Renovations of apartment buildings along Armour Blvd.

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Renovations of apartment buildings along Armour Blvd.

Post by dukuboy1 »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:33 pm
dukuboy1 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:00 pmVery impressed and I did not realize just how many were being done. I hope it continues to to happen until that whole area is redone. Bringing back some upscale, market rate residential to the area should be a boom.
Really, just about all of the buildings have been renovated and brought to market rate, with two key exceptions: The Bainbridge and Georgian Court, both owned by Eagle Point and rented as Section 8.

There was an effort to have those buildings declared "socially blighted" to force the sale, but that went nowhere. I believe they are locked into bing Section 8 buildings due to a contract with HUD. I can't recall how long that contract ran, but if I recall correctly, there might only be a few years left. We will have to see if Eagle Point has any interest in selling at that point. I will say, it seems like things have calmed down a bit at the Bainbridge over the last couple years - at least I don't recall hearing about any problems that were previously regular occurrences.
Hopefully with the neighborhood changing the good people living in a section 8 building can use their neighbors to drive away the bad. A community that cares. I assume once the HUD contract is done they will look to sell and or rennovate to make some money. It would be nice if tennants that were in good standing and good people would be allowed to stay in a rent controlled type of situation. But I don't know the bldg all that well. There could be more knuckleheads than good ppl living there.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

dukuboy1 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:51 pm
Hopefully with the neighborhood changing the good people living in a section 8 building can use their neighbors to drive away the bad. A community that cares. I assume once the HUD contract is done they will look to sell and or rennovate to make some money. It would be nice if tennants that were in good standing and good people would be allowed to stay in a rent controlled type of situation. But I don't know the bldg all that well. There could be more knuckleheads than good ppl living there.
If you don't know the building well then saying bad things about the residents comes across bad.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

what did I say was bad? Someone commented that there were problems at one of the buildings. I understand that sometimes there are good ppl living with some not so nice ppl and apartments can get a bad rep. My hope is whatever happens to the building those good ppl still get a chance to live there and take advantage of the renovations. I specifically said I didn't know the building ad what the situation is and that there could be more knuckleheads than good ppl living there but I don't know. So I was merely commenting on the comment of there used to be issues and that those issue may or may not have calmed down a but. My hope is with a strong community/neighborhood any ppl who want to cause trouble won't and will leave
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

So if you don't know if there are issues what exactly are you commenting on? Something you made up?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I lived in a mixed income building on Quality Hill in the early 2000s that had a certain percentage of Section 8 residents. The problem was not so much the Sec. 8 tenants themselves, but the people they were dating or in relationships with. In this situation it was mostly women who were making bad choices in the men they invited into the building.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Walked by the ARC project at Armour & Central yesterday. What a transformation! Sorry I didn't grab a pic. Quite different from the previous facade, but certainly keeping with the architectural style. Unfortunately there aren't any images of the facade on the website: https://www.macapartments.com/property/Arc-on-Armour
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

flyingember wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:05 am So if you don't know if there are issues what exactly are you commenting on? Something you made up?
just simply commenting on what others had communicated, and information that has circulated over the years. Some of it documented by news agencies and police reports etc. There is archival data to research if one is so inclined. Mainly just responding to the comments on the board & anecdotal information. I do not believe I ever mentioned anything specific, never named any specific person, or disparaged any one individual, community, or institution. I apologize if you thought my comments were overly negative or divisive. It was not my intention, and perhaps they just came across poorly. It's obvious some others understood and agreed to my line of thought. But it again there was nothing overtly wrong, and I apologize if somehow you were triggered by a very mundane thought/conversation in non-specific conversation. Perhaps you are invested in the building in some way? Perhaps via an ownership stake, or you reside there or have family or friends who do. I'm not sure, as your comments have never wandered past a focus on taking some innocuous comments (words & individual phrases) and turning them into something larger.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Here's the latest on the MAC project at Cherry:

KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

3521 Baltimore (just south of Armour Blvd) is up for sale. 59 Units for $4M.

This is one of the last big apartments along the Armour corridor that could really use a renovation and new ownership - and probably one of the last in all of Midtown, aside from the Alcazar and Santa Maria on 39th St. Hopefully Mac or another company that will put in a serious investment will pick it up.

It was just listed on 9/2/20 and the first sentence in the listing mentions the streetcar extension. Is it just a coincidence that this happens right after the streetcar funding is announced, or will we see a trend of more owners looking to cash in now?

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Unlikely a coincidence and we'll see many more property sales or projects of some form occur along the corridor specifically because of the streetcar essentially happening now.
tskev
Ambassador

Post by tskev »

Don't know if this was re-uploaded to Loopnet, or if it just previously wasn't on there, but it has been for sale for most of 2020. It is very expensive and Mac won't be a buyer unless the price is reduced significantly. I'd say the fact that it is listed is more because of the overall midtown apartment market over the past few years. The price is probably more a result of the streetcar.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Renovation of 3507-3513 Gillham.

https://rosinpreservation.com/portfolio ... 3-gillham/

A couple of additional photos of the interior.

https://www.facebook.com/RosinPreservat ... 360481117/
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

FangKC wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:08 pm Renovation of 3507-3513 Gillham.

That before and after of the kitchen is amazing. I love seeing those types of transformations.

Great work.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I don't know why, but I always fell so happy when an old building is renovated, and sad when they are demolished.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:44 am
FangKC wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:08 pm Renovation of 3507-3513 Gillham.

That before and after of the kitchen is amazing. I love seeing those types of transformations.

Great work.
Historic Tax Credits at work.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

the office building at the SE corner of Main & Armour is for sale. The hotel directly to the south is also for sale.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Sad that a functional nice stone home was torn down for that utilitarian office building.

Now if the NE lot would be up for sale (BK). Mac should offer 20+ years free rent to BK owner for a ground level spot in a TOD residential building.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

MAC's Armour & Troost project has started construction.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Construction guy that was working on 3507 Gillham told me they were cutting up the apartments into smaller units. Was in years ago and they were the size of a large condo with cool old woodwork and columns.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:18 am MAC's Armour & Troost project has started construction.
I couldn't find these posted here already, but I believe these are the most up-to-date and detailed renderings available for this project. Northeast corner will be the first to begin construction: