FBI Campus

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

FBI Campus

Post by FangKC »

FBI Downtown HQ in Play, Northland Site Pitched
The Kansas City regional FBI office, a downtown fixture since at least 1920, is investigating a new home and is being pitched on a Northland site, although other location offers are expected including the downtown riverfront.

The agency, which is currently housed in a fortress-like setting at 1300 Summit, is seeking what was described in a GSA prospectus as 137,000 square feet of space for what’s expected to be 350 employees by the time its current lease expires in 2025.
A knowledgeable real estate industry source said the Metro North Crossing site is expected to be one of several being pitched to the GSA, including others in the I-29 corridor, the downtown riverfront and the FBI’s current location.

The FBI has been at 1300 Summit since 1998. The building was built specially for the agency which is its sole tenant and the current lease expires in June 2025.

The agency also is leasing space at 4150 N. Mulberry Dr. in Briarcliff to “address additional FBI field office requirements,” according to the GSA.

That lease expires in May 2027. Some FBI operations are expected to remain at the Briarcliff location, but others will be consolidated at the new site.
https://cityscenekc.com/fbi-investigat ... e-pitched/
WSPanic
Supporter

Re: FBI Campus

Post by WSPanic »

Hate to lose any downtown tenants, but that is a great little chunk of land. Would be some pretty good views for any residential or commercial development.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Would be a cool place for a tower.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Riverfront seems like a weird location for this.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm guessing the height allowed on that location is no more than it is now?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Or the height of the giant glowing hereford cow on the pylon.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

True it doesn't look much higher in actuality but in my looking at it I forgot about the light standards for the baseball field next to the FBI which appear to be the tallest item in the vicinity.
https://goo.gl/maps/4hez57XnfvjtVMNn6
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

normalthings wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:20 am Riverfront seems like a weird location for this.
Agreed. It seems like a bad use for that pretty limited area.

There’s supposed to be a federal rule pushing agencies to select urban areas when possible. I’m surprised Metro North is in contention. Then again, the EPA somehow left KCK for that urban paradise of College Blvd and Renner. Personally I’d be fine with metro north. The FBI functions like such a fortress, it seems wasteful to take up land in the core.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

horizons82 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:58 am
normalthings wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:20 am Riverfront seems like a weird location for this.

There’s supposed to be a federal rule pushing agencies to select urban areas when possible. I’m surprised Metro North is in contention. Then again, the EPA somehow left KCK for that urban paradise of College Blvd and Renner. Personally I’d be fine with metro north. The FBI functions like such a fortress, it seems wasteful to take up land in the core.
Any new build Federal building has to have sizable set backs right?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:07 am

I can't remember the rules, but the feds have become difficult builders. Just look at the irs and federal reserve.

Would hate to lose anyone downtown, but I'd put them over in the government district/east village area.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:05 pm

I can't remember the rules, but the feds have become difficult builders. Just look at the irs and federal reserve.

Would hate to lose anyone downtown, but I'd put them over in the government district/east village area.
Anyway that the FBI could set up shop in 13 Grand or Strata? To me it would seem as though being up in a tower with controlled access parking would be just as good as what they are asking for.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

langosta wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:14 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:05 pm

Anyway that the FBI could set up shop in 13 Grand or Strata? To me it would seem as though being up in a tower with controlled access parking would be just as good as what they are asking for.
Doubtful. Few FBI offices are located in such locations: https://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field-offices. Only San Francisco. I cannot remember exactly when the current FBI HQ was built in KC but it honors the increasingly post OKC/WTC government office paranoia which does not seem to be abating. Nonetheless, I hate to see any employer leave DT KC, particularly for the burbs.

But that little triangle of land has potential. Add the stranded and hopeless isolated Mulkey Park to the FBI space and you could have enough room for a residential development that stretches all the way to 12th. An extension of the West Side with no gentrification required. You could even put a one way entrance into the area off the 12th street to I-35 entrance ramp. A residential area works great - it's a relatively short hop across the bridge to downtown (and a pedestrian bridge to the West Side is already present).

Not sure an office works. It would become the next beached whale in KC.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

FBI moving to the northland per cityscene
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Riverite wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:17 pm FBI moving to the northland per cityscene
Was up at KCI today. Noticed the new FBI building. Looks like another government fortress.

It looked up and running or about to be (Google Maps still lists the DT location as FBI HQ). Any idea what will become of the current FBI offices downtown? That area next to Mulkey Park currently occupied by the FBI building and parking lot could be a nice extension of the West Side neighborhood.

Does anyone actually use Mulkey Square Park?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Funny you brought this up, walked by yesterday and wondered the same. would be a pretty valuable piece of land to drop some additional nice houses on that have sprung up around the west side.

I run through there every so often but nobody is ever using it.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Highlander wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:37 pm
Riverite wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:17 pm FBI moving to the northland per cityscene
Was up at KCI today. Noticed the new FBI building. Looks like another government fortress.

It looked up and running or about to be (Google Maps still lists the DT location as FBI HQ). Any idea what will become of the current FBI offices downtown? That area next to Mulkey Park currently occupied by the FBI building and parking lot could be a nice extension of the West Side neighborhood.

Does anyone actually use Mulkey Square Park?
They’re consolidating all operations to the facility by the airport. No government agency is assuming the lease, and it sounds like GSA is relinquishing any remainder dwell time. The office very likely can be put back on the market for a retrofit of back to office
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Could be a badass perch for the Royals Stadium. Access would not be too easy tho.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It could become an office for an engineering or construction company or someplace like Mark One Electric, Ervin Cable, or Spectrum that needs office space in a building where they can also have vehicle service bays. The State, City, or County might also use it for that purpose. The KCPD uses an old gas station over on 13th and Prospect to service vehicles.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Midtownkid wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:08 pm Could be a badass perch for the Royals Stadium. Access would not be too easy tho.
You know I thought about that a while back. Access and isolation would be the problem but I think the site could be big enough - for the stadium and nothing more.