COVID19

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: COVID19

Post by mgsports »

Kansas Mask required starting on Friday.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Gov. Ducey orders Arizona bars, gyms and theaters closed again; large gatherings restricted
Indeed, the order followed another weekend full of packed bars, clubs and pools — despite the state experiencing one of the worst COVID-19 spikes in the country. Arizona has confirmed more than 74,000 cases, with 3,000-plus new cases reported on five of the past seven days.

The directive appears to close a previous loophole that allowed bars and clubs with food service to open earlier than White House guidelines recommended.

"I think we saw the photos and videos of some of the things that were happening around our state this weekend, and the result of that (type of activity) has been an increase in the spread," Ducey said. "With this targeted approach, we know that we can pump the brakes."
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/lo ... _azcentral
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:14 pm At what point do we encourage the older folks and high risk folks to stay at home and make sure we have the financial resources for them available, not the perfectly health 20 year olds that can go back to work? I understand the argument is "senior citizens shouldn't be second class citizens" but something is going to have to give for us to get through this.
See post above.

The thing that is going to "have to give" is young people acting responsibly, which many aren't. Going to crowded bars during a pandemic is not acting responsibly.

It appears that those who are vulnerable and older who are going to be trapped at home for who knows how long because young people cannot sacrifice for the common good. In many cases, the ones being threatened are the so-called "Greatest Generation," who sacrificed greatly for this this country and now the young generation can't simply just stay at home, wear masks, or social distance until this blows over.

It is maddening to me to watch these scenes on social media and TV.

The economy could likely reopen faster and operate if moronic people would just wear masks.

Every time I see someone on TV not wearing a mask I immediately think they are a moron. I don't think they are freedom-loving, patriots--just MORONS. If that applies to anyone on this board, please be notified you are a MORON. Someone needs to tell you.

Freedom-loving, patriots are people who risked their lives for our country, and are wearing masks to protect others.
Last edited by FangKC on Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

The Greatest Generation are all but gone, & so is the Silent Generation. I see just as many boomers out as young people. They just love blaming millennials for everything, even though the youngest are pretty much above 25 now.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:08 pm The Greatest Generation are all but gone, & so is the Lost Generation. I see just as many boomers out as young people. They just love blaming millennials for everything, even though the youngest are pretty much above 25 now.
I know several people who fought in, and lived during, World War II that are still living, not in nursing homes, and trapped in their houses. I know even more from the Silent Generation that are still very active seniors.

But it's not just those people. It's anyone who has underlying health problems that is younger, poorer, and are forced to go to work. They can't work from home. One of the reasons that COVID is hitting Blacks and Latinos especially hard is because they are more often in "essential jobs" and can't work from home.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

FangKC wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:27 pm
TheSmokinPun wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:08 pm The Greatest Generation are all but gone, & so is the Lost Generation. I see just as many boomers out as young people. They just love blaming millennials for everything, even though the youngest are pretty much above 25 now.
I know several people who fought in, and lived during, World War II that are still living, not in nursing homes, and trapped in their houses. I know even more from the Silent Generation that are still very active seniors.

But it's not just those people. It's anyone who has underlying health problems that is younger, poorer, and are forced to go to work. They can't work from home. One of the reasons that COVID is hitting Blacks and Latinos especially hard is because they are more often in "essential jobs" and can't work from home.
Yes my parents are still alive and active... I would rather not have their lives shortened by Trump or the Russians or whoever is running the country right now.

"The Silent Generation is the demographic cohort following the Greatest Generation and preceding the baby boomers. The generation is generally defined as people born from 1928 to 1945. By this definition and U.S. Census data, there are currently 23 million Silents in the United States as of 2019."
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

FangKC wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:57 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:14 pm At what point do we encourage the older folks and high risk folks to stay at home and make sure we have the financial resources for them available, not the perfectly health 20 year olds that can go back to work? I understand the argument is "senior citizens shouldn't be second class citizens" but something is going to have to give for us to get through this.
See post above.

The thing that is going to "have to give" is young people acting responsibly, which many aren't. Going to crowded bars during a pandemic is not acting responsibly.

It appears that those who are vulnerable and older who are going to be trapped at home for who knows how long because young people cannot sacrifice for the common good. In many cases, the ones being threatened are the so-called "Greatest Generation," who sacrificed greatly for this this country and now the young generation can't simply just stay at home, wear masks, or social distance until this blows over.

It is maddening to me to watch these scenes on social media and TV.

The economy could likely reopen faster and operate if moronic people would just wear masks.

Every time I see someone on TV not wearing a mask I immediately think they are a moron. I don't think they are freedom-loving, patriots--just MORONS. If that applies to anyone on this board, please be notified you are a MORON. Someone needs to tell you.

Freedom-loving, patriots are people who risked their lives for our country, and are wearing masks to protect others.
While what I've seen out at bars is a very mixed age group, it does skew younger. I just don't understand why the entire population must stay home to protect a smaller percentage of the population. Why are we not passing stimulus packages so those who need to stay home can be financially ok? I'm not defending young people's right to go out and have fun, but I am defending the hospitality industries right to not go out of business. I know we are printing money we don't have currently as a country but that's not sustainable. I'm also all for masks, but shutting down the economy or forcing people to stay home is an unrealistic approach for this country. Perhaps the CDC and everyone else should have jumped on the mask game from the start. Including the Trump administration.

I also have family members and friends who are 60+ that are willing to take the risk as opposed to become a recluse. I have a smaller amount of family members, some even younger who think they still need to spray all packages down with lysol before touching them.

