Real Estate Listings of Interest (Metrowide)

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
kenrbnj
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Real Estate Listings of Interest (Metrowide)

Post by kenrbnj »

Folks. Might I get your insight...

This property:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/K ... ect/15_zm/

a. Why is it having trouble selling? It is everything I would look for in a property.
b. Why is the property tax so high? $20,000/year. ..Elevated rapidly in the past four years.

Any insight?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kenrbnj wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:14 pm Folks. Might I get your insight...

This property:

a. Why is it having trouble selling? It is everything I would look for in a property.
b. Why is the property tax so high? $20,000/year. ..Elevated rapidly in the past four years.

Any insight?
Broke link
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

This property:

Any insight?
How does it have a $14 HOA fee?

I bet there's something in the disclosure forms that makes it hard to sell because $215 per sq foot is a great cost for that home. New homes are coming in at about that price.
Last edited by flyingember on Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:19 pm

This property:

Any insight?
Broke link
Works for me
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

What is the address?
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

The tax appraisal on that home is over $1.25M, so the taxes are a little over valued. If you were to buy it, you could contest the valuation next time it comes up, if they don't adjust automatically.

As for why it hasn't sold, I can't really say. I do think that little stretch of Ward Parkway may be a little less desirable, with no sidewalks and a lot of traffic zooming down that hill (although on the west side of Ward Parkway right there are some of the priciest homes). It does look like it could use a little updating.

It does seem like it is priced pretty well to me. I don't really see any red flags in the disclosure. However, it did go under contract shortly after it was first listed in 2018 for $1.2M and that fell through. I would guess something might have come up in inspections.
kenrbnj
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kenrbnj »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:01 pm The tax appraisal on that home is over $1.25M, so the taxes are a little over valued. If you were to buy it, you could contest the valuation next time it comes up, if they don't adjust automatically.

As for why it hasn't sold, I can't really say. I do think that little stretch of Ward Parkway may be a little less desirable, with no sidewalks and a lot of traffic zooming down that hill (although on the west side of Ward Parkway right there are some of the priciest homes). It does look like it could use a little updating.

It does seem like it is priced pretty well to me. I don't really see any red flags in the disclosure. However, it did go under contract shortly after it was first listed in 2018 for $1.2M and that fell through. I would guess something might have come up in inspections.
You caught a detail I missed. Did not realize it had an offer which fell through.

..Yes, you did hit the point I had been wondering about: Is it a game of "Chicken" to enter/exit the driveway.

(Your insight is appreciated.)
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

real estate records on that one are a bit head-scratching, but that can't impact the asking price or value. 92 year old 4000 sqft brick home, maybe it needs a shit-ton of repointing.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Any property between 55th Street and the Intercontinental Hotel that accesses directly onto Ward Parkway, and in particular the hill, has a hellish entrance versus traffic issue. I've known several people on either side, both close to the Plaza and further up in Sunset Hill. It is always a drama getting in and getting out without an incident (honking, the "finger") or an accident.

Even the beautiful homes on Dunford Circle are challenged by the traffic (and that's the uphill side).
kenrbnj
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kenrbnj »

Herrfrank: I think you might be onto the key element. Traffic. People who raise children will scorn Ward Parkway, I would think.. ..short of a fence and gate around the perimeter.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KC metro home prices are jumping. Home construction also up in July over last 12 months. Supply decreased by nearly 50% in year, over 2 years ago there were over 9K properties available, now under 5K. Average days on market (resale) for July under 30 days.

http://kcrar.com/Websites/kcrarar/image ... 020-07.pdf
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

i'm slow on the uptake for this one. the bixby house is not only for sale, it's been totally gutted by what appears to be a foreclosure on "USREEB Realty Pros LLC" and/or 1 big red llc:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6505 ... 5821_zpid/

this is one of the only open houses i've ever felt the need to go visit in person. i think we would have gone back in 2016. it was an absolutely wild property, and you got the sense that it had seen some shit.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

^ This estate at 6505 State Line Road was prominently featured in the 1989 filming in Kansas City of Merchant-Ivory's adaptation "Mr & Mrs Bridge." It's the home of Doctor Sauer, a Freudian psychoanalyst "frenemy" of Walter Bridge. A jazz-themed engagement party was filmed at the home, including a car fire (in a 1930s Packard IIRC). Many interior and exterior shots.

The author, Evan Connell, who died just a few years ago, was raised on Drury Lane across the road in Mission HIlls. "His" house in the movie was near Loose Park, on 54th Street or nearby on Sunset Hill. Connell's sister I believe still resides on Wenonga Terrace.
crazywarriorman
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by crazywarriorman »

It looks like the Louis Curtiss house is back on the market. Sad to see the previous buyer hasn't done too much except gutting. $400k seems a lot for just a shell.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1311 ... 0045_zpid/?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

$400k for 5800 sq ft is a steal, especially for a home with a famous name involved

That home finished should be $750k or higher
crazywarriorman
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by crazywarriorman »

flyingember wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:52 pm $400k for 5800 sq ft is a steal, especially for a home with a famous name involved

That home finished should be $750k or higher
I suppose you're right, I didn't even look at the sq footage
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

5800sf seems very high. I'd have guessed it was 3500 max.
KCAppraiser
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCAppraiser »

A realtor lying about sq ft? I'm shocked! Shocked! The county records (which also suck) say the above grade living area is 3527 sq ft. The total basement area is 2339 sq ft. The basement is unfinished. Realtors frequently input the total basement area where the finished basement area is supposed to go so the above grade area and basement area are added together. For this house 3527+2339=5866. The inflated number is then reported as the total sq ft on MLS, Zillow, etc. Makes the house seem much larger than it really is. Never believe sq ft info on listings.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Never thought I would see multiple house listings east of Troost for over a million. 1206 and 1212 east Armour both listed at $1,150,000.00! Beautifully redesigned interiors,must not have been much original left to restore. Cool carriage house ADU.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

moderne wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:14 pm Never thought I would see multiple house listings east of Troost for over a million. 1206 and 1212 east Armour both listed at $1,150,000.00! Beautifully redesigned interiors,must not have been much original left to restore. Cool carriage house ADU.

For clarity, that’s $550k per home. It’s a package deal.

Giant lot for that part of town. If the land was in the west side it would cost around $500k by itself

The price would be $2 million per home for three stories with brick and stone anywhere else in the city and the lots would be for sale by themselves to build on. The price is still forced way down by the neighborhood.

It will be bought up as an investment and resold in 3-5 years