COVID19

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: COVID19

Post by shinatoo »

Highlander wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:38 am
I have probably voted republican more than I've voted democratic but the ACA is the one thing Obama did that pushed me into the democratic camp in 2016. I didn't like Hillary but I knew the republicans would try to destroy the ACA which was exactly the case and I thought it was well worth protecting. I was not impacted by ACA but as imperfect as it was, it was a step in the right direction to control an unsustainable system that was bankrupting many Americans and contributing to our poor national health care record compared to many other western nations. I had a plethora of friends and family members that benefited greatly from the ACA. Trumps attempt to destroy it without anything in it's place, and even destroy the pre-existing condition clause, has been deplorable.
+1

But a lot of other things are keeping me in the democratic camp.

That said, if the GOP pulls off some kind of coup at the convention and gets another candidate in there (Romney?) I might actual pay attention to what he has to say. 99% sure I wouldn't vote Republican this fall, but it would be a move in the right direction for the party.

Right now Trump could check list everything I care about and there wouldn't be a chance of me voting for him.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Trump finally said we should wear masks and they're effective during this live press conference...... PLEASE let that finally be enough for the anti-maskers!
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:17 pm Trump finally said we should wear masks and they're effective during this live press conference...... PLEASE let that finally be enough for the anti-maskers!
Hopefully, if we can get a lot of the governors to mandate masks we might be able to get this thing more under control
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Riverite wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:04 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:17 pm Trump finally said we should wear masks and they're effective during this live press conference...... PLEASE let that finally be enough for the anti-maskers!
Hopefully, if we can get a lot of the governors to mandate masks we might be able to get this thing more under control
Fingers crossed.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Interesting this comes out after he changes campaign managers. His old tactics of denial and defiance clearly were not working in the polls which is why we are seeing this change. I doubt it has much impact on some of his followers though. Many believe CV19 is an enormous hoax and will not change their habits.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Today at the post office one of the clerks had his mask over his mouth but not his nose. Many humans cannot even operate masks correctly.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

FangKC wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:19 pm Today at the post office one of the clerks had his mask over his mouth but not his nose. Many humans cannot even operate masks correctly.
People have done this in literally every public interaction I've had. It is depressing. Car service center guy had a face shield on but no mask :(
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

It is rather amazing that NY and NJ have nearly 1/3 of US deaths from CV19 (47,000 out of 155,000) but they are only currently contributing about 3% of US deaths. Herd immunity? New York has had confirmed 442,000 cases of CV19. That's only a 2.3% of the population that are known to have the disease. Even if the number of actual cases is 10X higher than the confirmed cases, that's still only 23% of the population. I wonder what they are doing differently?
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Highlander wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:04 pm It is rather amazing that NY and NJ have nearly 1/3 of US deaths from CV19 (47,000 out of 155,000) but they are only currently contributing about 3% of US deaths. Herd immunity? New York has had confirmed 442,000 cases of CV19. That's only a 2.3% of the population that are known to have the disease. Even if the number of actual cases is 10X higher than the confirmed cases, that's still only 23% of the population. I wonder what they are doing differently?
I would guess some of it is due to younger people having a higher rate of infection at the moment. It is also partially due to the fact they weren’t as prepared with separated hospital areas. It might’ve been spreading freely around icu and old folks homes for weeks before they shut down
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Highlander wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:04 pm It is rather amazing that NY and NJ have nearly 1/3 of US deaths from CV19 (47,000 out of 155,000) but they are only currently contributing about 3% of US deaths. Herd immunity? New York has had confirmed 442,000 cases of CV19. That's only a 2.3% of the population that are known to have the disease. Even if the number of actual cases is 10X higher than the confirmed cases, that's still only 23% of the population. I wonder what they are doing differently?
Don't forget many of those deaths in the northeast were early on during the pandemic. Now the caregivers have better treatment options which result in better care and fewer deaths.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

There is no big mystery here. New York did literally everything differently than all these other states that are spiking now: a real shutdown that people actually observed. For months the streets were dead and the vast majority of those people who were out were wearing masks. Transit ridership and car traffic both cratered as people actually stayed home. That has been less the case over the past ~6-8 weeks with the phased reopening, so not clear whether this is just a lull before a new spike or if the worst has actually passed, but that's what happened.

Pandemic response is not some unsolvable puzzle, basically the entire world has figured it out except for Brazil and broad swaths of the US. New York got hit hard and fast before anybody was ready (although they should have been) and had to play catch-up, but ultimately they successfully managed to get it under control and bring the numbers way down. On the other hand, all of these Sunbelt states had plenty of lead time to prepare and they squandered it on half-assed "lockdowns" that they then prematurely ended.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

phuqueue wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:10 am On the other hand, all of these Sunbelt states had plenty of lead time to prepare and they squandered it on half-assed "lockdowns" that they then prematurely ended.
That was because the pandemic became a political football in the SE aided and abetted by Trump. Not that it isn't elsewhere, but the republican governors in the SE refused to take necessary steps because they wanted to stay aligned with the nonsense coming out of Washington. It still pains me to see my older and vulnerable conservative friends/family take no precautions whatsoever because they expect miracle drugs pushed by Trump and quacks to allow them to quickly overcome any effects of the virus.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Highlander wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:44 pm
phuqueue wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:10 am On the other hand, all of these Sunbelt states had plenty of lead time to prepare and they squandered it on half-assed "lockdowns" that they then prematurely ended.
That was because the pandemic became a political football in the SE aided and abetted by Trump. Not that it isn't elsewhere, but the republican governors in the SE refused to take necessary steps because they wanted to stay aligned with the nonsense coming out of Washington. It still pains me to see my older and vulnerable conservative friends/family take no precautions whatsoever because they expect miracle drugs pushed by Trump and quacks to allow them to quickly overcome any effects of the virus.
If you haven't, look at the MLM (pyramid scheme) market. It explains a lot.