We just made 2020 the summer of masks, which I'm all for. What's next? What happens next time there's a bad seasonal flu outbreak... mandatory masks? I wonder where all this is leading us in the future.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

It’s a shame there aren’t any examples from elsewhere that demonstrate how to handle a pandemic. A pity, even. We’ll never know what could have worked.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

swid wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:12 pm It’s a shame there aren’t any examples from elsewhere that demonstrate how to handle a pandemic. A pity, even. We’ll never know what could have worked.
I sense sarcasm. Can you name a pandemic that's actually comparable to this one? There's dozens of articles on why it's unlike any other in recent history. We also can't compare this country to most other countries, even though some people are obsessed with that idea.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:24 pmWe also can't compare this country to most other countries, even though some people are obsessed with that idea.
Why can’t we compare countries
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:40 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:24 pmWe also can't compare this country to most other countries, even though some people are obsessed with that idea.
Because apparently AMERICANS can't be inconvenienced at all, not even to save their economy or the lives and health of their fellow AMERICANS.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:40 pm
It's just always the goto example.... Finland did it, S.Korea did this, Norway did that... why can't we?! I guess I shouldn't say we can't, but it's very hard to compare this country to others under most situations. I would love to hear what some you all would do had you been the POTUS when this all started? Not saying his response was good because it was terrible, but what realistic options were available and could have been implemented?

And yes, Americans love their freedom but I'd say 40.2 million being have been very inconvenienced by losing their jobs. 100,000+ small business owners have been very inconvenienced by loosing their businesses for good. Millions have exhausted their savings and we all know how hard it is to save up money in this country. So to act like americans in general aren't willing to be inconvenienced isn't fair. Let's not even talk about the mental health of the people.
mykn

Post by mykn »

> Not saying his response was good because it was terrible, but what realistic options were available and could have been implemented?

I mean,... taking it seriously in the many months the government had to get things ready before it hit the US, stockpiled PPE, used authorization to manufacture PPE, push for a better stimulus so people didn’t have to choose between going broke staying home or getting sick going to work, trump could have just work a damn mask to set an example, not suggested dangerous treatments, listened to experts...
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

mykn wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:14 pm > Not saying his response was good because it was terrible, but what realistic options were available and could have been implemented?

I mean,... taking it seriously in the many months the government had to get things ready before it hit the US, stockpiled PPE, used authorization to manufacture PPE, push for a better stimulus so people didn’t have to choose between going broke staying home or getting sick going to work, trump could have just work a damn mask to set an example, not suggested dangerous treatments, listened to experts...
I hate that now even when people know he is rubbish, they have decided that hypothetically no one in their mind would have done a better job, even though clearly anyone else with the same information as the president would’ve just listened to the experts
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Riverite wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:18 pm
mykn wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:14 pm > Not saying his response was good because it was terrible, but what realistic options were available and could have been implemented?

I hate that now even when people know he is rubbish, they have decided that hypothetically no one in their mind would have done a better job, even though clearly anyone else with the same information as the president would’ve just listened to the experts
I'm for sure not saying that, not sure how I can be anymore clear that I believe Trumps response in addition to all of governments response was 100% hot garbage. I think they can all share the blame evenly because most were obsessed with impeachment during the most crucial time to get ahead of this virus.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:25 pmI think they can all share the blame evenly because most were obsessed with impeachment during the most crucial time to get ahead of this virus.
Should We Blame Impeachment for the Botched COVID-19 Response?

The restrictions on travel from China, Trump’s boldest early move to stop the spread, came during the impeachment trial, about a week before acquittal. Porous though the limits were, they likely bought the U.S. valuable time to prepare.

How did the president spend that time? Ignoring warnings by his own staff, trying to jawbone the stock market, and—for a full month after impeachment was over—banging on about how COVID-19 was basically the flu.

What was it that was supposed to be stealing Trump’s “focus” from February to mid‐​March? Post‐​impeachment trauma?
https://www.cato.org/blog/should-we-bla ... 9-response
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:42 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:25 pmI think they can all share the blame evenly because most were obsessed with impeachment during the most crucial time to get ahead of this virus.
Should We Blame Impeachment for the Botched COVID-19 Response?

The restrictions on travel from China, Trump’s boldest early move to stop the spread, came during the impeachment trial, about a week before acquittal. Porous though the limits were, they likely bought the U.S. valuable time to prepare.

How did the president spend that time? Ignoring warnings by his own staff, trying to jawbone the stock market, and—for a full month after impeachment was over—banging on about how COVID-19 was basically the flu.

What was it that was supposed to be stealing Trump’s “focus” from February to mid‐​March? Post‐​impeachment trauma?
https://www.cato.org/blog/should-we-bla ... 9-response
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/3 ... ncy-155058
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:25 pm
Riverite wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:18 pm

I'm for sure not saying that, not sure how I can be anymore clear that I believe Trumps response in addition to all of governments response was 100% hot garbage. I think they can all share the blame evenly because most were obsessed with impeachment during the most crucial time to get ahead of this virus.
How could Trump have responded better? How about don't defund the CDC and the Pandemic Responce Force. Listen to the experts and follow their advice, on anything, ever.

Lead by example.

Make mask manditory so you can still keep 85% of the businesses open.

Impeachment!?!? If you can't handle more than one crisis at a time you shouldn't be president. Not to metion impeachment wasn't even a crisis for him. In no way was the senate going to convict him of anything and everyone knew it.
mykn

Post by mykn »

Lol, yes Republicans blaming impeachment for their own lackluster handling of the pandemic. I’m glad that someone is standing up for trump on this forum.
mykn

Post by mykn »

Let’s not forget, there were legit reasons for impeachment. If we’re playing this game, if Republicans didn’t want to be tied up in impeachment at the start of the pandemic, Trump shouldn’t have been withholding aid to foreign countries for help investing his political rivals.