Politics

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Politics

Post by Highlander »

earthling wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:56 am With a pretty good chance the White House admin as well as Senate/House going all DEM after election, we'll probably see a rush for approvals that only GOP would comply with before election.

IE, Charter/Spectrum asks FCC to drop restrictions on data caps before election. No caps was a condition with TimeWarnerCable merger...
https://www.lightreading.com/cable-vide ... -id/761888
I suspect the presidential race will tighten once Biden gets back on the trail and selects a VP candidate. Because Biden is perceived to be at the cusp of being too old for the job by many, the VP will be critical and is a potential minefield for him.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

We'll find out soon enough if the Dem's standing back and permitting, even encouraging people to destroy the country in one form or another is a viable election strategy.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

earthling wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:56 am With a pretty good chance the White House admin as well as Senate/House going all DEM after election, we'll probably see a rush for approvals that only GOP would comply with before election.

IE, Charter/Spectrum asks FCC to drop restrictions on data caps before election. No caps was a condition with TimeWarnerCable merger...
https://www.lightreading.com/cable-vide ... -id/761888
I'm more or less a centrist so anytime both the house and senate are controlled by one party, I get nervous.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Steve52 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:45 pm We'll find out soon enough if the Dem's standing back and permitting, even encouraging people to destroy the country in one form or another is a viable election strategy.
Hope you haven't fully crushed your pearls while clutching them.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Steve52 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:45 pm We'll find out soon enough if the Dem's standing back and permitting, even encouraging people to destroy the country in one form or another is a viable election strategy.
It works. See Trump.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

What's everyone's thoughts on this Kayne West for President spectacle? Typically not a conspiracy guy but can't help to think this is some kind of play to get Biden less votes only to help Trump?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:22 pm What's everyone's thoughts on this Kayne West for President spectacle? Typically not a conspiracy guy but can't help to think this is some kind of play to get Biden less votes only to help Trump?
I think we’ll collectively forget about it in a week. A month at the latest.
snigglefritz
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by snigglefritz »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:25 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:22 pm What's everyone's thoughts on this Kayne West for President spectacle? Typically not a conspiracy guy but can't help to think this is some kind of play to get Biden less votes only to help Trump?
He "declared" he was running for President the same way Michael Scott declared bankruptcy. He's passed a lot of filing deadlines and is pretty clearly not *actually* running for anything. I doubt anybody cares about this by the end of the week.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

snigglefritz wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:10 am
He "declared" he was running for President the same way Michael Scott declared bankruptcy. He's passed a lot of filing deadlines and is pretty clearly not *actually* running for anything. I doubt anybody cares about this by the end of the week.
It seems like he's missed almost all state deadlines to appear on any ballots, but I'm sure he could still run as a write in? That could still be disruptive enough to push Trump to victory. Didn't he admit to being Bi-polar? Maybe he'll change his mind tomorrow.
snigglefritz
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by snigglefritz »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:39 am

It seems like he's missed almost all state deadlines to appear on any ballots, but I'm sure he could still run as a write in? That could still be disruptive enough to push Trump to victory. Didn't he admit to being Bi-polar? Maybe he'll change his mind tomorrow.
Being bi-polar has nothing to do with this. Kanye has always been told that he is a genius that everyone loves and, like Trump, has taken that as gospel. If an actual third party candidate can only sway things *just enough* to muddy the waters in swing districts, then a celebrity running on a write-in campaign with no platform, no messaging, no relevant staff, no make-believe campaign staff, and no big-party financial backing is going to have zero practical impact on a 2-person race. But that's still giving this stunt way too much credit. This is not a real thing.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

snigglefritz wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:49 pm

Being bi-polar has nothing to do with this. Kanye has always been told that he is a genius that everyone loves and, like Trump, has taken that as gospel. If an actual third party candidate can only sway things *just enough* to muddy the waters in swing districts, then a celebrity running on a write-in campaign with no platform, no messaging, no relevant staff, no make-believe campaign staff, and no big-party financial backing is going to have zero practical impact on a 2-person race. But that's still giving this stunt way too much credit. This is not a real thing.
It's most likely a stunt, but very real. In 2015 a Huffington Post poll showed that 25% of African Americans said they'd vote for him compared to 3% of whites. However, it could also hurt Trumps chances considering 17% of of black men under 50 support Trump while 70% support Biden. Kayne's run will 100% not end up with him being president but could certainly be slightly disruptive. All this has to be taken with a grain of salt, I'm just enjoying the brief opportunity to talk about something besides Covid.

