Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by WoodDraw »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:10 am
WoodDraw wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:08 pm Doesn't the plaza have a cid tax that pays for parking and flowers and what not?

I don't get why the plaza would be very lucrative to sell off with the bowl zoning requirements. What developer wants to buy a place you can't build on? You're just a landlord at this point.
There's no CID for the Country Club Plaza. There is a 1/2-cent sales tax TDD that built and maintains several of the newer parking garages.

https://www.kcmo.gov/home/showdocument?id=1333

Agreed on the bowl restriction affecting the Plaza's value.
Ahh that’s it. Thanks for the correction.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

This has been posted on LoopNet before, although I do see the date created as 7/5/20, so maybe they just re-listed it. Listing do sometimes appear and disappear off LoopNet in a seemingly arbitrary fashion.

Things seemed to be pointing toward this project moving forward. I had assumed that since the previous posting disappeared, it had been sold, or a new partner was brought in and that is when the design was changed and scaled up. I believe it was scheduled to be on an upcoming CPC Docket. I did see it was put out for bids on the Dodge construction site a while back.

It is interesting that they are using the old renderings on this listing.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:41 pm This has been posted on LoopNet before, although I do see the date created as 7/5/20, so maybe they just re-listed it. Listing do sometimes appear and disappear off LoopNet in a seemingly arbitrary fashion.

Things seemed to be pointing toward this project moving forward. I had assumed that since the previous posting disappeared, it had been sold, or a new partner was brought in and that is when the design was changed and scaled up. I believe it was scheduled to be on an upcoming CPC Docket. I did see it was put out for bids on the Dodge construction site a while back.

Now that you mention it, this listing looks like it is for project investors and not selling the project outright which is what the previous listings advertised.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:34 pm
jasty5 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:21 pm Couldn’t find if there was a specific thread so I’m adding here. I am hearing that the holiday inn property is being sold and is in a 30-day due diligence period. The buyer is connected to Americo Life Insurance, same partner as the Waddell & Reed and Reverb projects. I am hearing they want to put 250 apartments and 250 hotel rooms on the site in a few different 8 story towers, plus a pad for a future development.
A pad for a qsr or a pad for a mid/high rise?

The proposal sounds similar to Allé
Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza to permanently close July 15, 2020. Structure likely to be demolished by new owners.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Link2 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:06 pm
normalthings wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:34 pm
jasty5 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:21 pm Couldn’t find if there was a specific thread so I’m adding here. I am hearing that the holiday inn property is being sold and is in a 30-day due diligence period. The buyer is connected to Americo Life Insurance, same partner as the Waddell & Reed and Reverb projects. I am hearing they want to put 250 apartments and 250 hotel rooms on the site in a few different 8 story towers, plus a pad for a future development.
A pad for a qsr or a pad for a mid/high rise?

The proposal sounds similar to Allé
Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza to permanently close July 15, 2020. Structure likely to be demolished by new owners.
I can confirm the hotel is closing.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Critical_Mass wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:56 pm Is the Kimpton proposal dead?

Just heard this as well. Building is coming down
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

No utility disconnects or demolition permits yet.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Kevin Collison is reported that Kimpton is dropping out of the redevelopment of the Holiday Inn.

https://cityscenekc.com/kimpton-wins-ci ... 1-opening/
Last edited by FangKC on Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:56 pm Kevin Collison is reported that Klimpton is dropping out of the redevelopment of the Holiday Inn.

https://cityscenekc.com/kimpton-wins-ci ... 1-opening/
KC EDC stated that no one has expressed interest in redevelopment for the site, at least one with incentives

The Holiday Inn is not taking reservations past next week (I tried).

Why close the hotel and pay for a bulldozing if you aren't going to redevelop anytime soon?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:54 pmWhy close the hotel and pay for a bulldozing if you aren't going to redevelop anytime soon?
kansas city
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

No one would confirm to Kevin the details that were posted here.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:54 pm
Why close the hotel and pay for a bulldozing if you aren't going to redevelop anytime soon?
it probably costs the same to tear the building down and mow an empty lot as the carrying costs of maintaining it
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:41 pm This has been posted on LoopNet before, although I do see the date created as 7/5/20, so maybe they just re-listed it. Listing do sometimes appear and disappear off LoopNet in a seemingly arbitrary fashion.

The Dylan was to be on the CPC Docket for 7/21, but it has been continued "to allow the applicant to hold a Public Engagement meeting prior to CPC hearing the case."

It sounds like they are still planning on moving forward.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The Plaza may get an Amazon 4Star store in the old Tesla spot...
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... plaza.html

https://www.amazon.com/amazon-4-star/b/ ... 7988552011

Downtown needs this more than Plaza. And Plaza could use an Amazon Go grocery.
Last edited by earthling on Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:22 pm The Plaza may get an Amazon 4Star store in the old Tesla spot...
https://www.amazon.com/amazon-4-star/b/ ... 7988552011

Downtown needs this more than Plaza. And Plaza could use an Amazon Go grocery.
The Plaza area already has an Amazon grocery store. It's called Whole Foods. They're not going to compete with themselves by opening a second grocery store 4 blocks away.

But opening a non-food store in proximity makes sense. It probably will share senior management, deliveries and the like.

Amazon is doing this in St. Louis. Whole foods and a 4 star 5 blocks apart (opposite sides of 40 hwy)
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Amazon has a few Go stores very close to Whole Foods in Seattle, some only 3-5 blocks. UMKC WF is not within walking distance for Plaza visitors and most residence but understand those who live at suburban scale think it's in proximity. The Go store is a mini store with lower cost items that would hardly compete.

Plaza proper needs a small market with basic goods as it often had in the past (like Go type products). And/or a small CVS/Walgreens type store.

And downtown needs basic goods that Amazon 4Star carries, more than Plaza does.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

^was going to say visit the northwest sometime, Whole Foods and Amazon Go can operate as distinctly different venues. No different than just a few years ago when Gap and Banana Republic existed side by side.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

There’s 8 drug stores nearby with basic goods, including one ~3 blocks off the plaza
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^And none easily accessible from pedestrian perspective. There needs to be one within Plaza proper as there used to be. Not just for residents but also shoppers and hotel visitors. I walk to nearest drugstore often when staying at hotel within cities. Most every major urban leaning tourist center has a drug store merged within... Michigan Ave has many, Vegas strip, 5th Ave, etc. But you live in car dependent suburbia so understand why you are baffled.