GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by herrfrank »

I was working in 1KC Place (tallest building) during the Royals parade (and I still work in the building). We had workers stuck downtown until 9pm. If you didn't leave the downtown area early -- like by Noonish, you got stuck. There were cars abandoned on the interstates, on various sidewalks, curbs, and alleys, in front of driveways/ garages, etc.

Accordingly, the company has announced that workers in this building should plan to work remotely Wednesday.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Chiefs were valued at $2.1B last couple years (same as STL Cards). Imagine that will go up next year and continue to climb if Mahomes stays with Chiefs...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes%27 ... orts_teams

Edit: Forbes updated Chiefs value to $2.3B last Fall so should go up further than that.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozania ... 499a82f1bb
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I don't understand how New Orleans can be that low and Miami is that high. Nobody goes to Dolphins games. Support for sports teams in South Florida is a joke
Last edited by brewcrew1000 on Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:48 pm I don't understand how New Orleans can be that low and Miami is that high. Nobody goes to Dolphins games. Support for MLB teams in South Florida is a joke
New Orleans is small and poor. The metro has only 1.2 million. That's considerably smaller than KC and KC is a small market. The Saints also compete with LSU for fans throughout the state.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

The parade seemed quick. I think it lasted like an hour
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

This made the national news.

Police pursuit breaks out on Super Bowl parade route

https://www.kmbc.com/article/police-pu ... t/30778024
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

No way this was larger than the Royals parade. I'm guessing 200K tops. If you looked at Google Maps the traffic layer rarely turned orange/red all day long.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Restaurants weren't even busy. When the Royals happened most places ran out of food. I think the weather played a big part and I also think flashbacks of the royals parade. The setup on the hill was better. U could hear it all the way to gates on Linwood. The Royals one you couldn't even hear it on the hill.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:12 pm No way this was larger than the Royals parade. I'm guessing 200K tops. If you looked at Google Maps the traffic layer rarely turned orange/red all day long.
It was a significantly smaller turnout. I would estimate if the Royals was around 800k, this was somewhere in the 500k range. It was absolute gridlock getting anywhere near downtown for the Royals parade and people were parking miles away and just trying to walk to the site. The weather did play a major factor. Kudos to the people that spent 6 or 7 hours in the elements. That was impressive in itself.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I ate downtown right after the parade and the place was packed.

Also, I'm pretty sure most downtown employees did not go to work today if allowed. I know that played a significant role in traffic. In addition it just seemed like people both got there earlier and parked farther away or took transit. On top of that, I think most people didn't do both the parade and the rally. The Royals parade was so novel that people (including me) wanted to be a part of all of it just to see what it was like. This time around it seemed like everyone on the parade route where I was just left after the parade ending. Contrast that to the Royals parade where McGee was literal wall to wall people walking to get to the US hill.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

Whether you Love football or hate it, these guys are one super bad ass team. Incredible is even a more suitable description. The comebacks have been unbelievable. When these guys decide to go berserk on you watch out.

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

For sure my complete lack of desire to attend was informed by attending the unmitigated disaster that was the Royals parade, plus the fact that it was not only cold as balls but there was some chance of inclement weather. What I didn't count on was that some hundreds of thousands of other people would make the same calculation and stay home. I actually expected it to be even worse, but this was nowhere near as insane as 2015 barring the nutso car chase to kick things off. I guess we did learn that yeah, maybe I-35 isn't an appropriate place to park your car and walk into the city. Good for you, KC.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

"I'm a BEAST down here... HIT ME!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyoRfDTLaR8
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Kansas City is getting a lot of bad press in the national media right now from the boos during the moment of unity during the Texan's game. From what I understand from talking to people who were there, the boos were more directed at the Texan's decision to sit out the anthem. In any event, TYT (who I usually enjoy) has a commentator named Wosny Lambre on who's really going after KC (with some bizarre and false statements regarding the Kings departure from KC in the 80's).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCFwgm_tVHM&t=19s
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Personally I don't think that booing sitting out the anthem is especially better than booing empty gestures toward "unity," so I'm not sure how meaningful the distinction really is anyway. What I'm confused about is why anybody would expect anything else from a crowd of NFL fans willing to attend a game during a pandemic.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

phuqueue wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:09 pm Personally I don't think that booing sitting out the anthem is especially better than booing empty gestures toward "unity," so I'm not sure how meaningful the distinction really is anyway. What I'm confused about is why anybody would expect anything else from a crowd of NFL fans willing to attend a game during a pandemic.
Perfectly stated.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Highlander wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:21 pm Kansas City is getting a lot of bad press in the national media right now from the boos during the moment of unity during the Texan's game. From what I understand from talking to people who were there, the boos were more directed at the Texan's decision to sit out the anthem. In any event, TYT (who I usually enjoy) has a commentator named Wosny Lambre on who's really going after KC (with some bizarre and false statements regarding the Kings departure from KC in the 80's).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCFwgm_tVHM&t=19s
That guy didn’t know a fucking thing he was talking about in regards to the King departure to SAC. The fact that they had to compete with the Comets for revenue (Comets also being an indoor winter sport) or the fact that Kemper had the problem with its roof that drove the Kings back to Municipal, and the ownership group themselves simply wanted a market where they knew there wasn’t major sports competition locally for revenue, and they could get a new arena on the cheap. While I think everyone is pretty ducking opposed to racism, making up bullshit with no historical precedent does nothing to support your movement. But that is just my two cents.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/299 ... atform=amp

Nice article on Mahomes and his doubling down on KC
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

When Mahomes went down my heart about stopped. Seems when I watch them here in Tucson their Jinxed. Watching him play I flash back to the days of Len Dawson. Not sure what it is about his style that triggers that. Maybe his off balance side arn throws.
Good sounding crowed for as few as there was. If anyone goes to a game, take a Kcrag sign and I'll spot you.
Anyone planning to go ?
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

I'm going but I always sit in the upper level and never seem to get on TV.