Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Three Light

Post by normalthings »

https://cityscenekc.com/three-light-con ... ly-summer/
The Cordish Co., which won city approval in 2018 for the incentive package for the $150 million project, has submitted its final drawings to City Hall and has hired J.E. Dunn Construction to build the 32-story tower.
Does anyone know where to find them?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The infinity pool looks like it has a glass side on the north, like a human goldfish bowl. Cordish says it is narrower than 2 light, but narrower in which dimension? Is it slimmer on the east-west axis or north-south?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:48 pm The infinity pool looks like it has a glass side on the north, like a human goldfish bowl. Cordish says it is narrower than 2 light, but narrower in which dimension? Is it slimmer on the east-west axis or north-south?
It is definitely slimmer on the east west axis and appears to be on the north-south as well.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

This will be an awesome building. I'm glad all the visually interesting elements have survived to this final(?) iteration.

Hopefully 4 Light comes soon after to fill up the Mainstreet Theater block across the street.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Hopefully 4 Light will be residential/hotel combo.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I like that this will be not as wide as Two. The projecting bay on the south side and its' line that is continued down the parking podium makes it even more visually slimming, like a person wearing vertical stripes. Cordish seems to be learning and improving even if it is increasing cost. This gives me hope for 4 Light. I was fearing a towering "L" shaped 2 Light, but I think they will come up with something better and sensitive to its location and neighbors. Too bad they are not developing Waddell & Reed. The out of towners get it, the local developers and clients do not. Good thing Strata is going up on the Cordish retail base otherwise the parkiing podium in the sky would probably next to the sidewalk on Main. But then city of Baltimore is an irredeemable dump according to our President who is about to declare that all Federal buildings in the country must be designed in the old Neoclassical style.
Last edited by moderne on Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:17 pm I like that this will be not as wide as Two. The projecting bay on the south side and its' line that is continued down the parking podium makes it even more visually slimming, like a person wearing vertical stripes. Cordish seems to be learning and improving even if it is increasing cost. This gives me hope for 4 Light. I was fearing a towering "L" shaped 2 Light, but I think they will come up with something better and sensitive to its location and neighbors. Too bad they are not developing Waddell & Reed. The out of towners get it, the local developers and clients do not. Good thing Strata is going up on the Cordish retail base otherwise the parkiing podium in the sky would probably next to the sidewalk on Main. But then Baltimore is an irredeemable dump according to our President who is about to declare that all Federal buildings in the country must be designed in the old Neoclassical style.
You really lost me there at the end. What?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Sorry, off topic, but Dear Leader wants all federal buildings in the future to adhere to a Neoclassic design. He is appointing people that share his opinion to the review boards. There is a preliminary draft of an executive order that Neoclassicism be the default style for new and remodeled facilities.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:51 pm Sorry, off topic, but Dear Leader wants all federal buildings in the future to adhere to a Neoclassic design. He is appointing people that share his opinion to the review boards. There is a preliminary draft of an executive order that Neoclassicism be the default style for new and remodeled facilities.
I am not sure if I would be opposed to that. Imagine a 20-40 floor neo-classical tower rising in downtown KC one day.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Here are higher quality renderings. If you click on them, they'll take you to my Flickr where you'll be able to zoom in.

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

moderne wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:51 pm Sorry, off topic, but Dear Leader wants all federal buildings in the future to adhere to a Neoclassic design. He is appointing people that share his opinion to the review boards. There is a preliminary draft of an executive order that Neoclassicism be the default style for new and remodeled facilities.
Nothing says "freedom" quite like mandatory uniform neoclassical bureaucratic architecture.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Sounds nothing like something a dictator would say.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

I wonder if every building must bear the image of the president, laurel-wreathed.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

missingkc wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:31 pm I wonder if every building must bear the image of the president, laurel-wreathed.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

kcjak wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:26 am Liking the bump out on the NW side. Now that we see a 'W' in the support columns, I guess we can assume a W hotel (sarc) :lol:
I saw that too and thought the same.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Perfect, Last Gentleman.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:07 pm Image
I think that Three Light is more attractive than Two Light. I think the new tower would pop even more if they used the green glass (like on the H&R Block building) on just the bump-out portions to provide a nice contrast.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

I notice that unlike Two Light, they are planning balconies on the entire south facade of Three Light.
I thought the reason balconies were not included on the lower half of Two Light's south facade was due to some regulation with the highway noise.
Could it be that a highway cap announcement is expected soon?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Critical_Mass wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:47 am I notice that unlike Two Light, they are planning balconies on the entire south facade of Three Light.
I thought the reason balconies were not included on the lower half of Two Light's south facade was due to some regulation with the highway noise.
It looks to me as though the south side of 3 Light is set back a lot farther than 2 Light was.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:56 am
Critical_Mass wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:47 am I notice that unlike Two Light, they are planning balconies on the entire south facade of Three Light.
It looks to me as though the south side of 3 Light is set back a lot farther than 2 Light was.
It's about a balcony depth set back. So maybe 5 or 6 feet?