Renovations of apartment buildings along Armour Blvd.

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Renovations of apartment buildings along Armour Blvd.

Post by FangKC »

alejandro46 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:18 pm
chaglang wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:43 pm Fines don’t seem to be a deterrent. The sad thing is that the building will probably be torn down or left to rot after he has stripped it of anything of value. He was offered an astronomical amount of money for the building in a deal that would have included it in the MAC project. Now it’s a 100+ room building with exactly zero available parking spaces.
Wow, that is so sad, its a weathered but interesting and worthy old building. I would suspect the inside is in bad shape, so it's really sad that it was not included in the AC project. :(
It would have been best used in the MAC project because part of the building could have housed clubhouse rooms, gyms, etc.

Has anyone ever been inside the building to see what the layout was?
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

When I rode on the MAX past this building yesterday there was a large bonfire burning in front of the building right next to the sidewalk. A few (very sketchy/unprofessional looking) workers were standing next to it and their rundown pickup truck they had driven up onto the curb; I'm assuming these are some of the "high quality architectural salvagers" hired by "PO-Box Address LLC" that owns the place.

There's a massive hole in the west side of the building, they're destroying a viable historic building, and the weird glass blocks work they're doing looks absolutely terrible, disgusting, and stupid. This all just really pisses me off...
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:57 pm I recently had my second encounter with someone selling architectural details removed from that building. You don't quote get the scale here, but this was a very large piece:

Looking at pictures of that building, I can't find anywhere on the facade that would've fit a piece like that. Also, all the attached terra cotta has a different color than the detached piece.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I'm pretty sure that piece is from the interior, as were the other ones I have seen up for sale.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I see. That’s really sad
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

I’m just waiting for the scrap metal to be stuck on the facade somewhere. It’s Abnos so you know that’s coming.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

He is probably scraping the very things that would make the building valuable to a redeveloper with financing (and historic tax credits), so he is devaluing his own property as an speculative investment.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Big Troost Residential Project Wins Key Committee Approval
An ambitious plan five years in the making to transform the moribund corners of Troost and Armour into a 340-unit, mid-rise apartment development won a key endorsement Wednesday from a City Council Committee.

The unanimous support from the Council Neighborhood Planning and Development Committee sends the Armour Corner project on to the full City Council for final consideration next week.

If approved as expected, MAC Properties plans to begin construction this June on the first phase of the market-rate project, five-story apartment buildings that will be built on the northeast and southeast corners of the intersection.

The second phase, the construction of eight-story buildings on the northwest and southwest corners, is expected to begin in 2022.
https://cityscenekc.com/big-troost-res ... committee/
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Ellington said he would rather have had the developer retain the 30,000 square feet to bring more businesses to the area, adding he would have been willing to take the “heat” if people were concerned about parking.
Councilman Ellington, unlikely voice of reason
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Updated Feb. 7, the City Council unanimously approved the Armour Corners project Thursday, the last step necessary before a construction start expected this June).

https://cityscenekc.com/mac-plan-to-rev ... s-support/
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Amazing.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Renovations of aI partment buildings along Armour Blvd.

Post by FangKC »

I drove by the Boulevard Manor Hotel building, at Forest and Armour, yesterday and saw workers inside the basement level gutting the interior. One of the exit doors was open and I could see inside. The building didn't seem secured, and the fencing around it has been compromised. I worry a fire will take out this building.

KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

The plans for the first of the Four Corners buildings (NE corner) has been submitted on Compass (no attachments, so I don't know if there have been any changes).

I wonder if this means they might even be ahead of schedule for the proposed construction start date in September.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Renovations of aI partment buildings along Armour Blvd.

Post by chaglang »

FangKC wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:34 pm I drove by the Boulevard Manor Hotel building, at Forest and Armour, yesterday and saw workers inside the basement level gutting the interior. One of the exit doors was open and I could see inside. The building didn't seem secured, and the fencing around it has been compromised. I worry a fire will take out this building.

Just your typical unpermitted structural work, NBD. He did essentially the same thing on the apartment building at 40th and Troost.

The building hasn't been secured for at least a decade. The safety fence on the Forest side was always open. No amount of 311 calls could motivate the city to respond.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The apartment building going up across the street from the Newbern is showing a really large footprint in comparison to the historic bldngs. It is going to be the fat sister.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

And has a baby crane up
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:56 pm The apartment building going up across the street from the Newbern is showing a really large footprint in comparison to the historic bldngs. It is going to be the fat sister.
The kids would say “thiccc”
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Armour Corners:

NE - Public infrastructure permit applied for this week. New building plan is moving forward this week with most required approvals received. Plan fee has yet to be paid. Grading plan approved early in the year

SE - grading permit approved 4/22
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

There was utility work being done on the NE corner earlier this week.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:19 am Armour Corners:

NE - Public infrastructure permit applied for this week. New building plan is moving forward this week with most required approvals received. Plan fee has yet to be paid. Grading plan approved early in the year

SE - grading permit approved 4/22
NE: Revision 3 of building plan currently under review.