Renovations of apartment buildings along Armour Blvd.

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Renovations of apartment buildings along Armour Blvd.

Post by Chris Stritzel »

The new glass on this renovation looks good

grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Is that the old Red Cross building?
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Looks unrecognizable
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

It would have been nice if the glass were recessed and there was balcony space under the arches. It would have been more in character with the vintage low rise buildings on the stretch.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Glass looks very nice. Check out that worksite though. What a shit show.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Both of the Centric projects on Armour have looked like a SWPPP nightmare for months. It's a good thing for them that the EPA doesn't exist anymore.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I saw troost corners bidding lead posted on a construction bidding website this week.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Here is a drone shot for a listing of a home in Hyde Park. It has a pretty nice view of Armour Blvd. You can see the elevator shaft for the 520 E Armour development poking out of the trees.

KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

FangKC wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:13 pm Historic apartment building on Armour sells at auction
The U.S. General Services Administration sold a Midtown apartment building known as Windsor Manor for $1.9 million.

The GSA sold the four-story brick building at 409 E. Armour Blvd. in an online auction.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... =e_me_set1
Well, this building is back up for sale. I guess whoever bought it couldn't swing the rehab. They are asking the same $1.9M they paid, so I don't think they are just trying to flip it for a profit.

It looks rough, but has some nice original features:

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/409-411 ... /19891434/
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

I’d imagine we will see Mac buying that one
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Does anyone have a rendering of the MAC 5 floor/110 unit apt building now under construction at Cherry/Amour? Planned to open end of year or so.

Also, update on Armour/Troost buildings..
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... ments.html
Mac Properties also on June 24 bid out construction for the first apartment building at the Armour and Troost intersection — a five-story, 51-unit development at the intersection's northeast corner.

Once the developer secures a guaranteed maximum price and closes on a construction loan for that second building, work is slated to begin late in the third quarter or early in the fourth quarter, Cassel said.

"We're eager to get the northeast corner started and then turn our focus to building permits and construction pricing for the rest of the buildings," he said.

The remaining apartment buildings — another five-story development with 48 apartment at the southeast corner, and eight-story structures at the southwest and northwest corners, with 139 and 102 units respectively — remain on track to be built through 2023.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

earthling wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:04 pm Does anyone have a rendering of the MAC 5 floor/110 unit apt building now under construction at Cherry/Amour? Planned to open end of year or so.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Apparently the Red Cross building conversion will be called Arc on Armour. It looks like they are starting leasing and not too far off completion:

Progress on 520 E Armour. You can't see much of it in these photos, but it appears they are using steel framing on this building. I'm not sure if it is the same Prescient system that Arterra used.

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

According to the Mac website, apartments at the Arc on Armour range in price from $850-$1875 a month. More in depth...
- Studio: From $850-$1210 per month. Unit sizes range from 399SF to 568SF.
- One Bedroom: From $1135-$1405 per month. Unit sizes range from 625SF to 774SF.
- Two Bedrooms: From $1505-$1875 per month. Unit sizes range from 907SF to 1234SF.

An interesting thing to note: the most expensive apartment in each category does not end up being the one with the most square footage.

https://www.macapartments.com/search?&c ... #/?page=12
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

BizJournal Article abou Windsor Manor going back up for sale:

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... rmour.html
Thomas Skevington of Clemons Real Estate said the three-member Boulevard Property Group acquired Windsor Manor intending to complete an apartment restoration.

But the group decided to sell after one member, who brought development experience to the group, left Kansas City, he said.

Now, Skevington said, a new buyer could see the proposed apartment restoration through, making use of existing development plans and city permits already in place.

About $660,000 in federal and state historic tax credits also have been secured for Windsor Manor, he said.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

just spent some time looking at photos and such on MAC Properties site. They have done a lot of work along Armor, updating, and complete renovations. Even some of the older places with window AC units and radiator heat look nice. Very impressed by the level of invest in this area to draw in residents. From Broadway east to Troost along Armor, so many newly redone properties. Very impressed and I did not realize just how many were being done. I hope it continues to to happen until that whole area is redone. Bringing back some upscale, market rate residential to the area should be a boom. Glad to see those building having new life after being abandoned from flop houses and rundown old folks home. This should serve as a major boost to Midtown and make things even better for more development
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

MAC has been awesome reinvigorating Armour and would love to see them expand further in Midtown. But apparently they are not a particularly great landlord. Would be good to see them re-org into a "MAC Neighborhood Renovators" division and then maybe outsource to a more responsible experienced operator (or overhaul existing operations). Anyone living in a MAC building? What has been your experience?
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

dukuboy1 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:00 pmVery impressed and I did not realize just how many were being done. I hope it continues to to happen until that whole area is redone. Bringing back some upscale, market rate residential to the area should be a boom.
Really, just about all of the buildings have been renovated and brought to market rate, with two key exceptions: The Bainbridge and Georgian Court, both owned by Eagle Point and rented as Section 8.

There was an effort to have those buildings declared "socially blighted" to force the sale, but that went nowhere. I believe they are locked into bing Section 8 buildings due to a contract with HUD. I can't recall how long that contract ran, but if I recall correctly, there might only be a few years left. We will have to see if Eagle Point has any interest in selling at that point. I will say, it seems like things have calmed down a bit at the Bainbridge over the last couple years - at least I don't recall hearing about any problems that were previously regular occurrences.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

earthling wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:16 pm MAC has been awesome reinvigorating Armour and would love to see them expand further in Midtown.
I wonder if they could some how get the Knickerbocker Place apartment building and renovate it. I know it's a slim chance, but it would make the area behind their "Ambassador" building look better. Plus it would preserve an old apartment building.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wish MAC would take on Knickerbocker Place too. It would have been smarter to have bundled that renovation with the Uptown Shoppes project just because KP could have shared parking in the garage there. I'm guessing they could have rented renovated Knickerbocker apartments to some KC Life employees if they had covered parking.