Sprint sale rumors again

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Sprint sale rumors again

Post by earthling »

Depends on the country. Latin Americas and parts of Asia have had more CDMA than GSM, not sure about now. Newer phones do both CDMA/GSM so doesn't matter.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I can't think of a single central or south American country I've been to that used CDMA. For sure Asia. But none of Europe or any of the Americas.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah I've used CDMA in Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Chile over the years. Don't think it worked in Peru if I recall, at least where I was. I think Mexico dropped CDMA a few years ago, others might have. It doesn't matter anymore given most newish phones can do either GSM/CDMA...

Sprint's global agreements...
https://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp? ... ravel=true

CDMA past deployments (not sure how old)
http://www.cdg.org/worldwide/index.asp
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Sale has gone through.

Good news: BRES reports T-Mobile is expected to add 1500-2000 jobs in Kansas City to take advantage of the young talent that is attracted to the market. T-Mobile will also add a ~1,000 customer experience center - most likely at the Overland Park campus.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Great news if true. Link? Could that be downtown KC for the first mentioned jobs? There's a rumor that a telcom company is looking downtown. Hopefully a long term commitment for KC. And hopefully higher paying 'telcom' jobs and not generic backoffice jobs.

And what is BRES? Block Real Estate Services?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

earthling wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:49 am Great news if true. Link? Could that be downtown KC for the first mentioned jobs? There's a rumor that a telcom company is looking downtown. Hopefully a long term commitment for KC. And hopefully higher paying 'telcom' jobs and not generic backoffice jobs.

Yes, Block Real Estate Services

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... ZjU9D4aJPl

http://members.blockrealestateservices. ... LowRes.pdf

"With the recent approval by the Department of Justice, the Sprint/T-Mobile merger, which was a $26.5 billion deal, is expected to generate as many as 1,500 to 2,000 new jobs for Kansas City as T-Mobile looks to take advantage of a marketplace that is attracting a larger share of college graduates. "

in a different section.....
"T-Mobile, Inc. and Sprint Corp. announced the combined company will add five new customer experience centers throughout the U.S. and each center promises an average of 1,000 new jobs. The Overland Park headquarters facility will be the first of the five new locations and it will be “a new addition” to the existing campus. At this point it’s unclear whether the center would be new construction or filling an existing building. T-Mobile CEO John Leger said in a release, “This is an awesome community that is already going to be New T-Mobile’s secondary home! I can’t wait for the New T-Mobile to become an even bigger part of this community and to personally welcome an amazing group of employees to the Magenta squad-and bring even more to the team!”

and from T-Mobile itself
https://www.t-mobile.com/news/superchar ... rier-moves
Other New T-Mobile Commitments: creating five new Customer Experience Centers to support customers, including building new care facilities near Fresno, Calif., Kansas City, KS, and Rochester, NY;
Last edited by langosta on Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

langosta wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:09 pm
earthling wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:49 am Great news if true. Link? Could that be downtown KC for the first mentioned jobs? There's a rumor that a telcom company is looking downtown. Hopefully a long term commitment for KC. And hopefully higher paying 'telcom' jobs and not generic backoffice jobs.

http://members.blockrealestateservices. ... LowRes.pdf
"With the recent approval by the Department of Justice, the Sprint/T-Mobile merger, which was a $26.5 billion deal, is expected to generate as many as 1,500 to 2,000 new jobs for Kansas City as T-Mobile looks to take advantage of a marketplace that is attracting a larger share of college graduates. "
T Mobile's current HQ is about as urban as Sprint's. T Mobile is homed in a selection of low-midrises along side I90 accompanied by a lovely set of strip malls.

Across the street is an old mall anchored by Nordstrom Rack and Walmart

and their recent office expansion down the road

and we can't forget their beautiful new north suburbs campus
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:01 pmT Mobile's current HQ is about as urban as Sprint's. T Mobile is homed in a selection of low-midrises along side I90 accompanied by a lovely set of strip malls.
Has t mobile ever had downtown offices in any city? Their main HQ might be in suburban Seattle, but that doesn't necessarily mean all their offices are like that, right?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:17 pm
normalthings wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:01 pmT Mobile's current HQ is about as urban as Sprint's. T Mobile is homed in a selection of low-midrises along side I90 accompanied by a lovely set of strip malls.
Has t mobile ever had downtown offices in any city? Their main HQ might be in suburban Seattle, but that doesn't necessarily mean all their offices are like that, right?
Well they do have a ~20,000 sqft office in this lovely suburban Houston office tower. Super urban /s

