Capping the Loop

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Capping the Loop

Post by alejandro46 »

So, would there be a CID district on each side of 670 to help pay for this? With how cheap capital is and more projects inbound, it seems like a great idea and time.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Walnut doesn’t even go anywhere and carries very little traffic. Make it the walking connection between DT and the Crossroads.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Wouldn't complain if Walnut is closed and would change bike path from Grand to Walnut (ridiculous to have an unprotected bike path down Grand with over a dozen buses running). But wouldn't complain if Walnut allowed road diet car traffic (along with bike path switched).
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:58 pm Won’t someone think about the cars????
I’m thinking of the [street]cars. Without Walnut, overflows from Grand closures will go to Main.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Eon Blue wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:09 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:58 pm Won’t someone think about the cars????
I’m thinking of the [street]cars. Without Walnut, overflows from Grand closures will go to Main.
Oak.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:15 pm
Oak.
13th where the closures start goes one way west.

The simplest path is to use Main if Walnut is gone
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

flyingember wrote: 13th where the closures start goes one way west.

If Walnut ends at the park, it would be more likely that they start closing that street for events next to the P&L District instead of Grand....an added plus.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:25 pm
flyingember wrote: 13th where the closures start goes one way west.

If Walnut ends at the park, it would be more likely that they start closing that street for events next to the P&L District instead of Grand....an added plus.
Interesting thought. Grand is used often simply because it has the most space for the festivals etc. I'm slightly on the fence about the idea of these festivals moving to the proposed park. It would be a better overall event, but being a block away, it could feel disconnected from the main entertainment hub. The events they do out on Grand and other streets are ultimately meant to bring guests down who will spend money at the various venues.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

flyingember wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:38 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:15 pm
Oak.
13th where the closures start goes one way west.

If you want to force cars to Oak, you need to move the Grand barricades south of 670 so that they can’t go west on Truman. And also add advance signage so more savvy drivers can use earlier streets to detour around the closure point.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Loop cap applied for BUILD grant of 25% project costs in 2018. Do we know if they plan on reapplying this year?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

normalthings wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:39 am Loop cap applied for BUILD grant of 25% project costs in 2018. Do we know if they plan on reapplying this year?
Is this available to the public like the streetcar applications are?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:39 am Loop cap applied for BUILD grant of 25% project costs in 2018. Do we know if they plan on reapplying this year?
Not sure if they intend to apply again this year, but Cordish still wants it done in the next 4 years and has already sunk a million dollars into the project. Late last year, the Governor was in town with Cordish specifically to discuss this project and the meetings were very positive.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:41 pm
Not sure if they intend to apply again this year, but Cordish still wants it done in the next 4 years and has already sunk a million dollars into the project. Late last year, the Governor was in town with Cordish specifically to discuss this project and the meetings were very positive.
Applications were due already so I assume its a no.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

It appears that a South Loop cap and interchange re-work are still on the books while MODOT plans additional investments in maintaining the north loop.

From MARC 2020-2024 TIP project list published yesterday.:

Project #1
Description: Scoping for improvements to I-670 from Wyandotte to Grand to mitigate environmental issues associated with I-670 and the adjoining properties. Estimated public-private partnership project with a total construction cost of $139M. In LRTP as project 777.

Project #2
I-70: SCOPING FOR CORRIDOR IMPROVEMENTS FROM THE DOWNTOWN LOOP IN KANSAS CITY TO WEST OF THE I-435 INTERCHANGE. POTENTIAL DESIGN-BUILD PROJECT. Future project cost estimate: > $100M

Project #3
BALTIMORE ST.: BRIDGE REPLACEMENT OVER I-670, 0.2 MILE EAST OF BROADWAY BLVD AND 0.3 MILE WEST OF OAK STREET. Project involves bridge A0817
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Would be very surprised if this isn’t underway by 2023 at the latest. Assuming the economy doesn’t free fall and the rental market stays strong.

I wonder how long a project like this takes from start to finish?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:06 am Would be very surprised if this isn’t underway by 2023 at the latest. Assuming the economy doesn’t free fall and the rental market stays strong.

Actual construction?

Klyde Warren Park in Dallas was ~3.5 years
Cap Urban Connector is a minimum of two years
St Louis' arch connector was 1.5 years

So 2-4 years seems likely depending on what can be shut down for how long during the process
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

flyingember wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:19 am
DColeKC wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:06 am Would be very surprised if this isn’t underway by 2023 at the latest. Assuming the economy doesn’t free fall and the rental market stays strong.

Actual construction?

Klyde Warren Park in Dallas was ~3.5 years
Cap Urban Connector is a minimum of two years
St Louis' arch connector was 1.5 years

So 2-4 years seems likely depending on what can be shut down for how long during the process
Interesting how the Klyde Warren Park is open to the public but operated by a private company and they have over 1300 events a year! I'm sure there will be some public pushback when Cordish tries to make a small section a private dog park for residents.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:35 amInteresting how the Klyde Warren Park is open to the public but operated by a private company and they have over 1300 events a year! I'm sure there will be some public pushback when Cordish tries to make a small section a private dog park for residents.
I'm not sure I follow.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:45 am
DColeKC wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:35 amInteresting how the Klyde Warren Park is open to the public but operated by a private company and they have over 1300 events a year! I'm sure there will be some public pushback when Cordish tries to make a small section a private dog park for residents.
I'm not sure I follow.
As has been mentioned in the past on here. Cordish is going to be financially contributing to this project and will also likely handle all operations. While it will be open to the public, I'm sure some events may require the park be closed except for event guests? Like Irish Fest for example. Also, Cordish will want to have a dog park that's for residents only to serve 2,3 and 4L.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'd take that especially if it means less closing of Grand