Next Mayor 2019

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by KCPowercat »

Don't they just scan your id or registration card? I've never had them type in my name
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:27 pm Don't they just scan your id or registration card? I've never had them type in my name
Not when you bring your utility bill as proof (also per KC Star)
When Lucas showed up there, he said he handed over a utility bill as proof of his address. The poll worker searched for his registration but couldn’t find it.
after Lucas’ Tuesday morning tweet, Lauri Ealom, the Democratic director of the Kansas City Board of Elections, said that the poll worker had inadvertently flipped Lucas’ first and last names.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politic ... 5901.html
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

What 35 year old has easier access to a paper utility bill vs. their ID? I don't think I have seen a paper utility bill in 10+ years. This all seems like a bit of a stunt...
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I assume the Mayor still has a valid driver's license. I know he gets driven around now, but I assume he still has a car and such from his city council days. Polling places in MO just scan the bar code on your license to verify your address info. As long as that has been registered with board of elections you're good to go. He mentioned it the same polling location he's used for years, so I'll assume he has the same address and would have no problem.

I guess big take away is remember to bring your license when you know you are going some place that will require it.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

dukuboy1 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:47 am I assume the Mayor still has a valid driver's license. I know he gets driven around now, but I assume he still has a car and such from his city council days. Polling places in MO just scan the bar code on your license to verify your address info. As long as that has been registered with board of elections you're good to go. He mentioned it the same polling location he's used for years, so I'll assume he has the same address and would have no problem.

I guess big take away is remember to bring your license when you know you are going some place that will require it.
Yes, he has other, more legit, forms of identification than a utility bill.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Both things can be true:

- Voter ID is a thinly-veiled excuse for voter suppression to begin with, but as we're forced to show *something*, it might as well be the least-official form of ID.
- Even if this wasn't an pre-planned political stunt, never underestimate Mayor Q's Spidey-Sense for milking it for maximum publicity when an opportunity for one arises.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

So, in Missouri you have to show proof of residence every time you vote? In NC, you only do that when you register. At voting, just state name and address.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

missingkc wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:14 am So, in Missouri you have to show proof of residence every time you vote? In NC, you only do that when you register. At voting, just state name and address.
It's state law.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Thank you middle Missouri !

Yeah he definitely was trying to make this happen which I'm totally fine with because I don't like the law itself.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

chrizow wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:39 am What 35 year old has easier access to a paper utility bill vs. their ID? I don't think I have seen a paper utility bill in 10+ years. This all seems like a bit of a stunt...
Maybe Lawrence PD took away his license when they arrested him sleeping drunk behind the wheel of his car, LOL
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Federal court outlawed NC's voter id law.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Federal court outlawed NC's voter id law.
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

I saw on Twitter the Mayor brought his utility bill because his driver's license had recently expired and he hadn't renewed it yet.

This whole thing is being overblown and was simply a minor error on the part of volunteer poll-workers. Maybe Missouri just needs better training/vetting of poll-workers?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

1. The training is local, not done by the state
https://www.sos.mo.gov/pollworker/faqs

2. the reason the training is local is the registration systems are different by jurisdiction
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

JLowe2018 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:37 am I saw on Twitter the Mayor brought his utility bill because his driver's license had recently expired and he hadn't renewed it yet.

This whole thing is being overblown and was simply a minor error on the part of volunteer poll-workers. Maybe Missouri just needs better training/vetting of poll-workers?
I agree not a big deal, but the bigger issue is more voters just need to be prepared with things. Everyone should know what you need, license being the easiest most common for people. After that a state picture ID if you don't drive. I get there will always be exceptions but it's time to start taking ownership of one's own mistake and not blaming others if something goes sideways. I heard his reaction to things was not the most pleasant and lacked patience as they were trying to resolve it. If you forgot to renew your license that's on you, don't get upset if your utility bill you brought in might take a little longer to get resolved. Volunteers should have a be better trained to handle it but they are humans who make mistakes & their training I'm sure was a group setting of 30min power point or something like that.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

KCEB also mailed out Voter ID cards (they have an ID number! and a barcode!) about a month ago, so using a utility bill in this scenario is being willfully asinine.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

dukuboy1 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:10 am
JLowe2018 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:37 am I saw on Twitter the Mayor brought his utility bill because his driver's license had recently expired and he hadn't renewed it yet.

I agree not a big deal, but the bigger issue is more voters just need to be prepared with things. Everyone should know what you need, license being the easiest most common for people. After that a state picture ID if you don't drive. I get there will always be exceptions but it's time to start taking ownership of one's own mistake and not blaming others if something goes sideways. I heard his reaction to things was not the most pleasant and lacked patience as they were trying to resolve it. If you forgot to renew your license that's on you, don't get upset if your utility bill you brought in might take a little longer to get resolved. Volunteers should have a be better trained to handle it but they are humans who make mistakes & their training I'm sure was a group setting of 30min power point or something like that.
The KC Star says he spent less than 5 minutes at the facility and the poll workers had already corrected the error and had his normal ballot ready by the time he was leaving. I don't think it's unreasonable to spend more than 5 minutes at the polls.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

5 minutes at the polls is a wonderful time. I had read accounts that he had become frustrated,perhaps a 30 second dust up, I'm not sure. But you indicate his ballot was ready by the time he was leaving. So did he leave in a huff? My point, and it sounds like yours as well, is the polling folks took a unique situation that required a few minutes to resolve. However Mr. Lucas did not have the patience to wait 5 mins to get it resolved. Just wish he could have waited a bit to handle it within the time frame to show you easy it is to vote if you have an expired license.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Perhaps this is a good excuse to eliminate a redundant election authority: KCMO in Jackson County has their own, while separate county election boards cover KCMO in Platte, Clay, and Cass. All of that bureaucracy costs money.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Not sure where to put this, but The Public Works director is retiring effective May 1. Ralph Davis is appointed as Acting Director.

The city currently has an Acting City Manager, Acting HR, Acting PW, Acting General Services, and Acting EDC President. Not a lot of leadership right now.