Wonderful Waldo

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
nickyrosstheboss
Pad site
Pad site

Re: Wonderful Waldo

Post by nickyrosstheboss »

alejandro46 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:34 pm Its like Quinton Lucas just says shit to get political points and really doesn't care or something, right? Just over here waiting for all those millions of $$$ in affordable housing to get planned East of Troost right, or would that be GENTRIFICATION? Don't forget to make all those developers buy acres of lots to meet our city's 1980s era parking minimums and appease the NIMBYS! (Looking at you HPNA, Armour Corners).
Couldn't of said it better!
CrossroadsUrbanApts
Ambassador

Post by CrossroadsUrbanApts »

kboish wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:32 pm So Lucas just voted to approve the Romanelli Shops IN WALDO as blighted so that they could form a CID.
Ooh, this one hurts. We do finally have a meeting with the mayor next week. I'm hoping to understand more about where he is coming from. I'd like to see him support our project if we are able to bring it back to Council.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

It looks like the Ice House project is back on the LCRA agenda for the meeting this Wednesday.

The project has grown from 4 stories and 33 units to 5 stories and 44 units (first floor commercial space the same). The values has increased from $8M to $9.3M.

Looks like they are still seeking a 75% 10 year tax abatement. I'm not sure why they think it might get approved this time. Maybe because 25% taxes on a $9.3M valuation is better than 25% of $8M.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:18 pm I'm not sure why they think it might get approved this time.
Lobbying.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:43 pm
KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:18 pm I'm not sure why they think it might get approved this time.
Lobbying.
They donated to the campaigns of the right people on the council?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:18 pm It looks like the Ice House project is back on the LCRA agenda for the meeting this Wednesday.

The project has grown from 4 stories and 33 units to 5 stories and 44 units (first floor commercial space the same). The values has increased from $8M to $9.3M.

Looks like they are still seeking a 75% 10 year tax abatement. I'm not sure why they think it might get approved this time. Maybe because 25% taxes on a $9.3M valuation is better than 25% of $8M.
My hope is someone pointed out Mayor Q's hypocrisy in voting no on this project but yes on the Louie's Wine Dive CID.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

It felt like the first time they went through the normal development process but didn’t talk to the councilpeople to win approval. They assumed that if it got sign off from city staff, it would go through. They essentially forgot to kiss the ring and got yanked back.
CrossroadsUrbanApts
Ambassador

No political contributions were made but we did need to do better to educate new council members on what exactly we were asking for. There may have been some confusion with other Waldo-area requests (i.e., the Romanelli CID) that were straightened out. Also some misunderstanding around the size of the abatement requested (someone quoted $1.5 million to us - in reality it is closer to $400K in net present value).

The move from 4 stories to 5 stories was dictated by continued rapid increases in construction costs, even with the requested tax abatement. In large part due to cost of demolishing the existing building, its basement, and all the footings, as well as the need to shore up the adjacent building to the north, which has proved more complicated then expected. We wanted the new building to be up against the street with parking hidden behind it (and a bit along side for the retail).
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^ Make sure you kiss the ring for the next project. Lots of egos in this town.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

New rendering:

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

LOOK AT THAT TRANSPARENT GROUND FLOOR AND HIDDEN PARKING. THIS ISN'T ROCKET SCIENCE. cc: All the other developers. ;)
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

There is a new plan on Compass for 3 six-plexes to be built to the northeast of Gregory and Brookside Blvd (I guess this would technically be in Brookside, but adjacent to Waldo).

There are no renderings or site plans, but two would be on 70th Terrace, presumably in the parking lot behind the Arvest Bank/office building, and one would be on Gregory, to the east of that building. WALDO RH LLC is the owner (not sure who is behind that) with HJM Architects as the designers.

I wonder if we will see some nimby opposition to adding density here. It seems like a good spot for infill and there would be a good market for some apartments at this location.

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... d87900fe9b
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:02 pm New rendering:

Whatever happened to this project?
KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:15 am There is a new plan on Compass for 3 six-plexes to be built to the northeast of Gregory and Brookside Blvd (I guess this would technically be in Brookside, but adjacent to Waldo).

There are no renderings or site plans, but two would be on 70th Terrace, presumably in the parking lot behind the Arvest Bank/office building, and one would be on Gregory, to the east of that building. WALDO RH LLC is the owner (not sure who is behind that) with HJM Architects as the designers.

I wonder if we will see some nimby opposition to adding density here. It seems like a good spot for infill and there would be a good market for some apartments at this location.

Happy to see projects of this size be proposed. Most projects are pretty large so having a smaller project, like these 6-plexes, fill the need for some mixed style housing.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Waldo Icehouse (rendering) is under construction.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:15 am There is a new plan on Compass for 3 six-plexes to be built to the northeast of Gregory and Brookside Blvd (I guess this would technically be in Brookside, but adjacent to Waldo).

Great news if done right. UR district so they will be asking for incentives
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Developer is Upjohn Blount Real Estate. They own 114 W Gregory Blvd - a near by office building.
Walker
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Walker »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:23 pm Waldo Icehouse (rendering) is under construction.
The elevator core appears to be full height now.
CrossroadsUrbanApts
Ambassador

We have two more stories still to go...
Walker
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Walker »

CrossroadsUrbanApts wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:14 pm We have two more stories still to go...
Either my night time vision is off or this project will be even more exciting than I had expected!
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Does anyone have any photos of the progress?