COVID-19 Casualties

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

COVID-19 Casualties

Post by KCPowercat »

Confirmed list:

- Webster House announced 4/20
- Beignet announced 4/12
- Nick & Jake's South Plaza location announced on 4/8
- Parkway Social announced 4/23
- Jacobson
- t.loft on the Plaza announced 5/26
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: COVID-19 Casualties

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I don't know if Webster house closed cause of the virus. The place was never that busy and the owners had loads of money to take loses
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:33 am I don't know if Webster house closed cause of the virus. The place was never that busy and the owners had loads of money to take loses
I'm going to say that if someone closed because of COVID and never reopened we should track them here.

Adding Bar Louie.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

"We just felt that after the request that restaurants and bars closed, we just could not sustain our present operation and not knowing we could truly open. There are just so many unknowns. It's a great culture and so many people that work there," founder Shirley Bush Helzberg said.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:41 am
brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:33 am I don't know if Webster house closed cause of the virus. The place was never that busy and the owners had loads of money to take loses
I'm going to say that if someone closed because of COVID and never reopened we should track them here.

Adding Bar Louie.
Which location? P&L one closed before.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:42 am

Adding Bar Louie.
P&L closed Jan. 24 because the chain went bankrupt, so yeah before the order or even when restaurants started switching to carry out.
snigglefritz
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by snigglefritz »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:00 am

Adding Bar Louie.
P&L closed Jan. 24 because the chain went bankrupt, so yeah before the order or even when restaurants started switching to carry out.
Replace Bar Louie with Flying Saucer and THEN you have a COVID casualty.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

snigglefritz wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:07 am

I debated adding rumored ones but figured be better just go with confirmed closures.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Local casualty: Likely 10-15% of workforce w/out a job.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Local casualty: Likely 10-15% of workforce w/out a job due to CV.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

This may end up being the longest thread on this forum.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

snigglefritz wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:07 am

Is Flying Saucer out of business? I enjoyed that place. It was always packed every time I was there but it's been a couple of years since I've visited.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

It still did good business on event nights, but it had become noticeably less busy at other times. While all other Flying Saucer locations (other than the one inside DFW) are operated by their corporate parent, KC’s became a franchise operated by Cordish last fall. There are many more beer options for craft beer in the metro now than there was in 2008, and the KC location’s significant management turnover over the past several years didn’t help, either.

All that being said, it was still one of the top 2-3 craft beer bars in the metro when it closed; to preempt Kevin’s inevitable rebuttal, listicles that say that several breweries or Up-Down were better place for beer in KC aren’t applicable to what I’m referring to, as those things aren’t beer bars.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Added Jacobson to the list. Gotten independent confirmation that the Parkway restaurant people bought it up and are renovating it. There is definitely a lot of work going on at the site.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:59 am Added Jacobson to the list. Gotten independent confirmation that the Parkway restaurant people bought it up and are renovating it. There is definitely a lot of work going on at the site.
I loved the vibe, set up and cocktails at Jacobson, but I never liked the food. Sorry to see them go, but also encouraged it's such a quick turnaround.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^same
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I eat out a lot (or at least, used to P.C.) and am an optimist, small business owner and risk taker, but there are a ton of reasons why there are going to be a lot of casualties. I hope I'm wrong.

Unless testing becomes easier to get and preferably free for small businesses, I can't see how any restaurant is gonna make it. Most were operating on small margins and had little in reserves. I've spoken to owners who are doing OK with take out, but they are still losing money and working longer and harder than ever. If they have been able to hold out this long, opening back up for business is gonna be next to impossible. With reduced occupancy loads but enough staff to operate, most will lose even more money. Some do not have a layout that affords social distancing, even with a redesign. If a staff member comes down with symptoms of COVID-19, without quick and reliable available testing, they will all have to quarantine, which means shut down. Then there are liability issues with both staff and customers. A lot of staff don't want to work, since they are making more on unemployment. This will be the end for most small, locally owned restaurants and especially fine dining. I imagine there will be a rebound in a couple years, but I bet very few will survive over the next 6 months.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

What's at risk is experience dining and alcohol-centric dining. To quote the movie Office Space "People can get a cheeseburger anywhere, okay? They come to Chotchkie's for the atmosphere and the attitude."

When you can't get the experience it just becomes another restaurant to order takeout from. So places have to stand on their merits on the food.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I went brewery emperial this past weekend and they were letting people drink and eat outside. We were kind of surprised they allowed people to drink outside. I think places with lots of outdoor seating will have a big advantage for a year or 2
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

restaurants are just about the riskiest small businesses. So many fail and for multiple reasons. They are extremely hard work and for most with very little pay off. You do it because you love it, and sometimes you get lucky. I don't see the industry just going away, especially for local places and smaller concepts. Covid-19 has an impact but it will not define for years of all small local places disappearing.

Honestly we will see people returning to dining and living their life again. Plus as advances in treatment get better and we get a real understanding of the true infection and mortality rates it changes the narrative. I mean we know smoking causes cancer, it says so on the pack, we restrict who can buy it, yet every year people new start smoking and those who are smokers continue. People will want to live their lives and we will adjust as a society to this new threat, learn how to contain it & live with it. Hopefully we can cure it, but if not we'll learn to live with it effectively as we do with literally hundreds of other viruses that can result in death for certain people. I'm not trying to downplay anything or lessen the importance but "nature finds a way" and man will tame this monster as it has done since we have been around as a species.