were just so mean to you that you had to go vote for Trump out of "spite." Nobody is buying this "I don't like the guy, but [five paragraphs about how he's actually fine]" bit anyway.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

phuqueue wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:10 am
DColeKC wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:06 pm

Being called an "apologist" in direct response to a long literal apologia that you wrote actually is not the same thing as racism. If you want to vote for Trump then just fucking go vote for Trump, but don't try to lay your decision at someone else's feet, that you would have voted otherwise but people were just so mean to you that you had to go vote for Trump out of "spite." Nobody is buying this "I don't like the guy, but [five paragraphs about how he's actually fine]" bit anyway.
I don’t like a corrupt traitor, but gosh darn it those liberals are so mean I’m gonna have to vote for him. It’s your fault!