COVID & Carryout

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: COVID & Carryout

Post by KCPowercat »

taxi wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:46 am
scooterj wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:13 pm Anyone know if Caddyshack is still doing pizzas? They don’t seem to have posted anything online since before St. Pat’s and no one was answering the phone when we tried to call tonight.
Caddyshack has been closed for weeks.
Def closed on walk today
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Milwaukee Deli has announced they will be open Sundays from now on, beginning today.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

we got the easter family dinner from Potpie and it was terrific. great value, too. need to support them during the week for takeout!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm torn daily between this is a perfect chance to eat healthy at home and doing as much as I can to support these local places that I want to be there once I can go to their restaurant again.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Has anyone tried Chef J BBQ before? It just opened in march and think it's only on weekends in west bottoms. Looks really good. It looks like they are just doing bulk ordering/family style now. I would say its boutique bbq. Was thinking about ordering this one weekend.

https://m.facebook.com/chefjbbqkc/photo ... &source=49

https://www.instagram.com/chefjbbq/
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:52 am I'm torn daily between this is a perfect chance to eat healthy at home and doing as much as I can to support these local places that I want to be there once I can go to their restaurant again.
We're doing about two lunches and two dinners per week carry out. That's a LOT less than before. That being said, my daily physical activity is way down.

Very pleased that the Messenger kitchen reopened, so we can get a nice breakfast (avocado toast!) and a delicious coffee a few days a week.

Dinners continue from Affare, Pierpont's, and Blvd Tavern. We did one lunch this week from Yard House because we really wanted salads.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Great article on restaurant industry during all of this. The comments are worth reading also. Lots of restaurant owners putting there 2 cents in

https://medium.com/@joelleparenteau/why ... 07c4624745

https://medium.com/p/ca07c4624745/responses/show
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Affaire has been consistently great.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Had Jack Stack last night and while logistically it's well laid out for cars and the ordering process is good online, the food quality was poor and it sucked to pick up on foot. Pretty disappointed from a place that does a ton of catering and usually high quality.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

^Felt the same way. Fries were cold and soggy, the slaw seemed like it was old.

We did order bbq from Chef J BBQ in West Bottoms and it was tasty. Some of the best brisket in the city. It's more expensive then the other big names but it's pretty tasty
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:05 pm ^Felt the same way. Fries were cold and soggy, the slaw seemed like it was old.

We did order bbq from Chef J BBQ in West Bottoms and it was tasty. Some of the best brisket in the city. It's more expensive then the other big names but it's pretty tasty
Yeah my fries were horrible although the oven helped out. The spinach salad (don't judge me) was 1/4 wilted.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I got BBQ from Ice House and it was disappointing too, which really surprised me because I've been going about once a week for lunch basically since they opened, and it's always been good. But when it showed up on my doorstep (quite a bit sooner than Doordash estimated) the sausage was dry and kinda gross, and the brisket was significantly below par (but still OK). The ribs were also OK but kinda simultaneously dry and greasy, not as good as usual. The fries were at least still pretty good.

The Lulu's I got on a different day was phenomenal (as phenomenal as Lulu's gets, anyway). Does anyone know if Baramee is open and delivering via any of the various options? That place is great.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Baramee is open for carryout but not sure if they do any of the delivery services.

Got county road a couple weeks ago but I carried it out myself and it was very good.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Good to hear re: County Road. Hopefully my experience was a random outlier. I think that they're normally so consistently good in my experience freaked me out more when it was sub-par than it would have otherwise.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:35 pm Baramee is open for carryout but not sure if they do any of the delivery services.

Got county road a couple weeks ago but I carried it out myself and it was very good.
Yeah, I've been getting my County Road fixes curbside during this and it's been consistently good. I haven't tried having it delivered, even before COVID I've noticed that BBQ is one of those foods that just doesn't hold up as well for delivery. Not sure what the difference is between me taking it home myself vs a third party doing it, but there definitely seems to be one.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

the togo frose is a nice way to pass the walk home
auntbigdog
Pad site
Pad site

Post by auntbigdog »

I've had good carryout experiences with places already mentioned (Affare, Il Lazzarone, Ravenous), a couple of breweries (Alma Mader, Strange Days), and tonight Bob Wasabi. It wasn't like sitting at the counter and watching Bob work, but we do what we have to do. And it was delicious.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

https://www.kcmo.gov/city-hall/departme ... nse/reopen

KCMO initial plan. Anybody know restaurant capacities for any familiar places? Trying to think who could profitably reopen with 10% capacity.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Smart move, buys some more time while appearing to "open up".

10% or 10 people, whichever is larger. I assume that refers to customer count.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

The signing of your name and information is kind of weird. Are people doing this kind of stuff at Walmart. Most people at Walmart are staying longer than 10 minutes