I have a feeling they can't afford downtown Seattle and thus aren't able to tap their urban young adult talent. But they can afford downtown KC and the talent there.
Last edited by normalthings on Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

This is great news, assuming the jobs end up being NET new added jobs. Glad to hear T-Mobile is dialed into KC being an up & coming city with younger generation looking to start their careers. KC still has other peer cities beat on affordability, especially compared to what is here from a work/life perspective.

Also smart for T-Mobile to be able to tap into young talent and keep their costs down from a salary perspective. Pay someone here 50-60K a year you would have to pay 75-80K per year in Seattle because of COL.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

dukuboy1 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:16 pm This is great news, assuming the jobs end up being NET new added jobs. Glad to hear T-Mobile is dialed into KC being an up & coming city with younger generation looking to start their careers. KC still has other peer cities beat on affordability, especially compared to what is here from a work/life perspective.

Also smart for T-Mobile to be able to tap into young talent and keep their costs down from a salary perspective. Pay someone here 50-60K a year you would have to pay 75-80K per year in Seattle because of COL.
T-Mobile's announced additions are for net new jobs is my understanding.
Last edited by normalthings on Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

dukuboy1 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:16 pm Also smart for T-Mobile to be able to tap into young talent and keep their costs down from a salary perspective. Pay someone here 50-60K a year you would have to pay 75-80K per year in Seattle because of COL.
They also can pay someone the same as Seattle and gain someone with more experience. Good deal all around.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

great to hear they are new NET jobs to the area, and I agree that you can pay the same as Seattle to get that level of experience.

Either way on pay you still get to take better advantage of the cost of living here.

Now we may be singing a different tune in 10yrs if growth takes off and spurs higher cost of living because pay goes up to keep pace, especially if there is a housing price boom. I doubt that will happen, as KC is very steady, highs & lows are never extreme, just dips from the mean typically
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Top Sprint talent is moving to/being poached by SoftBank. Sprint CMO was just picked up by WeWork(owned by SoftBank). Would be nice if they opened a management office here.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

normalthings wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:05 am Top Sprint talent is moving to/being poached by SoftBank. Sprint CMO was just picked up by WeWork(owned by SoftBank). Would be nice if they opened a management office here.
That would be cool if we were to generate some new business to the area. SoftBank did own Sprint correct?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

dukuboy1 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:17 am
normalthings wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:05 am Top Sprint talent is moving to/being poached by SoftBank. Sprint CMO was just picked up by WeWork(owned by SoftBank). Would be nice if they opened a management office here.
That would be cool if we were to generate some new business to the area. SoftBank did own Sprint correct?
Yes, Masayoshi Son has/had a home in Mission Hills as well.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Tmobile may sunset Sprint brand on consumer side this summer, possibly August...
https://www.fiercewireless.com/operator ... medium=rss

Will be interesting to see what happens to Sprint Center name. And would think initially there will be some back office layoffs with overlapping jobs, like when they consolidate billing systems.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

It looks like the giant Sprint ad on the MainMark building is getting replaced. Any news on the Streetcar branding?
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

normalthings wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:19 am Yes, Masayoshi Son has/had a home in Mission Hills as well.
Immediately next door to Marcelo Claure's house on Wenonga Road. Both remain unsold (I think Claure has a renter), and each are about 3 million overpriced IMHO and will sell closer to 5 million.

Generational observation: during their executive years at Sprint, when either Son or Claure were out of town on business, a car with security detail would idle at the foot of the driveway all night long. The older C-level generation of KC didn't do that (e.g., Crosby Kemper, Henry Bloch). Ewing Kauffman always closed the gate, but nobody in my memory had a security guard in a car all night. Just struck me as a coastal thing, not really appropriate to KC.

BTW, Henry Bloch's house on Wenonga Terrace sold for north of 3 million "to a millennial hipster" and will be torn down (all according to a neighbor).
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

gfenn11 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:22 am It looks like the giant Sprint ad on the MainMark building is getting replaced. Any news on the Streetcar branding?

Done.