Politics

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Politics

Post by Highlander »

earthling wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:46 pm Am voting for Biden as a Not Trump but am hoping Biden is a delegator and picks a competent cabinet that he listens to. The cabinet he selects may be more important than VP pick.
Once he is president that is true as those selections would not be known in advance. The VP selection, however, is critical in getting him into the presidency. He has come across as a man who is possibly a little too old for the task at hand so many out there are looking at the VP as a likely president over the course of that first term. Trump is a moron and a liar but he's been the same lying moron for the last 10 years. Biden's mental sharpness seems to have declined over the last 4 years.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Agree, agree, agree.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Biden could certainly telegraph a range of cabinet selections, much as he has regarding his VP and like Trump did with potential Supreme Court nominees.

I would expect his cabinet to be very Obama-like, as would his entire presidency.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Biden would do well to pick a lot of governors to fill out his cabinet; and of course, some experienced staff from past administrations who ran agencies, and could take them over and run them well again.

Governors are already experienced in governing and overseeing agencies. That takes a lot of the pressure off Biden--leaving him to make major decisions and not have to deal with failing agencies, or scandals. I don't see Biden pursuing a second term, so the VP pick is important because he can hand off the office to them for a second term -- should they win of course.

Biden's mother lived to age 92. His father 86.

The other thing to remember about Biden is that he has had a lifelong struggle with stuttering. Many mistake that for cognitive problems. If you watch him in one-on-one interviews, he seems much more with it than when he's at a campaign rally or debate.

Biden is also a longtime jogger, and very fit for his age. He's probably physically healthier than Trump.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/05/politics ... index.html
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Trump is mentally and physically deficient and degrading noticeably.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

The issue with announcing a bunch of cabinet picks before the election is you’re effectively tying your campaign to any baggage said pick may carry or be uncovered. Risky enough with just the VP (see Quayle and Palin).

Perhaps you could proposed one or two picks (state and defense?) but much more and I’d think you’re needlessly adding risk for minimal return.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I agree, you can't flat out pick. But you could float a list of people you would consider or say you would pick a Sec of State along the lines of Madeline Albright.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Leaking names of interest in background could work, not officially. I'd rather Uncle Joe be a puppet to a competent cabinet (as Reagan essentially was especially 2nd term) than attempt to be a leader.

He also needs some training from his handlers to think before he speaks and comment later. He could possibly win election by saying nothing outside prepared statements. It may come across as manufactured but would be better than the flippant ridiculous and out of touch remarks he's been making. Sticking to a script would probably be better for his 'condition'.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

MO poll (just a current temperature check at best) shows Trump with only 4 point lead and Parsons with 8 point lead for Gov, dropping from 13 a couple months ago.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:45 am MO poll (just a current temperature check at best) shows Trump with only 4 point lead and Parsons with 8 point lead for Gov, dropping from 13 a couple months ago.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/
It's too far out but that that four polls could be +13 to +18 before could mean he's lost half his lead.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/po ... /missouri/

Based on this Trump lost half or more of his lead in the state too compared to earlier in the year
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/po ... /missouri/
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

grovester wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:01 pm Trump is mentally and physically deficient and degrading noticeably.
How do you feel about Biden? Lol
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Like he'd at least surround himself with competent people to tell him what to do maybe?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

mean wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:45 pm Like he'd at least surround himself with competent people to tell him what to do maybe?
At this point, it would be difficult to find a more out of touch, incompetent, unwise, inappropriate president than Trump. I've vote for just about anyone including Biden to be rid of this imbecile. I'd even be happier even with Pence.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

im2kull wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:38 pm
grovester wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:01 pm Trump is mentally and physically deficient and degrading noticeably.
How do you feel about Biden? Lol
You seem smart enough to know the difference.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Biden doesn’t constantly speak in word salad, so that’s already a good start if you’re worried about cognitive decline.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^A few scripted responses he had last couple days were great, well thought out. But then when he started to use his own words all I could think is he needs to stick to script or have thoughtful canned responses ready. Hopefully he'll have more room to make a few mistakes before election but he could say nothing and win. Against Trump, he simply needs to keep a low profile and let his campaign build up the image/messages they want to project. At least it seems he's learned not to be so awkwardly touchy touchy with people.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Highlander wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:01 pmAt this point, it would be difficult to find a more out of touch, incompetent, unwise, inappropriate president than Trump. I've vote for just about anyone including Biden to be rid of this imbecile. I'd even be happier even with Pence.
If Trump's opposition was Donald Duck, I'd vote for the actual cartoon character instead of the cartoonish caricature of an autocrat that is Trump. There's probably someone who could be worse for the country in these times than Trump, but I can't think of who.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mean wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:19 am There's probably someone who could be worse for the country in these times than Trump, but I can't think of who.
David Duke would count.

Grand Dragon in KKK
Well known for anti-semitism, segregation and conspiracy theories
Claimed to be born again
ran for multiple offices across almost 20 years
Made it on the Democratic presidential primary ballot once and didn't come in last
joined a white nationalist political party when major parties wouldn't have him
won office in Louisiana once
defrauded financial backers for gambling money and became a convicted felon over it
Trump supporter and Trump disavowed his support
Took part in anti-holocaust events in Iran
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Isn't trump kind of like those westboro Baptist people that would protest at funerals with the "god hates **** signs", what they did was actually bring people together and were a huge factor in universal acceptence of gay marriage/homosexuality. I'm not sure but I don't think Fred Phelps actually wasn't against gay marriage. I think there are quotes of him saying that. Some conservative groups thought he was a plant to get people on notice the cause they were protesting. Maybe trump is the same thing with all the crazy stuff he says, what he is doing might actually bring us together as a nation?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

It's possible, although I think Trumpism is here to stay. I'm afraid you can't put that hateful, disgusting toothpaste back in the tube.