Lamp Post District - Mission, KS

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Lamp Post District - Mission, KS

Post by AJoD »

Some entertaining copy here: https://www.thelojo.com/

The LoJo? lojo? The Locale

"Located smack dab in the middle of the City of Missions Lamp Post District, Locale is within a block or two of most every retail store you can imagine."

"Outdoor Public Courtyard to Connect w/ Lamp Post Street Vibe "

"Mission also hosts its fair share of annual events. Its most famous is Mission Sunflower Festival, which draws crowds from across the region"

"Wieners German Deli"

All that said, it looks to be coming along nicely.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Lamp Post District - Mission, KS

Post by kcjak »

I despise names like LoJo, SoDo, Lodo, etc. Try for something a little more original and organic than replicating SoHo. That said, I really like this project - it gives a nice bookend to the Gateway project. I've never understood why Mission didn't do more to develop their downtown with more residential, there's a lot of missed/wasted opportunity there now.
bchociej
Ambassador

Post by bchociej »

Yeah interesting copy job here for sure, but I have certainly seen this project proceeding with a refreshing speed. Happy to see most of the construction fences come down recently.
City Council Member for Ward 4 in Mission, KS
bchociej
Ambassador

Post by bchociej »

kcjak wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:44 am I've never understood why Mission didn't do more to develop their downtown with more residential, there's a lot of missed/wasted opportunity there now.
Yeah, as a resident, I'd love nothing more than to see some density development here. The current mayor and a good chunk of the council are certainly inclined to it. One problem is that a lot of neighbors cling to the suburban SFH vibe. The 4-story mixed use proposal at 6045 Martway got shot down after neighbors complained about the height. That's prime territory for that kind of development. If we can't get past that kind of resistance, things aren't looking great.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/c ... 42234.html
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I do not consider Mission as being well known for its lamp posts. :roll:
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:40 pm I do not consider Mission as being well known for its lamp posts. :roll:
The city of Mission approving installing Mission style lamp posts in the Mission Lamp Post District would be a enlightening mission
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Perhaps Mission could just change its name to Lamp Post, Kansas ? Has kind of a streetlife, hooker jibe -- edgy.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

herrfrank wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:54 pm Perhaps Mission could just change its name to Lamp Post, Kansas ? Has kind of a streetlife, hooker jibe -- edgy.
In Lamp Post, KS you would propose Mission style buildings. No lamp posts needed
bchociej
Ambassador

Post by bchociej »

FYI, nobody here is calling it the "Lamp Post" anything, or "Lo Jo" for that matter. All the councilmembers are just calling it "the Locale". The rest of the town, "the construction on Johnson Drive" :D

Anyway, chatter at the Mission Ward IV meeting tonight about potential redevelopment of the Mission Bowl site into residential. Seeing as I live directly behind the site, this is exciting. I also hope to see something thoughtful and appropriately urban. If anybody has thoughts about what kinds of things I might ask for when speaking to our planners and councilmembers, I'd love the advice, as I've never really had the opportunity to plug myself into a project like this so early on. Certainly don't want to see a cookie cutter 135th Street type of apartment complex go in here.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

bchociej wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:15 am
kcjak wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:44 am I've never understood why Mission didn't do more to develop their downtown with more residential, there's a lot of missed/wasted opportunity there now.
Yeah, as a resident, I'd love nothing more than to see some density development here. The current mayor and a good chunk of the council are certainly inclined to it. One problem is that a lot of neighbors cling to the suburban SFH vibe. The 4-story mixed use proposal at 6045 Martway got shot down after neighbors complained about the height. That's prime territory for that kind of development. If we can't get past that kind of resistance, things aren't looking great.

I have a feeling that anything overly close to countryside will perpetually be shut down. That’s like the hot neighborhood in Mission right now and with my friend who is a real estate agent telling me that a lot of people are trying to get out of the Shawnee Mission school at the moment, they can’t afford to make residence in the one popular neighborhood mad.

