Pursuing FREE City-Wide Bus

Transportation topics in KC
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Pursuing FREE City-Wide Bus

Post by normalthings »

grovester wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:30 pm Think that's already been accounted for, still 2 million short, coincidentally the same amount as the annual subsidy to the streetcar.
How have the new Jackson County assessments affected TDD revenues? Is it possible that revenues went up enough to cover this? Either way,I do not support the removal of City funding to the streetcar.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

The "Anti-Progress" talking point has always been that the streetcar has been "stealing" 2 mil from the ATA.

Q is just pandering to that. Passing off heavy lifting to the council.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Taking money from the streetcar? Talk about killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Y'all need to reserve until the budget actually drops tomorrow.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Great news from BCBS!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

500k cut to EDC
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Sure, I'll wait until tomorrow and be cautiously optimistic!
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Hearing VisitKC is also being cut significantly. Good timing what with a taxpayer funded mega-hotel on the way. No need to sell our city.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Q excites me and frustrates me at the exact same time.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Is worth a one year experiment that could... create a lot of buzz if it works, connect people to jobs, connect visitors between key areas, reduce cars on roads, reduce parking needs and potentially change development patterns for the better. Many who don't use bus will still benefit.

Kudos to BCBS. Weren't they also key to initial bikeshare kickoff?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

smh wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:48 am Hearing VisitKC is also being cut significantly. Good timing what with a taxpayer funded mega-hotel on the way. No need to sell our city.
VisitKC was already underfunded but spends a big portion of its budget on marketing areas outside of KCMO. They really need to be under a bistate taxing structure.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:11 am Q excites me and frustrates me at the exact same time.
IMHO he hasn’t done anything good yet except for free transit which I think would have happened eventually anyways. Also, if free transit requires cuts to critical programs like EDC, VisitKC, and maybe streetcar in the future - is it really worth it?

That new fire tax would have had more then enough extra funds to boost funding for transit, EDC, Visit KC, and Children’s Mercy(who also lost funding).
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I think my excitement comes from my wishful thinking more than any concrete action to this point. The frustration is the actions so far.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

normalthings wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:33 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:11 am Q excites me and frustrates me at the exact same time.
IMHO he hasn’t done anything good yet except for free transit which I think would have happened eventually anyways. Also, if free transit requires cuts to critical programs like EDC, VisitKC, and maybe streetcar in the future - is it really worth it?

That new fire tax would have had more then enough extra funds to boost funding for transit, EDC, Visit KC, and Children’s Mercy(who also lost funding).
He is just redirecting funds to the groups and individuals who support him the most - Fire & Police Unions, Heavy Constructors Association. Free Transit is the only thing we support here but he's only doing it because it gives him a reason to cut other important groups (EDC, Visit KC) and looks really good to the urban core and casual voters. Other than that, he hasn't made a single positive move.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:17 am Kudos to BCBS. Weren't they also key to initial bikeshare kickoff?
Yes.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:33 pm

To be clear, the city can't cut into the dedicated fund for streetcar. They can only affect their $2.039 million annual contribution to that fund. Yes, that money is required to make the project work, but their cut can't exceed that amount.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Tomorrow is today and I'm not so optimistic!

Seriously, would this change scoring with DOT?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The city also had to dip into its general fund to make up for a shortfall at the Loews Kansas City Convention Center Hotel. Lucas’ budget cuts some resources from economic development and incentive agencies, programs he has often criticized.
Kansas City will have to dip into its general fund for nearly $4.4 million to support the Loews Kansas City Convention Center Hotel currently under construction at 15th and Wyandotte streets.

When the city agreed to a tax incentive package to support the hotel several years ago, it signed on to pay for several management and catering contracts through revenues the city derives from a hotel-motel tax. But that revenue hasn’t been sufficient. Receipts are expected to fall by $1.1 million this year, in part, because the city has redirected those taxes as development incentives for multiple projects.
https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/a ... 71086.html
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

grovester wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:44 pm Tomorrow is today and I'm not so optimistic!

Seriously, would this change scoring with DOT?
No.