Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Westport

Post by kcjak »

Drove through Westport yesterday and Papa Keno's now has signage on the door listing City Barrel Brewing. And the Chick-In Waffle opened recently - anyone been?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

kcjak wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:17 pm Drove through Westport yesterday and Papa Keno's now has signage on the door listing City Barrel Brewing. And the Chick-In Waffle opened recently - anyone been?
Walked by the chicken/waffle place the other night on my way to WCB. Looked like a damn mess inside even though half of it was open.

Missed the City Barrel signage - not sure that's about.

And yet Sama Zama persists.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

WSPanic wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:46 pm
kcjak wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:17 pm Drove through Westport yesterday and Papa Keno's now has signage on the door listing City Barrel Brewing. And the Chick-In Waffle opened recently - anyone been?
Walked by the chicken/waffle place the other night on my way to WCB. Looked like a damn mess inside even though half of it was open.

Missed the City Barrel signage - not sure that's about.

And yet Sama Zama persists.

I think Sama Zama exists because maybe the owners parents are loaded or something and they can use the loses as a tax writeoff.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

I'll take it. I love that place.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Coming to Westport. Looks to be fancy soft serve ice cream with tons of toppings
https://frozen-gold.com/

Might put Westport Ice Cream and Bakery out of business
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:10 am Coming to Westport. Looks to be fancy soft serve ice cream with tons of toppings

Soft serve. 49 pennies at QT. Westport Ice Cream will be juuust fiiine.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Can someone start a thread of the bars NOT owned by Brent Alred? You can add Throwback and a few others to that list shortly.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:10 am Coming to Westport. Looks to be fancy soft serve ice cream with tons of toppings

Colorado is invading Westport.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

earthling wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:41 am

Just need to open a few dispensaries and it's basically Boulder.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

alejandro46 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:11 pm

Is there a lot of fights and violence in Boulder?
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Yeah, Westport Ice Cream closed a couple of weeks ago...couldn't come to terms with the landlord or something.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

kcjak wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:54 pm Yeah, Westport Ice Cream closed a couple of weeks ago...couldn't come to terms with the landlord or something.
Yep, had lunch in Westport and just saw the sign for lease. There are lots of for lease signs in Westport right now.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

That new Wingman/Sweet Comforts opened in the old Doughnut Lounge space.

Most everything there is breaded AND fried - which is not my favorite. There are a few sandwiches on the menu that look OK. The Sweet Comforts side of the menu is a bunch of dessert waffle combos and milkshakes. Was pretty crowded on Sunday evening.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:15 pm
alejandro46 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:11 pm

Is there a lot of fights and violence in Boulder?
:lol: come on, WP is not that bad, just gets a lot of negative PR.

Maybe the weed would help chill the agitators down? Or at least increase dessert sales as apparently we need 4 different ice cream and dessert shops in WP.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Westport made a nice transition when it started opening more restaurants and such instead of just stand alone bars. It helped to create a better vibe than just wild college bars free for all. There are still handful of just bars down there but I think the more they can get to create more of an "up scale" environment will help them. Sort of like the "OG" Crossroads.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Westport goes in cycles from obnoxious metro party bars to neighborhoody restaurants, often somewhere between. The Westport Association needs to stop preventing large scale residential developments unless they want to continue down obnoxious party bar path. Have enough neighborhood density and you don't need to depend on a metro draw. Can be inviting to metro while neighborhood drives what survives.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:13 pm The Westport Association needs to stop preventing large scale residential developments unless they want to continue down obnoxious party bar path.
The opposition to at least the Opus project was pretty broad amongst midtown neighborhood groups and other known interests. There's a lot of space between Opus and party bar central, especially for projects that don't involve demolishing a historic property. The two no votes on the council at the time were the two known best for preservation connections: Wagner and Shields. Sure there were lots of "too big!" and "OMG parking!" chants, but in retrospect I believe it would have sailed through if it had just been a parking lot (or any of the other not-noteworthy Westport retail stalls built long after the turn of the century).

Also, I hear a lot of general disdain for large-scale multifamily developments, even from people that aren't typically identified as NIMBY. Arguments range from the lack of architectural diversity, the incongruous scale required for developer ROI, etc. I don't mind them, mostly because smaller scale multifamily developments don't seem to be attracting much capital in KC.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I know, just teasing a bit. All the negative issues are always tied to the bars. I'm not a fan of the Johnny Kaws guy because I think he lacks creativity. Shot Stop, Yard Bar, Lotus, Bridgers and whatever else he owns are all just very bland, boring college bars. Nothing original and cheap builds.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Weirdly, the people who opposed the Opus project are solidly in favor of the TinyTown development above the Manor Square parking garage. A prominent midtown blogger explained to me that's because large buildings make more sense on smaller streets like Pennsylvania rather than larger streets like Broadway.

Between Opus and MAC's new buildings on Armour, the two projects that had drawn the most attention from the Midtown tinfoil hat crowd were both approved by council.... so maybe that's a sign of progress?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chaglang wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:19 am Between Opus and MAC's new buildings on Armour, the two projects that had drawn the most attention from the Midtown tinfoil hat crowd were both approved by council.... so maybe that's a sign of progress?
The MAC example is a bit more revealing IMO because it is essentially a blank slate at the intersection of two busy streets that are already mixed use or primarily multifamily. In that case, the primary concern was parking (which can often be a proxy for other concerns). We didn't see the pitchforks as much, but I chalk that up to the developer knowing how to handle neighborhood leaders (thus, keeping it off of Channel 2).