The people who sell through these systems, many of them are well meaning people but they're either easily controlled or ignorant.

Of course it's not 1:1 but a huge number of MLMs come out of groups where following a strong religious leaders is normal, regardless of which religious group you're talking about. Mormon, evangelical Christian and Hispanic Catholics are three (but not the only) groups well known for being associated with MLMs.

Many of these people also de-friend people seen as being against their sales and has parallel to religious shunning or dismissing people with other religious views. This isn't a group where working well with others is common.

It's somewhat anecdotal but there's a large overlap between people who sell these products and support Trump.

So what's more powerful than a deeply held belief? Narcissism. We haven't sufficiently got everyone to take action to save themselves.

That's what's so bad about what Trump's doing. He's so out of the norm that he's not even doing what it takes to get his supporters to save their lives. I'm not saying he's narcissist but it's incredible how his being right is more important than winning.

What he needed to do was hold a rally and hand out a free MAGA mask and sell several varieties on some website for people who can't get a ticket. Take over large parks in multiple cities with video screens in each. It would let them have people across the county and enables swing voters to come out easily. Tell his supporters that liberals don't want them to wear the masks and to go out and show the huge amount of support there is with a product that businesses can't ask them to remove. Use masks as a walking billboard like the hats were, whoever came up with the hats was brilliant.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

flyingember wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:47 pm
What he needed to do was hold a rally and hand out a free MAGA mask and sell several varieties on some website for people who can't get a ticket. Take over large parks in multiple cities with video screens in each. It would let them have people across the county and enables swing voters to come out easily. Tell his supporters that liberals don't want them to wear the masks and to go out and show the huge amount of support there is with a product that businesses can't ask them to remove. Use masks as a walking billboard like the hats were, whoever came up with the hats was brilliant.
Please delete this before one of his supporters steals this idea.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 12802.html Pizza Street in Shawnee closing and wouldn't be if no Vurus.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

oh no, not pizza street
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

flyingember wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:47 pm
Highlander wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:44 pm
If you haven't, look at the MLM (pyramid scheme) market. It explains a lot.

The people who sell through these systems, many of them are well meaning people but they're either easily controlled or ignorant.

Of course it's not 1:1 but a huge number of MLMs come out of groups where following a strong religious leaders is normal, regardless of which religious group you're talking about. Mormon, evangelical Christian and Hispanic Catholics are three (but not the only) groups well known for being associated with MLMs.

Many of these people also de-friend people seen as being against their sales and has parallel to religious shunning or dismissing people with other religious views. This isn't a group where working well with others is common.

It's somewhat anecdotal but there's a large overlap between people who sell these products and support Trump.

So what's more powerful than a deeply held belief? Narcissism. We haven't sufficiently got everyone to take action to save themselves.

That's what's so bad about what Trump's doing. He's so out of the norm that he's not even doing what it takes to get his supporters to save their lives. I'm not saying he's narcissist but it's incredible how his being right is more important than winning.

I disagree with your suggestion that people who are into MLM’s tend to be religious or Trump supporters. Two of the biggest current MLM’s are made up of mostly Trump haters. Arbonne and Worldventures.

Sure, some of the older holistic type healing seemed to be driven by more religious conservative types but those aren’t the big players right now.

I think the divide happens because conservatives will push natural healing or anything tied to religion. However, making money from it isn’t the main goal.

With a company like world ventures, it’s mostly people who want to read books about “wealth”, hold down a part time job and travel for cheap. They’re more about “screwing the man” and not spending your whole life working for the man. For sure the opposite of most conservative types.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

In MLM recruiting materials, both subtle and overt religious tones are often used, e.g., the word “blessing” is used frequently with regard to profits.138 In an example of these overtones, the history of Amway starts with the following: “In this book you will find the same insights . . . that have served as a guiding light and a resource for millions of people around the earth to create a more rewarding life.”139 Indeed, recruitment methods for at least some MLMs have often been compared to recruitment into religious organizations.

Altogether, the belief linked to American civil religion that “both God and the market should be left free . . . to reward correct behavior and punish the evil or lazy”141 plays into the mythology of the self-made man142 and can be translated into two mythical values removed from actual religious belief but tied to identity: (1) Grit (the idea that outcome is perfectly correlated with effort) and (2) independence. The first value sustains MLM consultants’ optimism in the face of potential losses, while the second value reduces the focus on economic losses altogether.

In the social psychological literature, situations that emphasize particular identities (i.e., priming) may cause behavior changes among individuals.143As such, one could imagine a situation in which situations that stress particularly religious or gendered themes alongside MLM opportunities may cause potential consultants to engage further with MLMs. These contexts would serve as a social norm or reference point for what the consultant “should” do.
https://repository.uchastings.edu/cgi/v ... aw_journal

You could write something very close about individuals against the lockdowns.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Steinmart closing all its locations including the 2 in Johnson County meaning 2 spaces to fill maybe Sierra Trading Post.