And the Bi-polar thing could certainly have something to do with it. Have you ever known someone who's Bi-polar?!
snigglefritz
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by snigglefritz »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:03 pm
snigglefritz wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:49 pm

It's most likely a stunt, but very real. In 2015 a Huffington Post poll showed that 25% of African Americans said they'd vote for him compared to 3% of whites. However, it could also hurt Trumps chances considering 17% of of black men under 50 support Trump while 70% support Biden. Kayne's run will 100% not end up with him being president but could certainly be slightly disruptive. All this has to be taken with a grain of salt, I'm just enjoying the brief opportunity to talk about something besides Covid.

And the Bi-polar thing could certainly have something to do with it. Have you ever known someone who's Bi-polar?!
That poll was of 1000 people (not registered voters or even likely voters) and it asked whether people were willing to *consider* voting for Kanye. That poll was also done in September of 2015, so I wouldn't rely too much on those results to be informative of anything in today's landscape.

And yes, I have. I don't think discussion of him being bi-polar has any relevance here. I'll leave it at that.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Is Clay Chastaim really running for the state house?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

So Kamala Harris is Biden's VP pick. Will be interesting to see how polls change per battleground state, particularly from the same pollsters.

If polls improve with her pick, might be better to have her do most of the campaigning and keep Biden on script as it doesn't take much for him to slip words.

And it won't be surprising if Biden resigns once he gets a cabinet established and if he has enough trust that KH will generally follow through with his vision for at least first term. Biden seems more interested in getting Trump out than maybe actually being President?
Last edited by earthling on Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I just don't get why Biden even ran then, if they wanted a non-bernie type why didn't they get someone like Sherrod Brown, he could have actually won Ohio also.
Biden is just a horrible choice and it makes the Democrats look just bad as GOP
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Biden more likely to get independent voters than Bernie, who is considered pretty extreme by many moderates. And we're past that so not worth wasting energy over it. Will be interesting to see what attack points GOP use on KH (and if it works).

phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

He's been running for president for 30 years, he definitely wants it, he's not going to just immediately resign and ride off into the sunset.

Also, having pulled a naked bait and switch like that would also be a nightmare for Democrats in future elections. Kamala already presented herself as an option for president to Dem voters and they didn't want her. Using Biden to Trojan horse her into the presidency anyway would be an absolute shitshow. Biden is super old and seemingly going senile, so if he wins in November then yes, we'll probably see President Kamala at some point, but for it to happen under the circumstances you're describing would be insane. The Democrats are politically inept, sure, but even they can't be that stupid.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

phuqueue wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:06 pm He's been running for president for 30 years, he definitely wants it, he's not going to just immediately resign and ride off into the sunset.

Also, having pulled a naked bait and switch like that would also be a nightmare for Democrats in future elections. Kamala already presented herself as an option for president to Dem voters and they didn't want her. Using Biden to Trojan horse her into the presidency anyway would be an absolute shitshow. Biden is super old and seemingly going senile, so if he wins in November then yes, we'll probably see President Kamala at some point, but for it to happen under the circumstances you're describing would be insane. The Democrats are politically inept, sure, but even they can't be that stupid.
I agree I see zero chance of it happening. He seems with it enough to make it four years, hopefully he does abdicate if it gets too bad though. I don’t think I can bear another president bragging about remembering six words
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Yeah not saying it will have above 50% chance to happen, but wouldn't be _surprising_ if he resigns before term if he assesses himself (or convinced by others) as not able to keep up. I'll vote for him but his progression toward senility is pretty obvious. I'll take senility with a relatively more competent(?) person as backup than the dangerous insanity that we currently have.
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

Biden has been around a long time and is no political dummy. What some perceive as senility is his method of combating a lifelong stutter. Picking Kamala Harris is a very well calculated move that solidifies support in key voting groups, especially suburban women, who have significantly turned to the Democratic Party in recent years. Joe is of an older generation and may seem corny (malarkey) but generally is thought of as a sincere, caring person (read his book:Promises to Keep). Kamala is a great balance with her hipness and tough, no nonsense manner.
I expect this election to be mean, dirty and unprecedented with crap nobody can foresee. Just another messed up chapter to this year called 2020!