BTW, F Shawnee mission schools doesn’t get their act together fast I see the northern part of the county experiencing white flight hard and fast.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

empires228 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:17 pm
bchociej wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:15 am

I have a feeling that anything overly close to countryside will perpetually be shut down. That’s like the hot neighborhood in Mission right now and with my friend who is a real estate agent telling me that a lot of people are trying to get out of the Shawnee Mission school at the moment, they can’t afford to make residence in the one popular neighborhood mad.

BTW, F Shawnee mission schools doesn’t get their act together fast I see the northern part of the county experiencing white flight hard and fast.
Forgive my ignorance, but isn't Countryside it's own city/entity, or is it also a neighborhood in Mission? And isn't Countryside in the SM school district?
bchociej
Ambassador

Post by bchociej »

Countryside joined the city of Mission via consolidation (as opposed to annex) in 2003. It still has quite a strong neighborhood identity, though. Yes, it is in Shawnee Mission school district. And yes, it has some quite nice houses.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

bchociej wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:59 pmAnyway, chatter at the Mission Ward IV meeting tonight about potential redevelopment of the Mission Bowl site into residential. Seeing as I live directly behind the site, this is exciting. I also hope to see something thoughtful and appropriately urban. If anybody has thoughts about what kinds of things I might ask for when speaking to our planners and councilmembers, I'd love the advice, as I've never really had the opportunity to plug myself into a project like this so early on. Certainly don't want to see a cookie cutter 135th Street type of apartment complex go in here.
Definitely not cookie cutter 135th St, see page 21 and thereabouts
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Was in the area this evening, the Locale apartment complex ("Lojo" according to some of the signage :roll: ) has turned out rather nice:

Mizzou05
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Mizzou05 »

AJoD wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:51 pm
bchociej wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:59 pmAnyway, chatter at the Mission Ward IV meeting tonight about potential redevelopment of the Mission Bowl site into residential. Seeing as I live directly behind the site, this is exciting. I also hope to see something thoughtful and appropriately urban. If anybody has thoughts about what kinds of things I might ask for when speaking to our planners and councilmembers, I'd love the advice, as I've never really had the opportunity to plug myself into a project like this so early on. Certainly don't want to see a cookie cutter 135th Street type of apartment complex go in here.
Definitely not cookie cutter 135th St, see page 21 and thereabouts
This looks terrible.
bchociej
Ambassador

Post by bchociej »

Mizzou05 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:48 pm This looks terrible.
It's certainly getting mixed reviews around here, but I'm not afraid to say I like it.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

It has a certain retro feel.

Seems like it might have been deliberate to fit in with the adjacent Mission shopping center.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

It’s a pretty bad rendering. I’m sure the final product will look distinctly better, even if the actual design doesn’t change.
bchociej
Ambassador

Post by bchociej »

A preliminary development application was filed for the Mission Bowl site. The Planning Commission hearing will be 8/24 by Zoom. You can attend virtually or send written comments in advance. See missionks.org for details on that.

A number of changes to the plan along with some new renderings. No big departure from the original but they have improved things IMO. While the current property owner has stipulated no retail, they have included some live-work units with ground floor frontage, which you can imagine could easily be repurposed down the road.

They are more concretely pitching the rooftop terrace/pool, resident-accessible dog park, pocket "fitness" park along Rock Creek Trail, as well as improvements to the trail itself in front of the building.

Here are a few grabs from the PDF. See the rest by requesting the preliminary development application from the city planner.

Gets a thumbs up from me, especially considering the improved rear screening near my property line :D

AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Appreciate your advocacy, bchociej!

https://shawneemissionpost.com/2020/09/ ... il-101360/

I think the Locale development is pretty sharp, would love to see development along this corridor continue with multifamily that is more architecturally interesting than say, what is going on in downtown Overland Park. Looks like we may have a couple strong entries off the bat.