Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by alejandro46 »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:17 pm I don't know how much this would add to the kitty but Jackson county developing some of the TSC land into something couldn't hurt.
New jail site??
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

alejandro46 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:04 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:17 pm I don't know how much this would add to the kitty but Jackson county developing some of the TSC land into something couldn't hurt.
New jail site??
Heh. But, the need is real.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Last edited by langosta on Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

FWIW, sporting designed their stadium with expansion in mind. They can add 8k seats to the east end of the stadium alone.

Here’s a star article from a few years back on it:

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mls/sp ... 46573.html
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

earthling wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:50 pm
WSPanic wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:52 pm t it sounds an awful lot like something that is expected to receive 100% public financing. Which I will not support. If we want to gift the land to The Royals, that's fine, but they don't get a free billion dollar stadium. No way.

I'm hopeful Jackson county can get out of the stadium business altogether. It's just dumb luck we actually ended up with two good stadiums the last time around.
Agree, which is why it should be a project that involves primarily daily public access functions that secondarily happens to have a baseball/event field fused into it. Rather than an isolated baseball stadium that has some separate hotel/residential, which only those using those functions benefit from.
I'm not sure how well it functions in practice, but the SF Giants ballpark has a park/playground in the outfield that is open to the public at non-game times via a secondary entrance. You just sign in on your way in so they know how many people are inside the grounds (or at least that was the case 5 years ago).
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Quinton Lucas: Taxes for transit, incentives for developers: Heck no, we need to prioritize trash service and potholes.

Quinton Lucas: More taxes for (campaign supporters)firefighters and sports stadiums - - Hecka yea!
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

horizons82 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:57 am FWIW, sporting designed their stadium with expansion in mind. They can add 8k seats to the east end of the stadium alone.

Much too late to expand. They'll move sooner than later closer to downtown.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

In what way is it too late?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

horizons82 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:57 am FWIW, sporting designed their stadium with expansion in mind. They can add 8k seats to the east end of the stadium alone.

Is it just my internet acting up or is that Star article like a single paragraph long?
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

[/quote]

Is it just my internet acting up or is that Star article like a single paragraph long?
[/quote]

it's your internet
shinatoo
Ambassador

Future Stadium Plans: Chiefs and Royals

Post by shinatoo »

Heard from a credible source that the Chief are looking at plans for both rebuilding on the TSC site and at the Legends. Assume they will be playing the states against each other.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Future Stadium Plans: Chiefs and Royals

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

shinatoo wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:40 am Heard from a credible source that the Chief are looking at plans for both rebuilding on the TSC site and at the Legends. Assume they will be playing the states against each other.
I can definitely see that border war get incredibly heated with all of the outrageous tax related offers, or even outright taxpayer funding.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

So this is all gonna end in both TSC asking for yet another bistate tax with a KS chiefs stadium and a DT royals stadium being the carrots. Right?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

horizons82 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:49 am So this is all gonna end in both TSC asking for yet another bistate tax with a KS chiefs stadium and a DT royals stadium being the carrots. Right?
Trade Chiefs to KS for a DT ballpark? Sign me up.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

shinatoo wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:40 am Heard from a credible source that the Chief are looking at plans for both rebuilding on the TSC site and at the Legends. Assume they will be playing the states against each other.
I had heard from a credible source that Chiefs want Royals to go downtown and an entertainment district built in their place. Makes sense why they would want to move to Legends as well. I am a big Chiefs/Royals fan but will not support any public dollars for sports teams (maybe soccer is an exception).
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

I would be happy to see an entertainment district built in their place. Add some hotels and density. Eventually shoot towards connecting the grid back. While I would rather see all teams downtown I realize that tailgating is such a big aspect of football here it probably won’t happen.

Royals downtown makes sense though, probably would make it more attractive for tourists. I know plenty of people that check out sports games in cities they visit if they are accessible, and putting it in the middle of downtown by hotels would definitely make it more accessible.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I have heard similar too for awhile (maybe we're all talking to the same person lol).

The gist is the royals want to go downtown and the chiefs want something out of it too.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Saw this on the Twitter feed for Tom Martin, formerly a sports reporter at KCTV5
so today I heard the Royals to downtown is happening. Announcement date TBD. Could be next month, could be next spring But it’s happening.
KCDowntown
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCDowntown wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:47 pm Saw this on the Twitter feed for Tom Martin, formerly a sports reporter at KCTV5
so today I heard the Royals to downtown is happening. Announcement date TBD. Could be next month, could be next spring But it’s happening.
KCDowntown
Plz no gov. support
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I still think near 18th and Vine would be the best location, but I bet it'll end up in the East Village.