KU-MU rivalry reborn?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: KU-MU rivalry reborn?

Post by Highlander »

bobbyhawks wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:29 am I honestly haven't heard KU fans calling for the basketball game to come back, so maybe I'm unplugged from the vast majority. As for football, that one limits your scheduling options a lot more. Basketball games can be thrown on the calendar at will, but football games are harder to schedule in the non-con. Mizzou has 4 games to choose from, and KU only has 3. Since a lot of programs "get good" by scheduling weak teams, it would be interesting to see if Les Miles was interested in a true home/away exchange or a home/away at Arrowhead. If they're going to do it, I'd love it if they scheduled it in Nov. as the last game of the season. While it wouldn't have much in the way of conference implications, it could still be an important game for bowl reasons. I'm sure there is zero chance of that happening, though.
Nor have Mizzou fans but mostly because nobody thought it likely to happen. I think fans on all sides will embrace the rivalry now that it's back for the next 6 years (and hopefully longer). One has to separate the opinions of fans on message boards from the people who actually buy the tickets.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

bobbyhawks wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:49 am Part of me is excited to see them play again. Part of me is sad there will never be a meaningful game between them ever again (unless they meet in the NCAA tournament).
This is exactly how I feel about this. It was more fun for me when it meant something. This just seems like a version of the Mizzou-Illinois Braggin' Rights game, which always feels a little superfluous. But I suspect that these games will be wildly popular, even in this form.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

i prefer the current arrangement wherein mizzou just gets kicked in the junk by UK and whatever else happens (i don't really care *violently falls asleep*)
Last edited by warwickland on Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

chaglang wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:11 am
bobbyhawks wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:49 am Part of me is excited to see them play again. Part of me is sad there will never be a meaningful game between them ever again (unless they meet in the NCAA tournament).
This is exactly how I feel about this. It was more fun for me when it meant something. This just seems like a version of the Mizzou-Illinois Braggin' Rights game, which always feels a little superfluous. But I suspect that these games will be wildly popular, even in this form.
that was my like once every 7.1 years excuse to go to the landing
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I wish they would have them all in Kansas City. It creates an event atmosphere for a game that doesn't mean a whole lot.

But I understand the universities wanting home games.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

AllThingsKC wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:42 pm The basketball rivalry has been renewed for 6 years, starting in 2020.

2 games in Lawrence
2 games in KC
2 games in Columbia
4 of the 6 games will be played in Missouri! I love it!

#MIZ
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Looks like the rivalry could be coming back in football too.

Dave Matter tweet: Jim Sterk also said Missouri and Kansas are getting closer to finalizing a football series, with the first couple games probably at Arrowhead in KC. Mizzou is scheduled out into the 2030s but can move some games around.

http://twitter.com/Dave_Matter/status/1 ... 5595684865
KC is the way to be!
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

warwickland wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:27 pm
chaglang wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:11 am
that was my like once every 7.1 years excuse to go to the landing
Lol, maybe I was underestimating the value of the Braggin' Rights game.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KU and Mizzou agree to play each other in football.

2025 - Columbia
2026 - Lawrence
2031 - Columbia
2032 - Lawrence

So, we'll see where the series stands 12 years from now.
KC is the way to be!
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Good move by ku to do the right thing and accept games against Missouri. This is a pretty clear indication they think their program will have had time to ascend out of the mud after building a foundation on the hiring of Les Miles. He will be instrumental in setting the stage for renewed interest in the program, an uptick in recruiting talent and the possibility of more competitive teams in the coming years.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

StL_Dan wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:32 am Good move by ku to do the right thing and accept games against Missouri. This is a pretty clear indication they think their program will have had time to ascend out of the mud after building a foundation on the hiring of Les Miles. He will be instrumental in setting the stage for renewed interest in the program, an uptick in recruiting talent and the possibility of more competitive teams in the coming years.
I'd hate to see college football take a season off but it's a definite possibility. Miles isn't young and has only has a limited amount of time to make his mark at Kansas. Nonetheless, glad to see Mizzou and KU playing again.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

So is the KU-MU basketball game going to happen this year? From what I've read, probably not? That would push the first game of the series to 2021-2022. Would that be in KC or in either Columbia or Lawrence. Since it's only a 3 game series, KC probably just loses the game?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Highlander wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:13 pm So is the KU-MU basketball game going to happen this year? From what I've read, probably not? That would push the first game of the series to 2021-2022. Would that be in KC or in either Columbia or Lawrence. Since it's only a 3 game series, KC probably just loses the game?
What did you read? There's no "probably" about it

https://kuathletics.com/kansas-athletic ... -covid-19/
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

flyingember wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:53 pm
Highlander wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:13 pm So is the KU-MU basketball game going to happen this year? From what I've read, probably not? That would push the first game of the series to 2021-2022. Would that be in KC or in either Columbia or Lawrence. Since it's only a 3 game series, KC probably just loses the game?
What did you read? There's no "probably" about it

https://kuathletics.com/kansas-athletic ... -covid-19/
What I read was a while back. I had also forgotten it was a 6 game series. Good to know it will return to KC albeit later than I had hoped.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Looking forward to the restart of this rivalry on Saturday. Unfortunate that it was the KC game that got cancelled but happy they will be playing in KC in a couple of years. Hopefully, the rivalry returns as a permanent feature.